Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Would You Buy It Again?

Hello, all! I just attended my first RV show in Dallas on Saturday. I specifically went to see DRV and Lifestyle, as they both have boxed-steel frames. I also stopped and looked at a Redwood, and I must say, was very impressed by the floor plan and the fit and finish. According to the brochure that I picked up, the units are very well insulated and ready to go for full-time living. The only thing I can't get past is the Lippert I-beam frame. What is your experience with Redwood over time? I want to buy my 3rd trailer 1st, so I'm doing lots of research to get the right one, and I don't want to overlook Redwood if I'm being too cautious about the frame. Thanks for any help you can give me!
tampabikeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #2

Would I buy a redwood again. Probably so, but I have my doubts as well. If you look at all your options out there, it all comes down to the inside for how comfortable it best fits you. For us it was the redwood at the end. If I had to change anything different that we did before, it would be to order one direct thru the factory instead of thru the parking lot dealership. But all in all customer service has to be weighed on as well See how customer service is on the other brands and weigh that into your decision as well
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

Yes, I would buy a Redwood again. I have been full timing for a year now and considered both DRV and Lifestyle but because I will pull 15,000 miles a year the additional weight and potential need to have a larger TV made me decide Redwood was my best choice. I have not been sorry.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Would we purchase another Redwood, most definitely yes.

This is also our first RV and we researched it for 5 years before purchase. The predominant deciding factor for us is the RW customer service. RW like every manufacturer have problems in the build process, as they are built by humans, who make mistakes. In our experience RW stand by their product and 2 yr warranty with exceptional customer service.

The frame is important, but try not to focus on 1 component, look overall. If the frame is beefed up either the coach is super heavy or they are cutting corners elsewhere to get the weight down. What flooring materials are used -plywood or OSB. RW use plywood, which helped us during recent plumbing issues. If it was OSB we would have been off the road for many days getting new flooring.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Site Team

I'll second what Andy said. We've had our Redwood 36RL for almost two years now. Minimal issues, mostly the typical "new house get all the systems to like each other" kind of stuff. No matter who the builder is, the first season will be a shakedown one. The key is in how the builder handles the service needed to correct these items. Redwood in my opinion is better than most and from the conversations I've had with members of the management staff at the factory I think it will only get better.

My coach at two years old has been towed in excess of 16k miles, has original G Goodyears that are wearing fine. I have changed to the MorRyde IS suspension and disc brakes and can't begin to tell you how much I recommend that to anyone.

Bottom line, would I buy another one ? A resounding yes, but with a mention that I have a really good dealer for service.
When you are doing your buying, get a good deal, but check on service first. That alone will make or break your experience with any RV you buy.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #6

tampabikeracer,

Good for you doing your research!! We too looked at many different brands, never looked at Lifestyle because we couldn't find a dealer but we gave DRV a very hard look. Absolutely their frame is more substantial than most any other 5'er, they are also much heavier than most others.
As to the Redwood frame, it is indeed I-beam construction and on top of that, it is not continuous but I have not heard of one owner who has had any significant issue with the frame. Suspension systems...yes, but not the frame. Suspension you can do something about, frame is a different story.
When I looked at the value, what you get for your dollar, the Redwood won...hands down.
Are they trouble free...NO, but no RV is. We have been in our Redwood for almost 2 years and yes we have had issues, most all of which are very minor and the few that have been more significant have been taken care of by Redwood with no hassles. Their customer service is exceptional, their technical assistance is awesome, whenever I have had an issue I get answers.
DRV is a great coach, you can get most anything you want in them, any species of wood, any flooring, can even modify the design within reason...cant do that with a Redwood but for what Redwood offers...cant beat it!!

Good luck with your decision!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I'll second what Andy said. We've had our Redwood 36RL for almost two years now. Minimal issues, mostly the typical "new house get all the systems to like each other" kind of stuff. No matter who the builder is, the first season will be a shakedown one. The key is in how the builder handles the service needed to correct these items. Redwood in my opinion is better than most and from the conversations I've had with members of the management staff at the factory I think it will only get better.

My coach at two years old has been towed in excess of 16k miles, has original G Goodyears that are wearing fine. I have changed to the MorRyde IS suspension and disc brakes and can't begin to tell you how much I recommend that to anyone.

Bottom line, would I buy another one ? A resounding yes, but with a mention that I have a really good dealer for service.
When you are doing your buying, get a good deal, but check on service first. That alone will make or break your experience with any RV you buy.

Vaughn.......I can't say it any better.........I agree completely.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

No, we would not.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
tampabikeracer,

Good for you doing your research!! We too looked at many different brands, never looked at Lifestyle because we couldn't find a dealer but we gave DRV a very hard look. Absolutely their frame is more substantial than most any other 5'er, they are also much heavier than most others.
As to the Redwood frame, it is indeed I-beam construction and on top of that, it is not continuous but I have not heard of one owner who has had any significant issue with the frame. Suspension systems...yes, but not the frame. Suspension you can do something about, frame is a different story.
When I looked at the value, what you get for your dollar, the Redwood won...hands down.
Are they trouble free...NO, but no RV is. We have been in our Redwood for almost 2 years and yes we have had issues, most all of which are very minor and the few that have been more significant have been taken care of by Redwood with no hassles. Their customer service is exceptional, their technical assistance is awesome, whenever I have had an issue I get answers.
DRV is a great coach, you can get most anything you want in them, any species of wood, any flooring, can even modify the design within reason...cant do that with a Redwood but for what Redwood offers...cant beat it!!

Good luck with your decision!!!

I looked at DRV also and I believe theirs is a very good product. But, the DRV coaches are very, very heavy and that is why they have a heavier designed frame. I just didn't want to pull 18,000 lbs and pay for a medium duty truck to pull it.

I researched the 5th wheel concept for 4 years before making a decision and Redwood met the most for what I was willing to pay. I definitely would make the same decision again were I to make another purchase, although this is likely the only 5th wheel I will ever own. We are enjoying our 36RL and will have lived in it for 5 1/2 months this year.

My recommendation is (if at all possible) to make 2 or 3 factory visit/tours and see how each company's manufacturing processes are performed. Ask a lot of questions. I made two such visits and the RW tour sold me.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
No, we would not.
Thanks for the reply, and I know all units have their various problems. What are the main reasons that would lead you to not want to buy it again?
tampabikeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #11

I won't go into details, but suffice it to say, ours has been problematic and with LONG waits for service from the dallas area dealers, it has not been available to us a lot of the time.

And taking weeks off from work to run it up north has not been on our wish list even IF it had been offered as an option when I asked.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #12

The dealer plays a huge part of owning an RV...especially while it is under warranty. A good dealer is like gold, a bad one is your worse nightmare.

We've been blessed, we have had good experiences with ours but as mentioned in other posts, not all have good relations/experiences.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

We too have had great service from two dealers. One we bought our coach from in Elkhart, IN and a local dealer that is closer to us in Indianapolis, IN. For those of you who bought from a bad dealer, I say take it to another Redwood Dealer!
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #14

We too bought ours in Indiana and have it serviced in Tampa Florida. The dealer there has been excellent so far
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #15

We bought our's in elkhart in. and having it serviced in Cincinnati, Oh. As we live in ky.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
We bought our's in elkhart in. and having it serviced in Cincinnati, Oh. As we live in ky.
Colerain? That will be the closest actual RW dealer to me.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #17

I would buy a Redwood again in a heartbeat. Unlike others, have not had to rely on a dealer. My dealer was MIA from day one. I have not had any issues that I couldn't fix. Been all over the east coast and use it almost every weekend from mid march to mid November. Wouldn't mind upgrading to a 39' though.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #18

I can even say the next one will be a 38RL
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #19

Hmmmm. Sounds like someone is already looking
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
I would buy a Redwood again in a heartbeat. Unlike others, have not had to rely on a dealer. My dealer was MIA from day one. I have not had any issues that I couldn't fix. Been all over the east coast and use it almost every weekend from mid march to mid November. Wouldn't mind upgrading to a 39' though.
Isn't the 36rl 38' 11"?