Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

My wife and I (Cathy and Leeon) bought a 2012 RW36RL in November from Tiara RV in Elkhart, Indiana and left it there for the winter. We plan to drive from our current home in Washington State in late March or April2013 to retrieve it. I am currently working on my Ford F-350 to get it readyfor the trip to Indiana. We own a home in Tubac, AZ, so we will be spending summers in the RV in the Northand winters in Arizona. I do have one general question. I talked to different people at the Redwood factory to find out how high the RW36RL sits above the ground.They had no general idea because they always have them unhooked from the truck and lifted up by the leveling system.My truck bed is very high off of the ground, so I wanted to know how high the underbelly of the bedroom and closet are above the ground when the trailer is hooked up to the truck and is in a level position. I am afraid that the nose of the trailer may ride high when hooked up to the truck. I note from other posts that there should be 6 inches between the truck rails and the bottom of the trailer. I could look at at 36RL locally, but the closest dealer is about 240 miles away.
I am also a private pilot and have an airplane based in Nogales, AZ and Sequim, WA, depending on the season.
When we get the RV this springwe will be looking into the idea of adding disc brakes. We did not order the RV but bought it off the dealer lot. Luckily it already had the G tires.
Leeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Leeon and welcome to the forum ! I'm also a pilot, on the other side of the coast. Just sold the Piper we had and currently fly a friend's Sportcruiser LSA (best deal in the world, I put gas in it and pay my share of the insurance .....)

Don't know if this will help you ~ my truck is a 2012 F350 CrewCab, Short Bed SRW, FX4, 20" wheels, 11,500 GVW packagewith the snowplow prep (HD Frt Springs and alternator). When my 36RL is hooked up, the trailer and the truck sit level and I have about 7" from the bedrails to the underside of the trailer. Pulls fine.

Let me know what you find on the disc brakes conversion. Mine is the same way, I have the G's, but not the disc. Stops fine, but I like the idea of the disc brakes. FWIW, I'm also planning on adding AirLift Airbags on the advice of a lot of people as to ride quality.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Redwood forum. There are some great people on the forum with a lot of knowledge of RV's and Redwoods. Enjoy your new coach after you pick it up.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #4

Leeon,

Welcome to owning a RW coach. We are just up the I5 on the Canadian side of the border. If you require warranty work/annual inspections, rather than driving to Spokane or Portland we have a new RW dealer in Abbotsford - Fraserway RV. It is 1 mile from the airport and about 10 mins from the border.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeon

My wife and I (Cathy and Leeon) bought a 2012 RW36RL in November from Tiara RV in Elkhart, Indiana and left it there for the winter. We plan to drive from our current home in Washington State in late March or April2013 to retrieve it. I am currently working on my Ford F-350 to get it readyfor the trip to Indiana. We own a home in Tubac, AZ, so we will be spending summers in the RV in the Northand winters in Arizona. I do have one general question. I talked to different people at the Redwood factory to find out how high the RW36RL sits above the ground.They had no general idea because they always have them unhooked from the truck and lifted up by the leveling system.My truck bed is very high off of the ground, so I wanted to know how high the underbelly of the bedroom and closet are above the ground when the trailer is hooked up to the truck and is in a level position. I am afraid that the nose of the trailer may ride high when hooked up to the truck. I note from other posts that there should be 6 inches between the truck rails and the bottom of the trailer. I could look at at 36RL locally, but the closest dealer is about 240 miles away.
I am also a private pilot and have an airplane based in Nogales, AZ and Sequim, WA, depending on the season.
When we get the RV this springwe will be looking into the idea of adding disc brakes. We did not order the RV but bought it off the dealer lot. Luckily it already had the G tires.
Welcome to the growing group! My trailer is in storage right now so I can't help on the height but I'm sure someone in this group can answer that question for you. Is your truck lifted or stock?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

When we get to Indiana in late March or April we plan to go to the Trailair service center in Goshen, Indiana to see if they can add disc brakes. I called them a few weeks ago to get information about adding disc brakes. They were not willing to give me information without knowing the model and serial number on the axles of the RV. My RV is in storage in Elkhart, so we will have to wait until we get there to get the necessary information. My original question about the height of my truck may have been answered. I get the impression that the 56 inch height of my truck bed rails is not going to be too high. When the weather improves we will start on our trip from Washington State. We are looking forward to the trip. For the next five weeks we will be at our home in Arizona where I will get a chance to fly in our airplane.

Leeon
Leeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeon

When we get to Indiana in late March or April we plan to go to the Trailair service center in Goshen, Indiana to see if they can add disc brakes. I called them a few weeks ago to get information about adding disc brakes. They were not willing to give me information without knowing the model and serial number on the axles of the RV. My RV is in storage in Elkhart, so we will have to wait until we get there to get the necessary information. My original question about the height of my truck may have been answered. I get the impression that the 56 inch height of my truck bed rails is not going to be too high. When the weather improves we will start on our trip from Washington State. We are looking forward to the trip. For the next five weeks we will be at our home in Arizona where I will get a chance to fly in our airplane.

Leeon
Leeon,

I'll be in Phoenix on business the week of Feb. 28th with our Redwood. Email me and we'll see if we can hook up. dave@molleck.com
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Leeon

I just checked the height of my F350 referenced above and at the back of the bed, it is just about 56.5" high to the bedrails. You shouldn't have any problem. My hitch is a PullRite SuperSlider 18k, I can't tell you what adjustment holes they used at the dealer to set the truck up, but as I mentioned, when my RL is hooked up, the rig sits level.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Leeon...sorry I lied...I'll be there the week if the 18th
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

We are also new owners of a 2013 36 RL from WA state.
I enjoy the forum and have learn much from it.
Thanks!
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdoc4

Thanks!
Well, welcome to our group and I hope you enjoy your rig as much as I do mine
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdoc4

Thanks!
Subdoc4 - welcome to the RW family. We are nowdeveloping agood sized group of RW owners in the Pacific Northwest. We are located just North of the border and have a new RW dealer in Abbotsford. Talking to them at the RV show they have just sold their 36RL and have another couple intersted in the 36FL that arrives in a couple of weeks.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Thank you for the reponses. We feel most welcome!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

My wife and I have a 36rl. I have a 2003 Dodge 1 ton DRW. It sits very high in the bed. . Our Newmar 5er was high in the front when loaded on the truck. When we picked up our new RW we had to lift the hitch to it's highest point. The RW Rides level and I have about 8in clearance to the bed of the truck. If you have factory springs you should be OK. Good luck and enjoy the RW.