Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

I know this isn't fair, but can any one tell me why I should consider a Redwood. Is the cost really worth that much more than some of the others out there? My other choice seems to be just as good but a better price and is still under the Thor network of companies. Just would like some friendly info. Thanks
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #2

We looked at a number of brands and the Redwood was clearly the best quality that we saw. With respect to price, yes the Redwood is more expensive than Montana, Keystone, Dutchmenand other mid-level coaches, but the Redwoods beat them on quality.
Since purchasing the Redwood the customer service we have received is exceptional and that is also confirmed by the numerous posts on this forum, especially those living close to the factory. The RW warranty is one of the best and they also stand behind their product.

We also look at value and while we paid a small premium for the Redwood the value for money was greater than the mid-level competition. Comparing Redwood prices to other high end brands, I suggest the you will find the RW is cheaper. RW is also a small, innovative company, which we prefer to a multi-national producing thousands of units.

RW are also continuously improving the product. Our coach came with the optional windows in the fwd slide and the LED awning lights. They don't wait for a new model year, they make changes immediately.

We all have a price point and look for the best product that meets our needs and I firmly believe that in the end you get what you pay for. RV's take a beating driving on the roads and we wanted one that was well built and would stand up to the rigour of the highway. We believe the RW meets this criteria better than the cheaper alternatives.

Just our opinion, hope you settle on a coach soon and enjoy

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Ditto. We've been researching since October. Visited factories in Kansas and Indiana. You can spend lots more and lots less. But we felt RW gave us the most bang for the buck. When you go on the lot and go into a lower priced unit then go into a RW, you can see the difference in the quality immediately. The floorplan is perfect for us - probably the number one priority - the numerous included features and the terrrific options available, and the classy appearance inside and out made it the obvious choice. The customer service has a great reputation, as well.

So...we (finally) ordered ours yesterday. It will have everything we want!

Now...the...wait.....
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Go on to the Keystone Forum and read posts from some of those owners and the problems they've had, like the bedroom window falling out going down the highway. Granted there are many that are happy with their unit, but then again they only use it a few weekends a year. We live in ours 9 to 10 months out of the year, yea we know, we're still on the fence about keeping the house. We went from a Montana that we loved, but wanted more creature comforts that just weren't available in a Montana so we decided to step it up a notch and ordered our RW just the way we wanted it. And the company was good during the ordering process as we wanted extra satellite cables and the free standing table from the FL model and it wasn't a problem getting them. Just some of the little extra things we've gotten from Redwood that we wouldn't have gotten from someone else.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Not to mention some of the custom requests that Redwood will accomodate in the order process. Cabling requests are just the tip - even things like addition or elimination of doors and windows, furniture and upholstery additions/changes, cabinets, etc.

Plus, during the process, you couldn't find friendlier and more accomodating people to work with on your new unit. The ability to work with a company that is willing and interested to help you customize a "production" unit was totally impressive to me. I think Redwood's attitude is unique in this regard. Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

What other types of customization? I got the impression they wouldn't do very much in that way.
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

They ran three HDMI cables and a Backup Camera cable for me
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #8

We purchased our 2012 RW34SK from the dealer's lot. Lazy Days in Tucson worked with me for almost a year. I was really leaning toward a 34CKTS Cedar Creek. I always thought Redwood was out of my reach. One day the salesman gave me a price on the new Redwood that included a trade on my current rig. After a short discussion with my wife we went with the Redwood and have never looked back. Redwood warranty is great and the Lazy Days Tucson service has been exceptional. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Team

There are a lot of good RVs out there. It all depends on what you want and need. I've looked at all brands and I slowly narrowed it down to 4. It's true you can buy a pretty decent weekend type of 5er for around 50k. But we wanted something that would last a little longer and that's why we bought the Redwood. The inside furnishings are better including the carpet, furniture and cabinets. It's true most RVs have the same TV's, entertainment components, water pumps and such. The Redwood has a 100 amp converter that many of the lesser trailers don't. Also on most trailers there's more plastic around the windows and trim. The following is a list of my must haves that Redwood met;

Large tanks for fresh and waste (they MUST drain properly)
No rubber roof
Full body paint (no stickers)
Dual pane windows
Disk brakes
ccc of at least 2500 lbs
Generator
Could not exceed 18000 lbs
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Kev n JJ,

I wanted the 38BR with the office config... I did not want the office on the back wall as shown on the web... I wanted the office on the wall sharing the TV and fireplace. Took a phone call to Paul with RW thru my dealer to spec out EXACTLY what I wanted. RW sent me a PDF of the revised drawings to approve and I got my coach the way I wanted with all the cabinets I needed to work from the road once I retire.

We spent 3 RV shows going thru diesel pushers and all manner of 5th wheels AFTER we saw a RW RE, RL, and FL in Halifax 2 summers ago. We made a point of trying to disqualify the RW by looking at the others. The "look" was the same, but the fit and finish was not.

I had planned to retire and then full time for a year or so... even bought an ebook on how to do it. Made the mistake in stopping at one of our old sailor stomping grounds last Labour Day and we are now building a dream home overlooking Lake Ontario. My wife says we will still get lots of use out of our RW.... time will tell.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

To me the cost is to high...considering a Heartland Landmark...heavier axels and tires and all Laminated..not stuffed fiberglass insulation with 2 roof mushroom caps. I dont want condensation.
beuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beuler
To me the cost is to high...considering a Heartland Landmark...heavier axels and tires and all Laminated..not stuffed fiberglass insulation with 2 roof mushroom caps. I dont want condensation.
I think you have some bad information. Redwood only uses batts of insulation in the front and rear caps.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

Uh ...no im sitting here looking at the brochure and it shows batten insulatiion in the floor and roof and front and back cap....only sidewalls are laminated.

I just checked the website also ...same batten insulation ..bad idea..but it is a glorified dutchmen. Did you also know they dont have SHOCKS !!!?????

Im really confused now.
beuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #14

beuler did you know that Mor Ride systems do not use shocks either?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Uh ...no im sitting here looking at the brochure and it shows batten insulatiion in the floor and roof and front and back cap....only sidewalls are laminated.

I just checked the website also ...same batten insulation ..bad idea..but it is a glorified dutchmen. Did you also know they dont have SHOCKS !!!?????

Im really confused now.
Who makes Heartland?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:

Im really confused now.
Who makes Heartland?

I think Kaiser! I was reading on RV net where the San Antinios are cracking in half like the Kaiser Liberty ships in WWII.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #17

Heartland is owned by Thor, same company that owns Redwood. After owning a Heartland product I decided I would never own one again. They do have some nice features but the quality is no here near Redwoods. You do get what you pay for....
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
Site Team

I knew who made the Heartlands but I was surprised he didn't. Redwood right now is the premium of the Thor 5ers. This will change when they start up the Carriage line which they told us about last fall at the rally. It stands to reason that since Redwood is their current premium 5er that it would have the best features of anything that Thor has to offer.

I do believe that there are some very nice units made by Thor for weekend use a lot less expensive than a Redwood but to say that the less expensive units are better built is a stretch of the imagination. Again a person buys a rv based on what they're going to use it for. If someone is very diligent and careful they can use a weekend trailer for full time use. But there is a difference between the types of RVs.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu singh
<t></t><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="570"><colgroup><col width="570"></colgroup><t><tr height="20">
<td style="height:15.0pt;width:428pt" height="20" width="570">The coast redwood is one of the world's fastest growing conifers, or
cone-bearing trees. In contrast to the tree's size, redwood cones are
very small — only about an inch long.</td>
</tr></t></table>

You learn something new every day.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #20

My wife and I we're looking to upgrade and we had the list shortened to 4 different rigs. They were between Thor and Forest river. When we bought our RW 36RL we were not really ready to buy. We went to the Tampa RV show and Lazydays Tampa made us what we fell was a great deal on our trade and the new RW36RL and said what the HAY! We love it. The quality and bueaty is great. One of the other at the top of the list was the Heartland Key Largo. Few more extras then the RW, but we felt that the RW was a better built unit and went for it. No regrets on paying a little more. We live in it fulltime and hope to do so for many years to come.
jimnlee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote