Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

12 volt power source near back of coach

Hello,
I just installed some lippert power stabilizer jacks back just in front of my receiver hitch. I know I can run a 12V wire all the way from the battery, but does anyone know of a source someplace farther back? It's a small single motor so I don't need anything over 12-gauge. If not, I can run from the battery back....
Thanks,
Mark
McGivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #2

Mark. I used a jumper wire and used a new 15 amp auto resetting mini breaker. Ran my wire all the way to the Lippert jack that I installed. I used the loom tubing on the wire. There were notches at the tops of the frame outriggers along the I beams. I did not want to open the corplast underbelly to run the wire there.
I used a water tight box and cover like for an outside gfi. Lift cover and use switch to control the jack.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Hi Chris,
My jack came with the mini-breaker and black waterproof switch too. I guess I'll just do the same as you. I ran the rear camera wire via the same method and it wasn't too bad... I LIKE your idea of mounting the switch in a box! I may have to follow suit on that. Do you happen to have a picture of the switch/box installation? My email is markm85268@yahoo.com if that is easier than uploading...

How do you like the Lippert jacks? I did a trail run with bottle jacks and it certainly helped, but I suspect the Lipperts with the lateral support arms as well will really help..

Mark
Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Mark, Mine didn't come with a switch. I used 10 or 12 gauge 12v zip wire due to the length of the run. Used an appropriate ring terminal and connected to the charger bar to get the 12 volt source for the mini breaker. Added a ground lug to the frame close by and attached the mini breaker to the wall behind the charger bar and batteries. Due to the spacing of the mounting plate in the weather resistant box I couldn't mount the switch straight but has to align to the mounting holes to make it fit snug.

I believe the Lippert electric jacks added just before the boat hitch does the best at stopping the movement from someone walking upstairs or when running the washing machine, the spin cycle used to shake the entire RW. I decided to place the jacks as far back as possible to get the most benefit. I believe there was 13 or 14 feet behind the rear leveling jacks. I also use 6" square lumber the jacks pads so they don't have to extend all the way to the ground. Quicker to lower and raise. Kind of like the leveling system, the less the legs are extended the more stable they are.

I use bearing grease on the threaded shafts twice per year just to keep them lubricated and operating smoothly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.jpg (160.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5258.jpg (84.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5259.jpg (87.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5260.jpg (82.6 KB, 7 views)

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Looks great Chris.

I will do the exact same thing as I'm sure I can make the switch I have fit in a 1-gang box. I just need to order the loom from Amazon as they have 100' dirt cheap...

Thanks for posting the pics!

Mark
Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

for some one looking to add a rear electric jack I would suggest the ulta-fab over the LCi. The ultra fab you can set each jack at different hights and use them to level side to side . They have 2 motors that are independent of each other. 6000lb rated 30" lift. Etrailer sells them
Old 12-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

I already have 6-point auto level.... this is just for stability, and the LCI evenly distributes the load regardless of height differential, so it meets the mission objective as no differential control is needed.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #8

Chris, finally done. Thanks for the idea! Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191220_173950.jpg (178.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20191220_173944.jpg (211.5 KB, 8 views)