Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Talking Taking delivery next weekend, 38GK

Hi all: We've looked at RW for several years now, love at first sight. And we've checked out other units, but came back to the RW every time. We are a few years away from retirement, but plan to live full-time in our RW and will be taking this next month to parcel out all our household goods. We've read some really good tips from y'all about storage, kitchen, etc. Marge loves to sew and wonders if anyone has any good suggestions for creating a space saving cutting table. Do you sew at the dining table or do you have something else?
Cec & Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

You certainly have good taste in 5th wheels!

I would think you would want a separate sturdy folding table for the machine itself. I don't think the factory dining table is sturdy enough. Also the finish is not tops, and it would quickly show wear and tear. Just my mouse is starting to show wear on the finish.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

That's our plan exactly for our GK. Our cherry kitchen table at home is 72x36" and we plan to replace the couch with that. I'll make stringers with wheels for each end, raising the table to 36." We'll have a local custom cabinet maker modify Angele's sewing cart to fit underneath, and I'm designing a computer cart with a built-in lift for the 30" monitor. As needed, we can pull one of the systems out and go to work, but only one at a time. :-) This girl is one SERIOUS quilter.
She can also pull the table out, lower it back to 30," and use it for cutting out fabric, or I can use it for laying out the photographic portfolios I make. This will be so much more useful than just having a couch, we think. With just the two of us, the two lounge chairs are enough, and entertaining can be done outside. Hope this gives you some ideas. No pictures yet - it isn't built!
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cec & Marge View Post
Hi all: We've looked at RW for several years now, love at first sight. And we've checked out other units, but came back to the RW every time. We are a few years away from retirement, but plan to live full-time in our RW and will be taking this next month to parcel out all our household goods. We've read some really good tips from y'all about storage, kitchen, etc. Marge loves to sew and wonders if anyone has any good suggestions for creating a space saving cutting table. Do you sew at the dining table or do you have something else?
Since you have the GK, this may work out. I am also a crafty type person and in my 36FB I thought about using a card table with 3 legs down and slip it over the bed corner for extra room in laying out fabric, or just about any other craft. I then thought that this would work out well just using one of the folding RW chairs as an alternative sewing place, if need be. Or, a good place to do scrapbooking, or get away from the other half. (We all need our space!)

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
You certainly have good taste in 5th wheels!

I would think you would want a separate sturdy folding table for the machine itself. I don't think the factory dining table is sturdy enough. Also the finish is not tops, and it would quickly show wear and tear. Just my mouse is starting to show wear on the finish.
Brad - can't agree more.

We are ditching the factory table and replacing it with a solid Mahogany one, with 2 leafs that Judi's dad built many years ago. Will also be easier to secure to the bulkhead for travel than the round one supplied by the factory.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K View Post
Since you have the GK, this may work out. I am also a crafty type person and in my 36FB I thought about using a card table with 3 legs down and slip it over the bed corner for extra room in laying out fabric, or just about any other craft. I then thought that this would work out well just using one of the folding RW chairs as an alternative sewing place, if need be. Or, a good place to do scrapbooking, or get away from the other half. (We all need our space!)
What a great idea. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #7

Welcome to the family. I have to admit I'm always jealous to hear about another family making plans to fulltime.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #8

Tomorrow is the day to meet our giant back pack!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
S&K

Good Luck! Very Happy for you!!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #10
Traveling

Good luck!!! We are right behind you on Wednesday!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
38gk, cec & marge