Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
HTX

110 power issue

Last night I lost all power with the exception of the plug in the dining area. Both AC units, all of the other plugs inside and that I have checked so far are dead. including the dedicated washer dyer plug which is not being used at all.

It's a 2012 36 RL that is stationary and for now only running on 30 amp service but it has been that way for the last 6 months with no issues or at least not to this degree.

I checked the breakers all seem good. The hardwired Progressive surge protector shows 122-126 and no fault codes.

I'll call my service company when they open up but in the meantime has anyone else had this happen?

HTX
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Make sure the twist lock at the cord entrance on back of the trailer is twisted to the right and locked.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
HTX

The problem identified

A contact in the generator transfer box burned up sending power to the neutral. The service tech by passed it until I can get a new transfer box so power is back up. I should have the box tomorrow (thank you Amazon Prime). Hopefully I will be back to normal on Thursday.

The obvious question to the tech was "what caused it" but I did not get a solid answer. "Maybe a bug or critter, it's not uncommon, I've seen it before" so in my mind still an open question.

BTW I have the generator prep package but no genset on board yet.

HTX
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #4

Well, glad to hear you got it squared away rather quickly.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 AM   #5

you mentioned your surge protector is hard wired. is it before the transfer switch?? if not you could have had a hit on one of the phases as it sounds like you burnt one of the phases. realistically if the surge is after the transfer switch it is not protected. this hit could have happened if when you plugged in the cord and you had some big items turned on and you had the pedestal breaker in the on position.
also if you have a clamp on meter when you get the transfer switch replaced turn on all your big items and verify your load is balanced. because if not it could put too much load on one side and burn it out.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted 95 View Post
you mentioned your surge protector is hard wired. is it before the transfer switch?? if not you could have had a hit on one of the phases as it sounds like you burnt one of the phases. realistically if the surge is after the transfer switch it is not protected. this hit could have happened if when you plugged in the cord and you had some big items turned on and you had the pedestal breaker in the on position.
also if you have a clamp on meter when you get the transfer switch replaced turn on all your big items and verify your load is balanced. because if not it could put too much load on one side and burn it out.
Ted - good question on how the surge protection is wired. Per HTX the Progressive system was showing all is well ("no fault codes"). If the Progressive unit is upstream of the transfer switch then the wiring/connections at the incoming plug/cable connections/power box should be okay. I am not familiar with the Progressive unit however I believe it does monitor neutral, ground, voltages, etc. Looking forward to HTX's comments after replacing the transfer switch. Kudo's to the RV technician locating the fault/problem so quickly.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

HTX,
I don't know what transfer switch Redwood used in 2012, but if it was an IOTA, there was a recall for those based on what you experienced. Below was the keystone recall.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...5V561-6263.pdf

I think my 2014 Redwood had progressive, but just not sure about 2012 so thought I would throw it out there.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

if the unit is inline before the transfer switch on the shore power side then you are protected from there and only from the shore power supply. you are not protected from the gen side at all.
what i have is a hard wired unit on the gen side. For as we all know gen power is really not the cleanest.
then a a plug type on the end of my 50a cord. where it plugs into the shore outlet. i know this is over kill but i know i'm 100% protected.

Just to explain why...years ago i was at a CG ..turned off the breaker...setup my shore cord with the surge..plugged it in and turned on the breaker...and started to fry/burn the plug where it went into the shore power. the surge shut off protected the coach but the 1 foot of wire and plug before the box burnt to a crisp. We could not turn the breaker off as it fried too.
the cause loose wires inside the plug --the neutral became live and crossed with the ground. and in their main got fried too. it was a fun 2 days everyone on that panel in the CG had no power
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

OUCH! Did you pull out of the campground late at night?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

Wow... you must have been popular that trip.
Was it inside the male end of your cord? Mine began to pull out of the molded end. Rather than replace the end with a DIY connector, I replaced the cord with ESCO 50A (STW) 36' w/Marinco end from Amazon. (Redwood OEM, but longer).
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

NO it was inside their tower. they figure the last gut pulled ut with the cord attached and pulled the wires inside the socked. then just pushed it back in and did not advise anyone
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #12
HTX

Pictures

One of the old box and one how my surge protector is set up.

One thing I thought about later was the night this happened I heard a loud pop in the general area of the basement. I wondered what it was but did not investigate. When I went to bed 30 minutes or so later I still had power it was only the next morning when I realized the power was out, except for the one plug in the dining area. It never lost power which still puzzles me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003 (2).jpg (118.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0585 (1).jpg (309.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #13

Another common problem is a loose wire lug. This will lead to heat and burned insulation on the wire. It also will usually char your connection plastic. It is a good practice to perform a wire lug check annually with your 110 disconnected and your generator auto start turned off.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #14
HTX

Easily could be but I don't move like a lot of the members of this board. So why now after running fine since I parked it in 10/16?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #15

I agree it should not failed, but my transfer switch recently had a similar failure just before turning into bed a few weeks ago. I was parked for 2.5 months at the time of failure. Others on irv2 forum have had similar failures because the lug nuts were not properly torqued to 45 in/lbs and were not rechecked after 15-20 minutes of load on the the wire/connection. Many of these failures have occurred on factory built units. In fact, Winnebago recently issued a service bulletin on this particular failure. They use a different transfer switch than Redwood, but they are fundamentally similar in function and design.