Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #1

New Owner Intro

My wife and I just took delivery of a new to us 2013 36RL. Hopefully the grumpy complainers on the board are wrong and this beautiful camper proves to be all we expect: a comfortable sturdy camper that will require some upkeep as we did with the Montana and do with our house, and will be a great camper for many years to come as we get the last of our 8 kids out of the house!

We paired the camper with a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie edition long box, and an Anderson Hitch. I'm a little worried, based on forum comments, about the marathon tires but figure that there isn't anything I can do about it anyway so I'll just roll with what comes along and happens.

Maiden voyage is a 1000 round trip to Wyoming in 5 weeks...looking forward to some cowboy football, fly fishing with my wife, and the comfort of these beautiful RV's!
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Good Luck. We just traded a 2012 for a 2015 so, regardless of the problems, Redwood still delivers more please per Dollar than anyone else.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcom to the forum and to Redwood RV'ing. I hope you enjoy your rig as much as we do ours. I would watch those Marathon tires very closely and save up your $$ and change them to better tires soon. Happy Camping.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Warren - welcome to our group ! We also have a 'we 36RL and love it. It has been and continues to be a very good coach. Minor stuff like they all have.

I would second what Bruce said above - the earlier production coaches in 12-13 had the E tires standard and they are not enough. You really should consider changing them for G Goodyears before the long trip if at all possible. If not, please keep a close eye on them for pressure and watch your speed. They are only rated for 65mph max. I would also suggest a digital laser temperature gun. They aren't expensive, can get them on Amazon. I check all the tires on the rig at every stop for temp.

Enjoy it !
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Welcome Warren
There is a lot of knowledge and very helpful people in this group. Hope you enjoy your new toy.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

I would also second what Vaughan says about tire temps. I also use an IR temp. device to measure tire and bearing temps. when I stop.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Warren - welcome to our group ! We also have a 'we 36RL and love it. It has been and continues to be a very good coach. Minor stuff like they all have.

I would second what Bruce said above - the earlier production coaches in 12-13 had the E tires standard and they are not enough. You really should consider changing them for G Goodyears before the long trip if at all possible. If not, please keep a close eye on them for pressure and watch your speed. They are only rated for 65mph max. I would also suggest a digital laser temperature gun. They aren't expensive, can get them on Amazon. I check all the tires on the rig at every stop for temp.

Enjoy it !
I'm already looking into tires....I admit I was hoping to get out of buying a set so so, but I didn't change my Montana tires so it's Karma catching up to me. About the laser temp reader, what brand and what am I using it to check? This is the first time anyone has suggested a laser temp reader.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Here is the one I purchased.

Amazon.com: Dr.Meter® IR-20 Non-contact Digital Laser IR Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun, Yellow/Black -- Upgraded With Memory Function: Industrial & Scientific
Old 08-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

Grumpy!

Good luck with your new rig. We like the 36RL.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

WarrenR we love our 36RL. It has been a great rig and only minor issues, mostly factory work being done too fast. Trim, a/c duct fixes and replacing the E rated marathons. I did get the infamous crack below the bedroom slide. I will most likely purchase another RW when the time comes. Good luck with yours.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Warren - I have the same temp reader as Bruce. Keep it in the driver door storage pocket and anytime we stop just walk the rig and point it at the hubs and tires. You don't even have to bend over, 18" or so away will give you a good reading.

What you're looking for is variation. For instance, all 4 of my trailer tires will usually run 115 or so in the summer. Sometimes a bit more and up around 120 if it's really hot. If you check them and 1 is at say 140-145, I'd suggest doing some investigating.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
My wife and I just took delivery of a new to us 2013 36RL. Hopefully the grumpy complainers on the board are wrong and this beautiful camper proves to be all we expect: a comfortable sturdy camper that will require some upkeep as we did with the Montana and do with our house, and will be a great camper for many years to come as we get the last of our 8 kids out of the house!

We paired the camper with a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie edition long box, and an Anderson Hitch. I'm a little worried, based on forum comments, about the marathon tires but figure that there isn't anything I can do about it anyway so I'll just roll with what comes along and happens.

Maiden voyage is a 1000 round trip to Wyoming in 5 weeks...looking forward to some cowboy football, fly fishing with my wife, and the comfort of these beautiful RV's!
Hi There!
On behalf of Redwood, we are SO honored that you chose us! This forum will provide you with a wealth of knowledge about your RV AND the lifestyle- and more than likely, some new friends!

Should you run into any difficulties or have any questions- please don't hesitate to give me a shout. I'm here to help!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

Warren ,

We are NEW to the Redwood family and so far we love the 38RL.. I could see us using this floor plan IF we were full timing.. Congratulations on the new endeavor ! ! ! ! and GOOD LUCK !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #14

Welcome, Warren. Good to have you on board with the gang here. Many, many, many happy travel miles!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #15

Tires/wheels

So am I understanding correctly: the consensus is that the Marathon tires should be changed ASAP. And the wheels that comes stock will not carry a G or H rated tire. Therefore I need new wheels and tires ASAP?

I'm seeing a number of comments about this but I'm wondering if those folks are the exception but that the norm is just run the Marathons at rated speeds. I'd sure like to wait until the spring to change these out since I literally have one trip with the camper and then winterizing.

Am I dreaming to wait or do I just suck it up and do it now?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #16

More than likely your wheels won't be able to move up to the G or H tires, mine didn't. The consensus with many RVers, myself included, it isn't will the Marathons go, it is when? I went to the Gs and new wheels. Peace of mind.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #17

It's totally up to you & I don't blame you for wanting to wait especially 1 trip & parked for the winter, but just be aware that they don't call them "Marabombs" because they are great tires. Drive safe & have a good trip!
Also if you have a Harbor Freight tool store close by you can get infared gun there about that price or less & not have to wait on shipping.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #18

Just chatted with folks at discount tire. Amongst learning a few things, I thought I would share that they have a new in house G rated tire which is $200 less per tire than the Goodyears and a 12 ply tire but not steel belted.

On a separate question:
Are the standard wheels on a 2013 36RL aluminum wheels or steel?

Can you tell they didn't give me a owner's manual or much info on the Camper? :-)
Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #19

If the standard wheel, it is aluminum and rated for 80 lbs. On the backside of the wheel is the type, ie; T05, which you can look up the specs.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #20

Hello ChristianM,

Can You provide me with an owner's manual?

Also, where is the subwoofer suppose to be at it appears the previous owner removed it prior to trade in.

Mike