Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #141

we are big fans of state parks so we might check it out... thanks
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #142

Ben recommend the following IPAD/IPHONE and/or Computer applications, I have used all in our planning for our upcoming 8200 mile trip throughout the US and was pleased with their processes: If you are military - military rv site app, national parks, rv parking.com, good sam rv park finder, all stays camp and rv, passport america. Cracker Barrell restaruant has a good app for IPAD/IPHONE
Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #143
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
we are big fans of state parks so we might check it out... thanks

Steve
Have you had much problems getting your rig into the state parks? I too like state parks but most of my knowledge is from the parks on the west coast and we plan on traveling across the bottom and up the east coast next year and it would be nice to be able to use as many state parks as possible

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #144

There have been a couple that we couldn't get into but most have been fine. We always call and talk to someone at the park and tell them our needs.
I also like to do a Google Earth view of every campground we are checking out and go to campgroundreviews.com to get reviews from people that have actually stayed there.
The downside of state parks is that I rarely get a satellite signal but the last park we stayed in had cable. If we can't get over the air signals we have a lot of stuff on the DVR to watch.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #145

John,

Thank you for your recommendations. I have downloaded them all and will check them out. When you are planning your RV trips how do you make yourself aware of tunnells and low clearance bridges etc.......

Steve,

There was one state park that was my biggest challenge to date for the Redwood. A very private state park campground area (not to many sites). A bit of an issue to get out of. Campers had warned me about the big turn at the bottom. That was the easy part lol. It was the challenge I faced making atight downhill left coming out of the site I was in to get on the downhill winding road to get to the turn that was a bit of a challenge. Made it out but it was a nail biter at best.

Best Regards,
Ben
benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #146

I used the good sam rv club site and placed an avoidance in the route preference about low clearance 13ft 6in and less, that gave me a basic route and then I went to other sites to gather campground info, things to do, etc. The good sam route planner is pretty good from a planning perspective but we do not start our trip until 1 June so I have no practical experience. I also just purchased a Rand McNally Trip Maker RVND 5510 as Camping World had them on sale but, again, no practical experience with that item as well. However, playing around with it while sipping a bourbon on my front deck at home it appeared relatively easy to use.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #147

I just got the rand McNally gps for rver's. It is supposed to tell me about low bridges. Went to a known low bridge and it let me drive through. Does any one know about this gps? Do I have to do any thing special not to take the top of our RW off
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #148

I just purchased mine, I would like this info as well
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers
I just got the rand McNally gps for rver's. It is supposed to tell me about low bridges. Went to a known low bridge and it let me drive through. Does any one know about this gps? Do I have to do any thing special not to take the top of our RW off

I have one and have not had any issue's with it. When I received it I went in and set up my RW information and so far no issues have run just over 5,000 miles using it
RigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #150

in the RV information entry did you enter the height of your rig? perhaps that is key to obtaining a correct routing. I am online now with my RNVD 5510 and will search and let you know
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #151

Yes I did and the under pass I went through was 11 ft and I rec'd no warni g. Maybe this is not a very well publicized spot.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #152

i would have lost 2 ft of my roofline. need to do some more research regarging rand mcnaly 5510
Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #153

Yup we do. I sent an email to them. I will post the reply. Scary
You buy a safety system and it doesn't't work.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #154

it's got my attention. Good Sam RV Club Route Planner allows you to avoid low overhead items.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #155

Great. Coulda kept my old gps. I will find out if I can send it back. Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #156

We've been using the Garmin Nuvii 365T with good luck so far. It's a truckers model so you load in your rig's info and it steers you clear of low clearances and tight spots (hopefully).
The newer models have more bells and whistles but the price is about the same as mine. I especially like the lane assist feature that the Nuvi's have, especially in urban areas.
We still keep a paper map with us and refer to it along the way just for added peace of mind. My DW is a map reader and navigator.
I'm going to check out the Good Sam's route planner now too... thanks for the tip.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #157

I have a nuvi. Oh well. We will se what Rand McNally has to say. Have a nice evening. Will post info.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #158

Not sure about some of the new units, but most are designed for major highways and truck routes. If you get off on secondary roads I think you'll be on your own. I have one near home I use to check these route planners, including GoodSams Trip Router and everyone directs me down this route that I know the Monty won't make so I'm sure the 36RL won't either. Check them out for yourself. Find a secondary road route with a low bridge or overpassand see if it will route you through. As long as it's main roads I've had no problems and we've got over 20K mileson the Monty now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #159

Ok. Thamks
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #160
Site Team

I have been researching both the Rand McNally 5510/7710and Garmin nuvi 465T. In all cases, I think you have to enter the dimensions of you truck/trailer rig.

Those of you that are referring to the Good Sam route planner...........is that the Good Sam service or the their GPS?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote