Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #1

New guy to this forum

Hi everyone...

I am a new member to this site. I have been RVing for 25 years pulling pop ups, pull trailers and now a fifth wheel for the past 7 years. I will be retiring in 4 years and plan to move up to a larger/nicer 5th wheel in about three years. I do not plan to purchase right away, so just looking for now. I recently went to the Denver RV show and really liked the Redwood that was on display.

The RW I am interested in is a new model not yet out yet. It is the RW39MB. This is the rig that has a bath and a half. I believe I read it may be displayed at the Tampa RV show...(not sure).

I am not interested in cheap rigs as my next 5th wheel may be my last. After owning one for the past 7 years, I think I know what I want. My present 5th wheel is a 2005 Sunnybrook with rear kitchen. I pull it with a 2007 Chevy Duramax 3500 CC LB SRW. I plan to sell this truck before I purchase a new 5th wheel due to the pin weight/overall weight and buy a dually.
I look forward to sharing information with you all.

Thank you, Paul
Low 'n Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #2

Morning Paul and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of great information on here about Redwoods. We have a 36FL and are extremely happy with both and coach and Redwood's customer service.

Affirmative, the 39MB is making its debut at the Tampa show in a couple of days. The specs on the 39MB haven't been released yet, but these are heavy, so yes a dually will be essential. Our SRW is maxed out even with the tanks empty.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Paul. This is a good place to learn about Redwoods with a a lot of very knowledgeable people willing to help. The big majority of us really like our Redwoods and are just like you in having moved up to a higher quality rig. Having said that, there is no RV that is trouble free, but Redwood does step up to the plate and make things right if there is a problem. Most of us have had only minor problems. The problems I have had are fewer of lesser magnitude than I had with other brands. We love our Redwood.

You are correct in planning to purchase a dually as the pin weights are up there.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum! We sure like our Redwood.

Which model(s) Redwood did Windish have at the show? Did they have the brand new version with the LEDs across the front? We didn't go this year.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

Before we purchased our redwood we visited a couple of other forums on a regular basis. This will give you a broader perspective on what's out there and you won't be going into the move up blind. We love our Redwood. We are only seven month seasonals however to this point. The purchase of a truck and full timing are still in my plans but only time will tell. Good luck hunting.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi Paul,

As everyone before me has already said, the Redwood is a great product. I'm also interested in the 39MB and am looking forward to seeing it in person. The important question to ask folks is "would you buy another Redwood". My answer would be yes.

I always look at 5th wheels and I haven't seen one yet that I think is better than the Redwood for the money. Most of the complaints I've read on this or other forums were mostly an indictments of the dealers and how they've handled problems
Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Welcome Paul,

We are also newbies. We have a popup and our eyes are on the 38GK. Hopefully we can clear up some of Linda's health issues and order one soon.

The folks on this forum are great people with tons of knowledge and experience. It's a rather large learning curve for us to go from popup to a large, heavy rig, but the forum is really helping.
Steve & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #8

Thank you all for your comments. I look forward to learning more about the Redwood product. Anyone out there have two awnings? I guess it is an option.

Did most of you upgrade to the 8,000# axles? I believe this is also an option.

Maybe I should start a new thread to cover these items....
Old 01-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low 'n Slow View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I look forward to learning more about the Redwood product. Anyone out there have two awnings? I guess it is an option.

Maybe I should start a new thread to cover these items....
Yes I have 2 awnings but elected to stay away from the awning toppers. Do yourself a favor and if your going to be pulling the Redwood any great distances at all, get disk brakes. If you read some of the old posts on here you'll read that people love them.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Team

I just looked over the floor plan of the 39MB again and I noticed that this unit has the smaller pantry like the 'BR" model. I'm afraid that would be a deal breaker for my wife and I.

One of the reasons I liked the "GK" is beacuse it has 2 large pantries however the problem with that floor plan is the frig can't be opened without opening a slide.

I guess we'll have to either keep ours or look at the 38RL as long as we can get the slide-in-slide with that one.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Many have the double awnings - really like it,
the only somewhat 'con' is the the rear one is mounted on the slide and is at a different level,angle, etc from the front one and that the opening is right @ the entrance door...

Once we found out how to adjust the awning angle and that it can be stowed adjusted !

We adjusted the awnings such that the rear angles to the back a bit and the front toward the front so any runoff goes away from the door...
also built in led lights are NICE !

Re the Fridge Dave - not exactly correct
at least on our 14 gk,

we have the res fridge and can open both doors and the bottom freezer without extending slides...

BUT,
they do shorten and angle the top of the island a bit, losing the 'dish' drawer...
but the double pantry won out over the dish drawer giving us MORE than enough storage !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fridge_island.JPG (52.5 KB, 1 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low 'n Slow View Post

This was discussed recently and it looks like the 8,000 lb axles are no longer an option. Not listed on the website or the brochure.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Many have the double awnings - really like it,
the only somewhat 'con' is the the rear one is mounted on the slide and is at a different level,angle, etc from the front one and that the opening is right @ the entrance door...

Once we found out how to adjust the awning angle and that it can be stowed adjusted !

We adjusted the awnings such that the rear angles to the back a bit and the front toward the front so any runoff goes away from the door...
also built in led lights are NICE !

Re the Fridge Dave - not exactly correct
at least on our 14 gk,

we have the res fridge and can open both doors and the bottom freezer without extending slides...

BUT,
they do shorten and angle the top of the island a bit, losing the 'dish' drawer...
but the double pantry won out over the dish drawer giving us MORE than enough storage !
I'm glad to see that they made that adjustment. The one on display at the rally wasn't that way.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

Do you have a picture of the double awnings and how they "fixed" it..
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Site Team

I love my double awning for several reasons.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #16

Yes, the double awnings are a treat! For us, we like to put the picnic table under the slide awning, so we have the rest of the area by the door open for chairs and stuff.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #17

I also am a newbie, only 2 months full timing. The Redwood was my 1st RV purchase and love it. I bought used hoping to avoid some of the small issues that pop up on new ones and am very happy I did. The forum has helped me a great deal. I have met several other Redwood owners on the road and have learned a great deal in those chance meetings. I would echo Dave's statement on disc brakes. This is a $3,000 option but worth every penny. Good luck in your Redwood search

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #18

Disc brakes are awesome!

This rig tows and stops better than any prior 5th wheel I've had, and it is nearly 2 tons heavier!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 AM   #19

Paul, Welcome
We started out with the std 7K axles, but last spring upgraded to 8k Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension. We had previous experience with the Disc Brakes, so they were a mandatory option. We have the dual awnings and love them. We have ours set for max pitch.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #20
S&K

Are Disc Brakes a factory installed option, or can they be installed later?

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote