Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 04:18 AM   #1

We are in the process of finding the right used RV for us. I really like the Redwood and am mainly focused on that brand right now. We have 8-9 months or so to find it but ready to move forward anytime for the right deal.

We are located in WI but realize we will likely have to buy from a distance. We will be buying used. Probably 2012-2016. I’ve heard mixed feeling on the 2017’s and newer. We want a unit that has some miles on it, rather than just being in a park from the beginning, so that the bugs have been worked out. We plan to cover as much of North America as possible, minus Mexico. Definitely plan to visit Alaska and lots of Canada.

At least gen prep, full time living pkg, dual pane windows are a requirement. Upgraded axles and pin box are important also. Those we can change out but would prefer they were already on. Most of the other items we want seem to be on most units.

The layouts we prefer are MB (front bath), 3881ES (office in middle), GK, RL, RE. Prefer to stay around 38’-40’ but will go up to 42’. We do not want a FL or RK. We have a F450 dually but as it is an older truck we need to keep the RV GVWR at 20k lbs or less to be legal.

As you consider selling your RV keep us in mind. I’m subscribed to the classifieds so I should see new units that get posted.

Looking forward to learning more about the Redwood and finding that right unit for us.

Take Care, Chris
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #2

Chris, if you are into Face Book, there is a "Redwood RVs for Sale" group you might check out.
Also check under the Classified section here for this post "For sale 2015 RW 38RL, Morryde 8K axles" by BasilFawlty
It already has the MORryde IS Suspension and ready to travel.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

I will add, as will Michelle and others, if you’re truly planning on serious travel, spend the extra $$$ and get the MorRyde ISsuspension done if the coach doesn’t have it.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I will add, as will Michelle and others, if you’re truly planning on serious travel, spend the extra $$$ and get the MorRyde ISsuspension done if the coach doesn’t have it.
The unit we are looking at has Trail air tri glide pinbox,
Lippert air ride suspension, EZ lube 8000 LB axels,
Disk brakes. Would the air ride suspension do the same? I haven’t dug into it yet but will.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Chris, if you are into Face Book, there is a "Redwood RVs for Sale" group you might check out.
Also check under the Classified section here for this post "For sale 2015 RW 38RL, Morryde 8K axles" by BasilFawlty
It already has the MORryde IS Suspension and ready to travel.
Thanks. I am on the various FB groups. Funny thing. I joined a Montana RV FB group thinking I was joining a group about Montana RV’s and instead it was a group from Montana.

That goof turned up some good RW options including some right in my home state that I could not find any other way. Do not show up in anything WI. One is literally 45 min from me.

You never know where you will find the unit we ultimately end up buying.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #6

The Lippert Air Ride I would put at a step below the MORryde IS. Be careful of the Tri-Glide, the early ones, like we had on our 2012 unit worked good, but the later, as came on our 2016 were crap. Don't know what Lippert did, but they must have changed something. A few members had the roller break, ours just banged back and forth on each stop and start and really crashed on some bridges. I'm not a bit fan of the air bags used on the Tri-Glide or the Air Ride. I was always adding air, that's the reason I went with the Comfort Ride cushioned Hitch and MORryde Pin Box.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #7

Thank you for the info. This owner has an extended warranty and has had everything fixed as it has come up so what is on it might be fine. But good to know that we could face expenses I assumed were taken care of. They did have all these changes done by Redwood in IN.

It might mean we would be better off with a lessor cost unit and then add the IS etc. All depends on what I find with the other things we want. Generator seems to be the thing missing the most. But most have at least gen prep.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have the air ride on mine with shocks and no issues yet I went that route as it was 1500 opposed to 3500. A 6500w generator will run about 3800. Norwall was the cheapest retailer i found + you will spend an extra 600 in muffler and wires to the transfer switch
Old 11-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #9

Redwood RVs for Sale Group on FB

Here is the link to the group on FB. Good luck in your search.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RedwoodRVsForSale/
libbywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #10

I see where you are interested in purchasing a used Redwood 5th Wheel. My husband and I own a 2015 RW38RL that we purchased new and have used to travel in connection with his work.

We are interested in selling this coach. It does have an Onan 5.5 LP Marquis Gold generator, dual pane windows, the Redwood Parks Package and Redwood Full-Time Living Package plus the Residential Appliance Package (Samsung French Door with ice maker, 1000 watt pure sign wave invertor, dual group 31 batteries, stainless steel convection oven. The coach has a Splendid 2pc washer/dryer, full body paint, and equiped in rear to connect and tow a "toad" vehicle.

Also, last year we had the roof replaced with a lifetime spray on roof. This year we replaced both air conditioner motors (Grainger).

My husband is an Instrumentation & Electrical Inspector, by trade, and has from day one, upgraded the coach and maintained it in top notch condition. We live in North Louisiana and realize that is a far distance from Wisconsin, but if you are interested in our coach we would like to talk with you further.
My name is Connie Finley and I am a member on the Redwood forum. Just let me know if you are interested in further information about our Redwood. I have some pics if interested.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #11

Connie, Thanks for reaching out. I would definitely be interested in learning more about your unit. Could you please send me pictures and the build (MSRP) sheet which will have all the details of what options were added to the unit at build time.

Does it have 8k axles, disc brakes, air ride pin box? Also let me know how much you are looking for it. You can send the info to zoedogcbr@gmail.com. Thanks, Chris