Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

New Redwood 38RD Owners

Hello all,

My wife Lisa and I just traded in our 15 month-old Chaparral 336 for a new Redwood 38RD, and we have also ordered a '17 Ram 3500 dually 4X4 to pull it with. Until the new truck comes in (4 to 6 weeks), we are stationary at our home in Central Texas. Then we are heading to Colorado to visit our kids & grandkids!
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
Hello all,

My wife Lisa and I just traded in our 15 month-old Chaparral 336 for a new Redwood 38RD, and we have also ordered a '17 Ram 3500 dually 4X4 to pull it with. Until the new truck comes in (4 to 6 weeks), we are stationary at our home in Central Texas. Then we are heading to Colorado to visit our kids & grandkids!
Congrats on the new purchase! And it sure sounds like you will have the horse to pull that wagon!

Good Luck, and Happy Camping !

joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Smile

Sounds like you are going to have the right truck to pull the RW.You will enjoy the RW and welcome to the forum lots of good people here to help you if need be.

Dale & Tracey
Dogs; Ringa & Callie
2015 38RL
2012 Dodge Limited
Dale & Tracey Fietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome, folks, and believe me, I have lots of questions! I'm fixin' to ask for help solving the mystery of the tv cable wiring. Redwood apparently doesn't feel the need to label anything or to provide a wiring diagram.

When we went truck shopping our salesman tried to convince us that either of the two duallies he had on the lot would be up to the task of pulling our Redwood. When I started talking pin weights, payloads, GVWR, and GCWR, he relented and pulled out his towing capacity charts. We went straight to the bottom line and ordered the "baddest" truck on the list-- the 4X4 high-output dually with the Aisin tranny, 4.10 gears, auto-leveling, etc. Next time we head to the mountains, (any mountains), I don't want to have to wonder about getting over the higher passes. That was a problem for our 6.4 hemi Ram 2500 4X4 when pulling our 12000 pound Chapparal at altitude.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
congrats on the new rig and welcome to the group
Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
Thanks for the welcome, folks, and believe me, I have lots of questions! I'm fixin' to ask for help solving the mystery of the tv cable wiring. Redwood apparently doesn't feel the need to label anything or to provide a wiring diagram.

When we went truck shopping our salesman tried to convince us that either of the two duallies he had on the lot would be up to the task of pulling our Redwood. When I started talking pin weights, payloads, GVWR, and GCWR, he relented and pulled out his towing capacity charts. We went straight to the bottom line and ordered the "baddest" truck on the list-- the 4X4 high-output dually with the Aisin tranny, 4.10 gears, auto-leveling, etc. Next time we head to the mountains, (any mountains), I don't want to have to wonder about getting over the higher passes. That was a problem for our 6.4 hemi Ram 2500 4X4 when pulling our 12000 pound Chapparal at altitude.
Hard to beat the combination you have set up I know you will have a worry free setup, enjoy

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 AM   #7

Our 38rd has been problem free so I hope you will have the same luck as we have. As far as the cable wiring goes, we had the direct tv person map ours and label them. The camper is in winter storage for another 4 weeks or I could provide the mapping of the wires. Sorry..

Congrats on the new truck and camper...
Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #8

Glad to see that you're onboard.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote