Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 AM   #1

Soon to be Full timers !

Greetings all ! We are two weeks away from picking up our new to us 2014 38RE...We have been looking for a trailer for some time and finally found one close to us here in Alberta Canada....We would have had it by now but upon inspection I found some water damage under the bed room slide in the slide floor....the dealer agreed to have it fixed (properly)....other than that I am happy with the unit...(Don't worry....I was an RV tech for years and the repair will be done right by the dealer!)...As our climate here is extreme the trailer was used for a few weeks a year then stored in a large building at a farm........Our farm is being sold and we should be out at the Canadian West Coast (Vancouver Island) some time later 2019 where we will be living full time in the Redwood.. Big change for us....but we are looking forward to it as life up till now has been mostly work...Thankfully we have had some fore thought and when we replaced one of our trucks, we did so with a dually turbo diesel....this will be moving the 38RE around for us....Any info about full timing in these rigs is welcome !
Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #2

Wes , welcome aboard! Glad to hear your dreams are becoming real, I am sure you will enjoy your time out on the road and meeting new friends .

as far as the truck is concerned unless you have rear air ride already put a set of airbags in the truck and regardless if the truck is new replace the rear shocks with Bilstein's 4600 or Rancho Rs9000X. Hitch wise I would suggest you get a trailer saver or some type of hitch that has a means or absorbing road shocks. then if your tow a lot of miles consider morryde independent suspension.
http://www.comfortridehitch.com/index.html

http://www.morryde.com/products/87-i...2F4-suspension

Long heavy 5th wheel trailer can bounce the truck around and all these options will make your travel times much more enjoyable.
Mark
Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I'll second everything that Mark said above based on 42k miles towing our 2013 36RL. Especially consider the MorRyde IS suspension and definitely do discs. I also recently changed the shocks on the IS to Bilstein 4600 and made a really good ride for the trailer even better. My hitch is a 245 Comfort Ride. If your coach has the Trail Air Tri Glide pinbox, seriously consider replacing it. There is a "closet recall" on it as a number of the sliding hitch plates have failed. If you call Lippert thy will send you a solid plate but unless you have a cushioned hitch that defeats the purpose. A lot of us, myself included, have switch to a MorRyde pinbox and like it.

You've become part of a great group with a ton of knowledge. Never hesitate to ask anything and welcome to our band of characters. Lol
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Also regarding your water damage many people have posted finding the issue being the drain hose for the washing machine hookup coming apart under the bed. I am not sure if that is the same for your model
Old 02-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #5

Unexpected unit change !

I introduced myself and our plans....plus the trailer we were about to purchase a very short time ago.....Wow ! how things can change quickly...!....I inspected the trailer that needed repair and was disappointed in the outcome (for the price point).....However my thoughts and desires to purchase a Redwood has not changed....But so many times in life things can turn on a dime and a better scenario will result.. Prior to deciding on a Redwood Denise and I traveled to a center about 1 1/2 hours from where we live to look at a completely different trailer...I was unimpressed with the unit.....Is was large a roomy......but felt "cheap".....I had a chance to sit down with the salesman and talk of what king of unit I was looking for.....A week earlier I had gone into a local dealership and my wife and I looked at a new Redwood in a heated showroom....The unit was ok....not our choice of layout.....but the unit was the type we would be looking for.......The sales man grinned and said they just got a used Redwood in....2015 model....I went over and had a look at it.....and fell head over heels with its layout and all the options it had....however the price was out of budget.....Well after the deal fell apart on the unit that needed repair i decided to phone our sales man back and actually make an offer on the 2015 unit....Happy to say offer accepted......we are back on track with a pristine 2015 38RL....I am so pleased with it....and it has all the options I could ever need....So ....Things do work out
Thanks all !
Old 02-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #6

Congrats Sounds like it is going to work out great for you. We love our Redwood and believe you made the right choice.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
I introduced myself and our plans....plus the trailer we were about to purchase a very short time ago.....Wow ! how things can change quickly...!....I inspected the trailer that needed repair and was disappointed in the outcome (for the price point).....However my thoughts and desires to purchase a Redwood has not changed....But so many times in life things can turn on a dime and a better scenario will result.. Prior to deciding on a Redwood Denise and I traveled to a center about 1 1/2 hours from where we live to look at a completely different trailer...I was unimpressed with the unit.....Is was large a roomy......but felt "cheap".....I had a chance to sit down with the salesman and talk of what king of unit I was looking for.....A week earlier I had gone into a local dealership and my wife and I looked at a new Redwood in a heated showroom....The unit was ok....not our choice of layout.....but the unit was the type we would be looking for.......The sales man grinned and said they just got a used Redwood in....2015 model....I went over and had a look at it.....and fell head over heels with its layout and all the options it had....however the price was out of budget.....Well after the deal fell apart on the unit that needed repair i decided to phone our sales man back and actually make an offer on the 2015 unit....Happy to say offer accepted......we are back on track with a pristine 2015 38RL....I am so pleased with it....and it has all the options I could ever need....So ....Things do work out
Thanks all !

Well Done! wish you and the wife the very best. We enjoy our 2015 RL-38 , what color is your?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Also regarding your water damage many people have posted finding the issue being the drain hose for the washing machine hookup coming apart under the bed. I am not sure if that is the same for your model
Water damage was the floor under the bed.....caused by a lower slide molding not being installed / sealed properly....Days of rain running down the exterior of the outer slide wall and getting behind the lower slide flange and wicking into the end grain of the 3/4" luan ply under the slide....Its not an exterior grade ply so it degrades quickly and becomes a mussy mess....Any exterior molding that is only sealed with a tiny bead of silicone along its edge and does not have sealant behind the molding as well is prone to failure.....as this aluminum moves differently than the fibreglass exterior in regards to expansion and contraction....
Its an assembly line issue / mentality....time is $$ so slap it together...Wes
Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #9

2015 38rl

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
Well Done! wish you and the wife the very best. We enjoy our 2015 RL-38 , what color is your?
Ours is the black and gold full body....such a beautiful unit...Wes
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 AM   #10

Wes & Denise 2015 38RL

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...ttach/jpeg.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_498.jpeg (128.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #11

Nice Rig. we love our 38RL also