Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 02:24 AM   #1

Water Tank Heating Pads

My 2015 GK is equipped with tank heaters. There is 1 switch for all of them. I am assuming they run on 12v. But due to the drain using 4 tank heaters I would probably need to keep the truck running or the gen running as long as we are in below zero temps. These tanks will only have about 2-3 gal of antifreeze / water in them.
The info I'm looking for is:
Are they on 12v?
Will I kill the batteries if I keep the gen running?
Can I cause any damage if I run these blankets / pads with so little liquid in them?
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:11 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Wayne
I'm curious why you would want to run the heaters if the trailer is winterized
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 AM   #3

We are leaving Montrael on Dec 8. By that date the temps can be in the -30f. And with the wind chill that can go to -50 easy. Even though the "pink stuff" is classified for-50 it starts to gell at about -20. The 6 hours in the mountains can get really cold. I was once stuck there with -40 and 4-5 feet falling over a 5 hour period. So we just want to keep as many items on our side than not..A second trick I learn't years ago...Once all your piping system are Genteelly blown out--(max 20 psi)-all plumbing pipes are filled with "pink stuff" i was taught to then open all the low drain points and then the taps. And let the system drain. This way the system has been winterized...and drained so should you happen to hit the -50 -60 you still can not burst a pipe as they are 90% empty..

was that as clear as MUDD ......
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:58 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
When I lived in Alberta I would blow the lines add pink to all traps and low points and never had a problem. Back then there were no tank heaters
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #5

While traveling turn the furnace on, it blows heat into the basement & holding tanks.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

I don't recommend running the furnace while going down the road. We have personally known a couple of people that had fires start while driving--and completely totaled their rig.

We have gone to a couple of safety and fire sessions at different rallies. All of said... turn off propane when traveling.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Ted - I'm 90% sure those tank heaters are 120 volt. They would pull way to much amperage for 12 volt. If it were me, and I had a generator on board, I would put a small electric ceramic disc heater in the basement and another in the crawl space behind the basement wall. Tun the furnace on while you're stopped to preheat the basement and the tanks and then shut it down and use the space heaters.

The other option would be to add the Cheap Heat electric heat option to the furnace. Then you could fire the generator, switch the furnace to electric, and have all the duct work blowing hot air without being concerned about propane.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Wayne, while our temps in Ontario aren't as cold as Montreal I have had the residual water/AF mix in the fresh water tank on previous RVs freeze over the winter (I could tell by the condensation on the plastic underbelly in the early spring because of the "ice block" in the tank above). I never had a problem with a leaking tank. Hopefully you won't be too much below freezing that early in the winter, given our warm fall.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
I don't recommend running the furnace while going down the road. We have personally known a couple of people that had fires start while driving--and completely totaled their rig.

We have gone to a couple of safety and fire sessions at different rallies. All of said... turn off propane when traveling.
How do you cool your refrigerator while traveling with the propane off? You must have the residential frig!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted 95 View Post
Once all your piping system are Genteelly blown out--(max 20 psi)-all plumbing pipes are filled with "pink stuff" i was taught to then open all the low drain points and then the taps. And let the system drain. This way the system has been winterized...and drained so should you happen to hit the -50 -60 you still can not burst a pipe as they are 90% empty..

:
The same would apply to your tanks - 90% empty - so why worry about it? there is plenty of room in the tanks for any ice that forms to expand.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
How do you cool your refrigerator while traveling with the propane off? You must have the residential frig!

Danny,

My refrigerator works fine on propane while traveling, but, I have never been able to keep the furnace burner operating while traveling. It seems like there is too much air blowing in through the exterior vent panel and it blows out the flame.

Does your furnace operate while traveling?

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 AM   #12

Guy,
I've only traveled with furnace a couple times & it stayed lit, but I've got the little domed screens on the intake/exhaust of the furnace so maybe that helps.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Guy,
I've only traveled with furnace a couple times & it stayed lit, but I've got the little domed screens on the intake/exhaust of the furnace so maybe that helps.

Danny.........I have wondered if putting some sort of wind baffle on the front side of those vents might help the issue, but haven't tried that yet. We typically leave Indiana for Florida when the weather/temperatures is rather cold in the 10* to 30* range. I generally try to warm up the interior of the coach to 70* for a couple of days prior to departure. By the time we arrive at our first stop in Kentucky, the interior temps are down to upper 50's. The coach could get rather chilly if I had to start out in colder temp's towards 0*. Maybe that means we just depart for Florida much earlier, except the family likes us to be home for Christmas!!!

Guy

Old 10-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #14

PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Ted - I'm 90% sure those tank heaters are 120 volt. They would pull way to much amperage for 12 volt. If it were me, and I had a generator on board, I would put a small electric ceramic disc heater in the basement and another in the crawl space behind the basement wall. Tun the furnace on while you're stopped to preheat the basement and the tanks and then shut it down and use the space heaters.

The other option would be to add the Cheap Heat electric heat option to the furnace. Then you could fire the generator, switch the furnace to electric, and have all the duct work blowing hot air without being concerned about propane.

I've ran down the highway with the generator on without a problem. I even had the electric fireplace running.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I've ran down the highway with the generator on without a problem. I even had the electric fireplace running.
What Dave said....
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Danny,

My refrigerator works fine on propane while traveling, but, I have never been able to keep the furnace burner operating while traveling. It seems like there is too much air blowing in through the exterior vent panel and it blows out the flame.

Does your furnace operate while traveling?

Guy
Yes the furnace will operate while going down the highway
Old 10-21-2016, 02:26 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Yes the furnace will operate while going down the highway

Dave.......I understand that the furnace should operate, but, the wind turbulence while traveling seems to prevent it from firing or at least continuing to fire while traveling.

Guy

Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #19

So did the heat pads turn out to be 12v or 110v?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post

Totally agree. Propane should be off at the tanks for safety.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote