Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
S&K

New 2014 36FB Owners

Hi Folks,

We did it! We purchased it at an RV show in Austin, but the unit itself was at an RV show in Dallas at the time!

We will probably have the walk-thru some time in the next week or so, but we will have it delivered. No tow vehicle yet!

The most we have ever pulled before was a pop-up camper, so we will be learning from the ground up.

First up will be where to park it. We have enough land to park it wherever we want; but are there any suggestions on what type of foundation to keep it on? When it rains here, our ground turns to a slippery clay mess, so we need something solid, but not concrete if possible. Eventually, we will put a lean-to or some type of cover for it for the months we won't be traveling. Does anyone run electricity to theirs at home?

Thanks,

Shelley

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #2

Yes on the electricity, generally plugged in 24/7 365 (we're on an extended/long term stay at present), but when at the house it's plugged in.
As for parking, we haven't fully decided. Have parked our previous Rigs on 2x10s set to give a fairly level spot. Would like a full cement pad, but haven't hit the lottery yet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #3

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you have toooo much fun. Kind of got the trailer before the horsepower. LOL I bought a 2 year old SOB about 12 years ago and had the person I bought it from deliver it to my property in the mountains where it was parked and never moved again. I sold the 5er and property October 2013 for enough to nearly pay for my next 5er. I used it as my mountain cabin.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #4

S & K, congratulations on your new Redwood, we too have the FB and love it. I hope you enjoy your coach as much as we have.

As to parking, the cover is not as important as being able to move the coach when you want/need to go somewhere. These are heavy so being in mud will cause you to have issues, if this is the case I would put down some material, e.g. concrete, gravel, etc. If you choose asphalt you should put some barrier between the asphalt and the tires.

Power would be best if you can swing it, especially if in cold or hot climate so you can keep the coach heated/cooled and keep the batteries charged.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K View Post
Hi Folks,

We did it! We purchased it at an RV show in Austin, but the unit itself was at an RV show in Dallas at the time!

We will probably have the walk-thru some time in the next week or so, but we will have it delivered. No tow vehicle yet!

The most we have ever pulled before was a pop-up camper, so we will be learning from the ground up.

First up will be where to park it. We have enough land to park it wherever we want; but are there any suggestions on what type of foundation to keep it on? When it rains here, our ground turns to a slippery clay mess, so we need something solid, but not concrete if possible. Eventually, we will put a lean-to or some type of cover for it for the months we won't be traveling. Does anyone run electricity to theirs at home?

Thanks,

Shelley
We were pop-campers for 35 years prior to stepping up to our Redwood 36RL. I researched 5th wheels for 4 years prior to pulling the trigger on our RW. There is a learning curve, no doubt, but, there is a lot of knowledge to be gained from the folks on this forum and the other RW forum. Don't be afraid to ask question.

When our RW is at home, it is stored inside a pole barn with a concrete floor. I always have it connected to 20 Amp service inside and when outside it is connected to 50 Amp service so I can run the A/C's.

In terms of your situation, I would recommend installing a crushed stone base of at least 6 to 8 inches. Then use treated lumber under the jack pads. I cut 12 inch square pieces of 3/4 inch treated plywood to support the jacks and carry those with me to use while camping. A half sheet of plywood yields 16 pieces which can be used if you end up on a not so level site when camping.

Have fun with the learning experience and soon you will find that you are an old pro!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #6

Congratulations on that new rig!

Boy if I had the land, it would be in a metal building on concrete.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #7

Forgot to mention...we too went from a pop-up to our Redwood.

I downloaded Tow Your 5th Wheel Like a Pro DVD an online driving video which gives some good tips, not as good as a driving course but better than nothing.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #8

I would recommend a breeze (crushed decorative rock) or road base works great. Runs about $15.00 a ton plus delivery. 10-15 tons will give you a nice pad. The breeze after getting sets up very well. You can also sprinkle a little Portland cement over it to help set it. Levels out well and stays put. Does not leave ruts. I would also use it for your front porch area with a
Jay D.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #9

oops !!!! These touch pads.... with a patio carpet over it.
Jay D.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
S&K

Thank you Ramblin for the suggestion. I think that may be the way we need to go.

2014 RW36FB
Ken & Shelley
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #11
S&K

Thanks Hoosier Guy,
I think the crushed stone is a great option; as is the treated plywood to support the jacks. Definitely a learning curve here, but with everyone helping out with suggestions, it will make it easier for us. Thanks so much for your input!

2014 RW36FB
Ken & Shelley
Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #12

Other option for pads is a pressure treated 2"x10" cut into 10" lengths

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #13

jealous of being able to park close by
As shown below our storage area has 1 to 2" gravel/stone for a road bed but I still put treated 2x10's under the tires to get them off the stone and help with leveling...

but - I keep something like these in the rv for leveling at the parks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storage Rocks3.JPG (34.9 KB, 4 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #14

Congrats on your new coach. We too are going from a pop-up to the Redwood. So far we have the tow vehicle but the Redwood is on order. Envious of anyone with property to store, saves another hassle and expense. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #15

and to add - one other thing the 2x10's do is give me a nice line up to back into covered storage area !

Painted the ends with flourescent orange to help 'see' it better under the covered darkness !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #16

We are full time, but mostlyspend our time in two spots. One of them has crushed concrete where we park and the other gravel. They both have concrete patios. We use 2x12's arox. 6 ft long on each side to park on. Took one 12 feet long treated and cut it in half at an angle to back the tires on. Cat pads on for the jacks. A person could use a couple pieces of 12X12 treated plywood fastened together, or a piece of 2x12. I then went to a farm supple store and got a lenth of 12" wide belting and cut them 12"long and fastened to both sides of the boar.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #17

We use the plastic pads to put under the jacks but don't put anything under the tires unless Im parking on asphalt, then I use those thin plastic cutting boards...it's about weight, I don't want a bunch of heave 2x pieces of lumber.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
S&K

Pad is down

We ended up using crushed limestone. This will really work well for us once it settles and gets rained on some. (It's raining now!)

Our property is at the end of a county road, so our driveway is 'teardrop' shaped. Really tight one too.

The idea was to make a pad big enough to sit the 36FB and the dually on while not on the road. The pad itself is 24' x 45' but we added a really big wedge to one side to help with backing the unit in.

We also decided to put in 50 amp service out to the shed. If we are going to have to run wiring out there anyways... may as well do it right from the beginning. Hopefully, that will be done sometime next week.

Haven't been notified yet for the time of the walk-thru. They are adding/fixing things and the dishwasher was on back-order from the plant. Seems I'm not the only one wanting one!

I'm starting to get excited, just a little. If I get myself too hyped up, I won't be able to sleep, so... keeping it low key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0672.JPG (87.8 KB, 4 views)

2014 RW36FB
Ken & Shelley
Old 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #19

That's what I call doing it right!! You will never regret making a quality pad like that. Good job.
Jay D.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 AM   #20

I can attest to the fact that a Redwood on order will definitely mess up your sleep...