Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #21

Been fulltiming for 11 years and rving for many years we certainly know about doing our own repairs but we just bought this new 2019 and most of the things should have been taken care of before it left the manufacturer.. Our first long trip things should not start falling apart and we should not have to make the repairs.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:19 AM   #22

Thanks, I am very handy on repairing our old 5th wheel but really don’t think I should have to due repairs on a new rig. Especially what you pay for them.
AKBugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #23

Thank you the main thing is if your looking to buy a new one and the salesman is telling you all these little things will be repaired when you pick it up. Beware it's not that simple. Took possession in Nov. Still waiting in February for completion of repairs and now we have more. Technician has to look at everything first then they present to the manufacturer for repair. It's a long process and it's hard if you live in the rv fulltime.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #24
par

Alex-FBI. we are happy for you...
We have a 2014 FL36 purchased in 2013 and to keep a very long story short, I wish I could go back and have a redo. We expected to have issues, but not to this extent. This is a big decision, shop around in this price range and good luck.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #25

The best solution when buying new, the last thing to be done when picking it up & after doing the PDI is the payment, once EVERYTHING is to your satisfaction. Once you tow it off their lot it's yours.
Also I know it's a PITA & shouldn't be so, but if it's something that your are able to repair, especially fulltimers, just do so, in most cases you'll do a better job of it in less time.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #26

I had a 2016 38RL that I really liked, a lot, we had a couple small issues that were either handled by me, or the dealer.

The dealer can make or break your RV life, with a real bad one, it will hurt for a long time..

We liked out "16" so much that when we had to replace it last spring, we did not hesitate to pull the trigger on a new 2020 Redwood 3991RD.

We also had a few small issues with the new one that were either handled by myself, or the dealer.

We did look at a few others last spring before deciding on another Redwood.. the short list was - Solitude, Ceder Creek-Champaigne addition, Landmark 365, Vilano..

Overall, I think that in the price range of the redwood, they are best in class on a good day.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #27

I agree with others - the newer the unit seems like the more issues we are having. We had a 2015 Forest River - had no issues. Bought the 2018 Redwood to be getting ready for full time - have had some issues. I think once we get them all fixed I hope it gets smoother sailing for us.
Dnagele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #28

Joe

What was your impression of the Landmark 365? I've never been inside one, but the resemblance to the Redwood is remarkable. I sure see a lot of them in our winter park, but we also have 10 or so Redwoods.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Joe

What was your impression of the Landmark 365? I've never been inside one, but the resemblance to the Redwood is remarkable. I sure see a lot of them in our winter park, but we also have 10 or so Redwoods.

Jim, we were not impressed at all.. the fit and finish seamed a step below, the materials also seemed to be a step below.

The outside paint looks nice, then they place a decent sized lions head on the side of the RV and use vinyl overtop of the clear coat ??

My wife was walking up the steps to the bedroom and missed a step, she leaned on the pocket door wall to the bathroom and felt like she was going all the way threw..... It had a ton of flex..

The 1 model we were in had the closet doors laying on the floor, the sales guy told me they are almost all like that when they arrive, he said they just re hang them and send them on their way.

The tri fold sofa should be called a dual fold, I tried for 10 minutes to get that folded into a bed and could not, the salesman was at a loss.

We really thought that we were gonna be in a Landmark, but the redwood won the contest...

I also follow 2 people on Instagram that Both switched from their Landmarks , 1 to a new Riverstone, and the other to am class A. Both told me to look real hard before purchasing them..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #30

Thanks a lot Joe for your candid response. We've had our Redwood since April 2013 and after getting the suspension, tire and brake problems remedied, are still happy with it. Just the other day some couple walked by and struck up a conversation about the Redwood. When I said it was 7 years old, they were very surprised.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #31

I spend 6 months a year in my 2015 GK. This will be my forth year and it only keeps getting better. I do believe that upgrading the suspension to IS, goodyear tires and the disk brakes was money well spent. That was the first year. Every year after that, I have made improvements.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #32

Jim, when we were looking to change from our 36RL to a front bath floor plan, we looked at the Landmark 365 with the same basic floor plan. The Landmark had some nice features, but in the end we felt that our 39MB gave us much more internal storage than the Landmark offered.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBugman View Post
My wife and I are considering a new 340rl and have recently come across some very unsatisfied owners of Redwood 5th wheels. They were very unhappy with the pour workmanship and warranty service they received.can anyone help with these reviews on the Redwood product that are being produced today? Thanks AKBugman

We went to the Tampa RV show in Jan and took a good hard look at all new brands of upper level 5th's. Each had something unique, but our take was that the RW surpassed all of them in style, engineering and elegance. Problems with RV's is not just inherent with RW, it's system wide. I spoke with a couple of RW reps about the problems and they said, part of it has to do with the assembly demand, however; a large part had to do with the RV workforce in general. They said, there's too many RV job openings and it's hard retaining reliable employees, despite good wages and bene's.

That said, we're happy with our 2017 RW and yes we had some issues as well, but with a 2 year warranty, most all the issues have been addressed. Without question, I'd purchase another RW over any of the other manufacturers. We winter in a luxury RV resort in SW FL. There are 13 RW owners ranging from 2014 to 2020, and I'd say they're all satisfied, some more than others.

What are some of the new features in the 2020 RW's? Amazing space, a 12" on 12" drop frame, SS kitchen bib sink, a (must have) full residential oven/range (no more pilot lights), two-toned colored cabinet option, and a walk in closet at the nose in a couple of models, plus a central manifold for water shutoffs, better hydraulic accessibility and a modern elegant look that is second to none. Some of the negatives for RW are, that they're using linoleum sheet flooring instead of vinyl tile. My question is that, if there's an imperfection or damage to the linoleum sheet, how will you fix or address that? Also, missing many of the unique storage compartments that I enjoy now in my 2017, like a pull out storage desk, tool box and rear storage compartment. (the RW rep said they eliminated that rear compartment because of costs and that there were too many leaks)

Simply to say that the quality of the older is better than the new, has reasoning flaws and I believe had much to do with the particular workforce building the unit that day. Without question, the engineering and standard components are better.

We're going to take another RW plant tour this spring and I will look at things with more critical eyes this time around. Would we buy another? Well, would and will are two completely different thoughts, but we do like what we saw.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #34

Thanks for all your input. I think we are going to move on a new 3401 rl soon.
AKBugman is offline   Reply With Quote