Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

New owners of 2012 Redwood 36RE

Hello everyone,

We just picked up our new to us Redwood out of Corpus Christi. We spent the first 3 nights in it in Corpus Christi then trucked it 1,200 miles back to Bradenton FL. (How's that for a maiden voyage ) This may not sound like a huge feat, but we are complete newbies to RV'S and this was the first time for me to pull anything this large. I have to say I am impressed at how well this Redwood pulls. I'd say I knew within the first 50 miles that I was going to be alright pulling it. But man for the first 3 days looking at it in the campground I was pretty intimidated.

A little about us... My wife Kelly is a travel nurse. So we travel the country from assignment to assignment. Currently we have been taking the housing and moving from apartment to apartment every 3 months. (Moving from apt to apt gets old) So for the past year, we have been doing our homework and looking at every model RV there is. We were already planning to become full-timers. We had narrowed it down to a short list with Redwood being more of our dream RV and not actually thinking a Redwood would be possible. But as luck would have it, we found a Redwood in great shape and within our budget, and here we are, new Redwood owners.

We are looking forward to meeting other Redwood owners as we travel! So if anyone sees us, feel free to say hi!!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Welcome! We're glad you're on board.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

Welcome to our world of RV'ing... Congrats on the purchase and we hope it lasts a long time for you.... Good Luck!
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
congratulations on the new house. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and great people willing to help with any questions you may have, Safe travels
Old 03-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Welcome to the group.Congratulation on the RW.Hope you enjoy it as we do ours.

Dale & Tracey
Dogs; Ringa & Callie
2015 38RL
2012 Dodge Limited
Dale & Tracey Fietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Did you buy at Corpus Christi Rv? That's where we ordered ours from 3+ years ago, good sales staff, can't comment on service, never been back.
My sister was a traveling nurse for several years & the constant changing apartments burnt her out, I tried to talk her into a small motor home, but she didn't think she could drive it.
Enjoy your new home & welcome aboard this group of great people!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris&Kelly View Post
Hello everyone,

We just picked up our new to us Redwood out of Corpus Christi. We spent the first 3 nights in it in Corpus Christi then trucked it 1,200 miles back to Bradenton FL. (How's that for a maiden voyage ) This may not sound like a huge feat, but we are complete newbies to RV'S and this was the first time for me to pull anything this large. I have to say I am impressed at how well this Redwood pulls. I'd say I knew within the first 50 miles that I was going to be alright pulling it. But man for the first 3 days looking at it in the campground I was pretty intimidated.

A little about us... My wife Kelly is a travel nurse. So we travel the country from assignment to assignment. Currently we have been taking the housing and moving from apartment to apartment every 3 months. (Moving from apt to apt gets old) So for the past year, we have been doing our homework and looking at every model RV there is. We were already planning to become full-timers. We had narrowed it down to a short list with Redwood being more of our dream RV and not actually thinking a Redwood would be possible. But as luck would have it, we found a Redwood in great shape and within our budget, and here we are, new Redwood owners.

We are looking forward to meeting other Redwood owners as we travel! So if anyone sees us, feel free to say hi!!

Welcome to the Redwood community. We have been Redwood owners for 4 1/2 years and over 17,000 miles. We winter just up the road from you north of Palmetto, FL at Winterset RV Resort. Hope you enjoy your Redwood as much as we do ours.

Read the forum thoroughly especially if you are going to be on the road a lot. You will that there are some weak design issue in any RV trailer design........those being suspension, brakes and wheels. The forum has many threads discussing those issues and what you can do to improve the product and how to minimize those issues.

Again, welcome to the Redwood community.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

Congratulations on that new rig!!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Congrats and welcome to the group.

Char
Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the forum. My wife is also a travel nurse and we bought this unit for this very reason. She will start traveling in about 3 months. I have spent the past 7 months getting my RW ready. Please stay tightly connected with this forum. This forum has lots of information of problems that have occurred with others, and it will save you problem in the future. As I read, others mention their problems, I go to my RW and inspect for the same problems and I overt problems in the future.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice. I had actually joined the forum when we were first considering the RW. I wanted to get a feel on the major problems RW owners were having with their RW. What I was looking for was whether a particular year, a particular model that I should avoid due to known issues. What I found was, yes there will be problems along the way, but RWs are built the best that anything can be considering it is mobile and moving down the road as much as they do. I also have noticed the support and sharing of information that this forum is invaluable to the other owners to address problems. For instance, I am now dealing with the sticky D seal issue. I am convinced that the issue is completely user error and not a defect. When we inspected our unit at the dealership this was one of many points I specifically looked at (I had a long list of inspection points thanks to this forum ). When I inspected them at the dealership they were fine. Only found one small blemish about half way up on the dining room slide. Not a big deal. However on the literally fourth time I opened the slides, all of them are a sticky gooey mess. Literally half the seals stuck to the slides and the other half is still on the track. But the reason I think it is user error is because I think it was caused by some chemical the dealer used to detail the RV for delivery. So now I am working on replacing all the D seals on our coach. But thanks to this forum I have the knowledge to tackle this project!

So thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. For a while I'll probably be absorbing and using the information as the issues come up. But as I get better at this, I'll try to contribute as I start to do projects to our RW.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Did you buy at Corpus Christi Rv? That's where we ordered ours from 3+ years ago, good sales staff, can't comment on service, never been back.
My sister was a traveling nurse for several years & the constant changing apartments burnt her out, I tried to talk her into a small motor home, but she didn't think she could drive it.
Enjoy your new home & welcome aboard this group of great people!
We purchased ours from Colonia Del Rey RV Sales on South Padres Island. They are not a Redwood dealer. It was a previously owned unit that was on consignment.

We love traveling this great country of ours and spending time in places that most people don't get to see. But moving our belongings from apt to apt does get old. Also finding housing is starting to become difficult. Some areas simply don't offer short term leases so that limits what assignments we can take. With a RV we have more freedom and opportunities to take assignments that may not be possible otherwise.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Welcome to the Redwood community. We have been Redwood owners for 4 1/2 years and over 17,000 miles. We winter just up the road from you north of Palmetto, FL at Winterset RV Resort. Hope you enjoy your Redwood as much as we do ours.

Read the forum thoroughly especially if you are going to be on the road a lot. You will that there are some weak design issue in any RV trailer design........those being suspension, brakes and wheels. The forum has many threads discussing those issues and what you can do to improve the product and how to minimize those issues.

Again, welcome to the Redwood community.
Thanks for the advice! I had been looking at the Moride suspension system even before we decide on a RV as an upgrade for what ever we purchased. I hadn't thought about going to disc brakes so thanks for the advice on that. I'll look into it.

Our RW is currently in storage just a couple of miles down the road from you. We're still in a lease at our apartment for a couple more months. So that gives me some time to work on our RW before living in it.

I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee (or a beer) and pick your brain about the Redwood.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I had actually joined the forum when we were first considering the RW. I wanted to get a feel on the major problems RW owners were having with their RW. What I was looking for was whether a particular year, a particular model that I should avoid due to known issues. What I found was, yes there will be problems along the way, but RWs are built the best that anything can be considering it is mobile and moving down the road as much as they do. I also have noticed the support and sharing of information that this forum is invaluable to the other owners to address problems. For instance, I am now dealing with the sticky D seal issue. I am convinced that the issue is completely user error and not a defect. When we inspected our unit at the dealership this was one of many points I specifically looked at (I had a long list of inspection points thanks to this forum ). When I inspected them at the dealership they were fine. Only found one small blemish about half way up on the dining room slide. Not a big deal. However on the literally fourth time I opened the slides, all of them are a sticky gooey mess. Literally half the seals stuck to the slides and the other half is still on the track. But the reason I think it is user error is because I think it was caused by some chemical the dealer used to detail the RV for delivery. So now I am working on replacing all the D seals on our coach. But thanks to this forum I have the knowledge to tackle this project!

So thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. For a while I'll probably be absorbing and using the information as the issues come up. But as I get better at this, I'll try to contribute as I start to do projects to our RW.
I would be going back to the dealer if I were you and see if they will replace your seals. Any petroleum based cleaning products will eat right through them. If there were no problems with them on the dealer lot and happened after PDI They Would be responsible.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I would be going back to the dealer if I were you and see if they will replace your seals. Any petroleum based cleaning products will eat right through them. If there were no problems with them on the dealer lot and happened after PDI They Would be responsible.
Yeah if I were closer I probably would. But I'm 1200 miles away and the cost of traveling that far to take it back would be more than the cost of the seals. Plus I will have the advantage of doing it myself and knowing that it is done right. I know it's aggravating unexpected expenses right off the bat, but I look at it a as the seals are a consumable part. They do wear out and have to be replaced from time to time. So I might as well learn from it.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #16

pex line repairs 90 /flex line

I have this exact same camper i just bought it used recently,2012 36 RE.

Issue #1. Washer drain Flex line under bed pedestal,
flooded corner of bedroom first time i used the washer, must pull bed pedestal apart at the top panel to get at it.
separated flex line fitting from pvc male compression adapter, there were no washers installed from factory at all on flex line ends, put back together retightned compression fittings. gentle tug to test connection and it came apart again,
bought some new compression fittings and stretched 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" neoprene washers from HD, it stays together now, tight and no leaks!!

Also Saw a video fix on this site or u tube and installed "lowes" 2 brass "Blue Hawk" 90 degree pex fitting with 1/2" hose barb brass inlet fittings with clamps,

Cut plastic inline splices out,
90's make a better fit for washer supply line hose under bed with supply lines tie wrapped together
the rerouted supply hoses should not hang up on anything now, by cutting plastic fittings out and put some brass blue hawk pex 90's they swivel as they come out of floor with 1/2" hose barbs,
A blue pex tubing cutter was from lowes worked great.

couple packages of clamps brass fittings and liquid teflon and a assortment of tie wraps to tie up washer supply lines together so they wont hang up and tidyed up wires in there too with tie wraps.

test slide and watch hoses to make sure they have free movement leak check everything,

might put a couple blocks between luan sheeting to give more clearance under bedroom pedestal drawer flex line compartment paneling has sagged a little bit and could cause flex hose to hang up.

Another redwooder also cut out lower 1x2 out for more clearance must check that out lucky i have a small hand held sawsall if necessary.

2. Next issue was original washer supply lines were kinked at the wall, installed new stainless braided lines from HD orange box store as they were kinked from the tight fit in the washer slide out,
installed brass 90 degree brass hose inlet fittings and stainless braided lines from HD orange box store in the washer slide out working well now.

Also washer is so heavy and awkward in the cabinet. washer inlet pressure error on machine? website said check strainer assembly,
its under front lower access cover covered by woodwork of cabinet face.
3. found a large womens ear ring in drain pump strainer assembly which is under front lower cover concealed by front cabinet base tough to get out of there raised it up on 2x4 blocks so i could remove cover tough job.

Also replaced water heater anode and element, wire brushed and buffed old one for a spare element covered in calcium and water filter trashed also
Faucet aerators were choked up to, had low pressure at all faucets. replaced one with new delta faucet did not have acess to OEM "Duro" brand cartridges, works better now.

this was a very unexpected project but it is handled now for the moment and should be problem free .

Karl b.
Austin Tx /Dallas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washer supply fittings2.jpg (596.2 KB, 6 views)
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #17

Karl, you been busy boy! Most all of those repairs have been done to nearly every RW that's left the factory either by a dealer or owner, unfortunately they will more than likely be leaving the factory today with those very same problems. In your case it's fortunate that you are/were able to repair the problems yourself & not have to leave it at a shop for who knows how long. We really enjoy our RW & would probably buy again, DW says no way are we trading, but with all rvs, regardless of brand or price, they are lacking in the quality control departments. Keep up the good work!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #18

took a week for a repair guy to become available and dealer said it would be 6 week wait and i had to leave it then would have no place to stay, so I had to tear apart and get heater in on carpet to dry anyway
yalls advise and insight helped me to tackle this repair in a competent manner bout 5 trips to hd and lowes later and 2 days solid labor.

the washer machine was the grand finale.

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
I have this exact same camper i just bought it used recently,2012 36 RE.

Issue #1. Washer drain Flex line under bed pedestal,
flooded corner of bedroom first time i used the washer, must pull bed pedestal apart at the top panel to get at it.
separated flex line fitting from pvc male compression adapter, there were no washers installed from factory at all on flex line ends, put back together retightned compression fittings. gentle tug to test connection and it came apart again,
bought some new compression fittings and stretched 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" neoprene washers from HD, it stays together now, tight and no leaks!!

Also Saw a video fix on this site or u tube and installed "lowes" 2 brass "Blue Hawk" 90 degree pex fitting with 1/2" hose barb brass inlet fittings with clamps,

Cut plastic inline splices out,
90's make a better fit for washer supply line hose under bed with supply lines tie wrapped together
the rerouted supply hoses should not hang up on anything now, by cutting plastic fittings out and put some brass blue hawk pex 90's they swivel as they come out of floor with 1/2" hose barbs,
A blue pex tubing cutter was from lowes worked great.

couple packages of clamps brass fittings and liquid teflon and a assortment of tie wraps to tie up washer supply lines together so they wont hang up and tidyed up wires in there too with tie wraps.

test slide and watch hoses to make sure they have free movement leak check everything,

might put a couple blocks between luan sheeting to give more clearance under bedroom pedestal drawer flex line compartment paneling has sagged a little bit and could cause flex hose to hang up.

Another redwooder also cut out lower 1x2 out for more clearance must check that out lucky i have a small hand held sawsall if necessary.

2. Next issue was original washer supply lines were kinked at the wall, installed new stainless braided lines from HD orange box store as they were kinked from the tight fit in the washer slide out,
installed brass 90 degree brass hose inlet fittings and stainless braided lines from HD orange box store in the washer slide out working well now.

Also washer is so heavy and awkward in the cabinet. washer inlet pressure error on machine? website said check strainer assembly,
its under front lower access cover covered by woodwork of cabinet face.
3. found a large womens ear ring in drain pump strainer assembly which is under front lower cover concealed by front cabinet base tough to get out of there raised it up on 2x4 blocks so i could remove cover tough job.

Also replaced water heater anode and element, wire brushed and buffed old one for a spare element covered in calcium and water filter trashed also
Faucet aerators were choked up to, had low pressure at all faucets. replaced one with new delta faucet did not have acess to OEM "Duro" brand cartridges, works better now.

this was a very unexpected project but it is handled now for the moment and should be problem free .

Karl b.
Austin Tx /Dallas
Karl,
Good information. We currently do not have a W/D installed yet. And it doesn't appear that a W/D had ever been installed. It is high on the list of priorities. I think that before I install them I will proactively make these changes and not chance it. Again, thanks for the great insight!