Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Smile Soon to retire to full time RV and love RW

My wife and I will early retire this year and go full time RV and we really love the Redwoods!

We like the new 4001 floorplan and hope to find one in our area soon to see (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas).

We joined this page to read others inputs, war stories, and thoughts on RW and if you had any druthers or tips for our search.

Thanks for any info anyone may have!

- Jeff & Wendy
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:19 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your retirement ! We are also within weeks (maybe a month ): from doing the same. Exciting for sure as with us our 7 day a week working lifestyle will come to an end (we are private business people with a farm )...
Thats great you found a floor plan that you like...Redwood has many plans that people feel at home with....A suggestion with your Redwood search....Finding a "lightly " used one sure can deal out some great benefits...Other than the obvious big advantage of the original buyer having to absorb the depreciation costs compared to the second buyer. Often used units have extra options that that can cost a premium if considering them in a new unit....generators...solar....extra awnings...laundry....the list goes on....plus some have had suspension up grades.
The question of quality between new units and ones with a few years of experience is a hot topic....maybe for another time....
Good luck on your retirement and your search for "your" perfect Redwood....

We

2015 38 RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

The 4001 is a great floor plan. So much so we traded our 2019 340rl that was loaded with just about every option available on it for the 4001
We bought our 4001 from explore USA in Denton Texas.
All the best in your full timing adventure
Striper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #4

Do yourself a huge favor you won't regret and listen to wintertree on his advice about buying used. Let some other poor soul (or sucker) take the huge hit on driving a new one off the lot. Many have very little use unless the previous owners were full timers and hopefully they have the bugs worked out. If you are counting on the warranty on a new one forget it. For the most part they suck and are only as good as the dealer. Any problems you may have, and trust me there will be some, will be a hassle. Have a backup plan on where you will live when your home is in the shop for days weeks or even months. As far as loving redwood, NEVER love anything that can't love you back. Read the posts on here before you take the big plunge and look at other brands. The rv industry only cares about the bottom line and nearly every one of the manufactures are putting out real junk. Think about spending 100k on anything that only has a 1 year warranty. Goes to show how much confidence they have in their product. Trust me I had a 2016 39mb that looked beautiful inside and out but was the biggest pos I've ever owned. Please do your homework.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
Do yourself a huge favor you won't regret and listen to wintertree on his advice about buying used. Let some other poor soul (or sucker) take the huge hit on driving a new one off the lot. Many have very little use unless the previous owners were full timers and hopefully they have the bugs worked out. If you are counting on the warranty on a new one forget it. For the most part they suck and are only as good as the dealer. Any problems you may have, and trust me there will be some, will be a hassle. Have a backup plan on where you will live when your home is in the shop for days weeks or even months. As far as loving redwood, NEVER love anything that can't love you back. Read the posts on here before you take the big plunge and look at other brands. The rv industry only cares about the bottom line and nearly every one of the manufactures are putting out real junk. Think about spending 100k on anything that only has a 1 year warranty. Goes to show how much confidence they have in their product. Trust me I had a 2016 39mb that looked beautiful inside and out but was the biggest pos I've ever owned. Please do your homework.
Wow I just clicked on 3 posts where this guy has to trash Redwood. You would think 1 would suffice...

I am in the other camp. I knew that I was only going to purchase one 5th wheel. Did my homework and had a new one built. The problem with ones on dealers lots are that they are under specked to keep the cost down to compete with other dealers and manufactures on their lot.

If you are not going to re-sell it, then I am glad to hear you ordered one built to your liking. I believe that you should be able to get a price somewhere around 30-35% below retail suggested price. While that does not take away the first year deprecation, it lowers the sting.

I ordered mine in 2016 and got the 2017 model year. Still LOVE MY REDWOOD!!
Old 03-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #6

No Redwood trashing on my end....we love our trailer...however I have been an RV tech in my past, and know that RV's in general suffer from similar issues. There are makers that have more than their share of problems. Also there is a "lemon" in every crowd ...Find something you like....a dealer you like....don't have expectations are are too high and enjoy life. Sometimes off setting the huge initial cost by buying used can give you a better frame of mind when it comes time to do some repairs. Not sure if I would recommend any "working class" people in purchasing a high end RV if they do not have at least some hands on skills.
Working Class--not wealthy--worked for what we have obtained and achieved.

Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Wow I just clicked on 3 posts where this guy has to trash Redwood. You would think 1 would suffice...

I am in the other camp. I knew that I was only going to purchase one 5th wheel. Did my homework and had a new one built. The problem with ones on dealers lots are that they are under specked to keep the cost down to compete with other dealers and manufactures on their lot.

If you are not going to re-sell it, then I am glad to hear you ordered one built to your liking. I believe that you should be able to get a price somewhere around 30-35% below retail suggested price. While that does not take away the first year deprecation, it lowers the sting.

I ordered mine in 2016 and got the 2017 model year. Still LOVE MY REDWOOD!!
I've also read all this guy's negative post of RWs in about every recent topic.
It's too bad he got a lemon, but it can happen regardless of make, model or price.
We fulltimed in ours for 6+ years with minimal, or at least normal, issues, nothing that in most cases I wasn't able to fix myself.
Regardless of make, model or price they are RVs & as such WILL require constant maintenance of some sort. If you are physically unable or not a handyman with plenty of tools get a vehicle that gets great fuel mileage, a hotel directory & hit the road, DO NOT buy a RV of any kind.
Wouldn't/couldn't of found any better full-time rig in the same price range as our RW, enjoyed very minute of our experiences. If buying another wouldn't hesitate a second buying another RW.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 AM   #8

We're on our second RW. Started by ordering a 2012 36RL, had several small issues but it never spent the night at any service center. Traded up to our current 2016 39MB for the Butler's Pantry and the large Front Bath. We've had a few issues, but nothing really major; it did spend a week at the RW Service Center to repair a delamination spot above the door side basement door where the Factory never caulked. Now has 45K miles on it and still going strong.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #9

well,

I hav read all his negative comments as well, he must really have a BAD trailer... or his standards are completely off kilter.... Not to mention it was used when they got it... who knows how the prior owner took care of stuff...
**. IF ** the Redwood truly is that bad, I feel sorry for them and hope all issues either got resolved, or will get resolved quickly

Either way, like Michelle, I am on my 2nd Redwood, the first was a 2016 that only had a few minor issues that were covered by my dealer or myself.

the second is a 2020 and I really like this one, as a matter of fact, I am in shelter mode as my immune system is pretty crappy and I am working out of my Redwood in the driveway.

BOTH Redwoods had a couple of small issues, they were either covered by the dealer ( 2 different) or myself.....

Would I tell others to purchase, You bet.... Would I buy another.... If I had to, you bet
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote