Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Will my fridge work on battery?

I have a new Redwood and am preparing to hit the road for extended periods of time. Will my batteries support the fridge for an overnight if I'm dry docked? If so, how do I make that happen? Any help is appreciated.
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #2

If it is a residential fridge, it should. If you have a fridge that is not residential, it will run on propane. Is your battery charged? Do you have a separate battery for the fridge or is it off of the 2 main batteries? Do you have 2 main batteries?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

As said if it's a residential fridge it should run off your inventor powered by your batteries, but batteries need to be fully charged & should have a 3rd battery somewhere.
If you have the Norcold rv fridge just set it to "auto" (AU) on the control panel & will automatically switch to gas when unhooked from shore power, be sure propane bottle/bottles are opened. The rv fridge will not operate solely off batteries, but requires 12 volt from your batteries to operate the control circuit board.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies. Upon further investigation, I found that my two batteries were not hooked together. Thus, only one battery was charging. The battery that the inverter was hooked to was not receiving charge. This explains why the inverter was not working. Should have it all fixed today. Wonder now if that battery is ruined?!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #5

If there was a load on the battery, it's most likely ruined. Give it a full overnight slow charge then a batt shop can test it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

Is your RW new? Who separated the batteries? In the past some less than reputable dealers only installed 1 cheap battery, some left the crappy transport battery, but this is the 1st I've heard they didn't hook them up properly.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

Danny,
Yes the Redwood is new. I have a tech coming in the next few days to fix the mess.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:22 AM   #8

Nothing has changed... make sure the tech checks the wiring to ensure the batteries are truly off when the red selector switch is set to OFF.
Ours was wired wrong and drained the batteries in 2 days EVERY TIME.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

My red selector switch is wired in wrong as well. Need to take the time to redo it some weekend. As Brad said double check...