Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Today is the day!

Up early and off to B-Young RV to pickup the new 38RL, I'm excited to get it home and set it up. Hope all goes well, have my check list and my list of questions.
I'll post pictures
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Good luck one your PDI and happy camping.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Congratulations, got our 38GK a few weeks back. The PDI went pretty well and now that we have lived in the unit found about 8-10 items that need work. The biggest three are the Ice Maker does not work, clothes washer won't drain water, and the microwave is on recall. Taking the unit back in to get a second awning installed so will get the others repaired when it is in the shop. So far we love the unit and ready to take it down the road to a new front yard. Hope you love yours.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

jhardin, make sure your dealer knows of the issues before going there. I've found that if replacement parts are required, especial for warranty work, Redwood/Crossroads is SLOW about getting the parts to the dealer.
We told our dealer we were coming and told them what needed attention about 6-8 weeks before arriving, most parts were there but not all.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Traveling

We bought ours at B. Young too! Waiting for our 38RL in a few weeks. VERY interested to hear about your PDI!! Congratulations!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #6

Very exciting time for you. Hope yours goes as well as ours did. Enjoy that Redwood.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Traveling

by the way how long was your wait?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #8

Congrats. It's an exciting time!!! Enjoy!
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #9

It is so fun! Congratulations and best of luck on a flawless delivery!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:24 AM   #10

Well.... Pretty disappointing day!

We bought this one from dealer inventory, when we were looking it over while making the deal we identified several things that needed attention ( learned where to look from this forum) and also had a 5.5K Gen set installed and the batteries switched to 6 Volts.
They did and awesome job on the gen install and the 6 volt change over, seems they totally forgot the rest of our list?

There is also an issue with the residential refrigerator not being secure and no way to keep the doors closed. So after going over the list, adding a few more items we concluded it was best to leave it there and make the 150 mile trek home empty. Needless to say we are very disappointed after, as of yesterday @ 3:30PM we were assured all was good and it would be totally ready by our 10AM appointment.

They will contact Redwood monday morning to determine the fix on the refer issue and order parts then let us know the time frame for pickup. Gotta say not real happy to have all the financing done, payment clock is ticking and it sits on the dealers lot not ready to use.

Something I found very troubling was they didn't seem like this was unacceptable, more like no big deal. Trust me they knew it was a big deal to us!

We will see how this is handled going forward, sure hope it gets someone's attention!

Thanks for All the congrats! We are super excited and after spending even more time in this unit think we have made an awesome choice! Theses are beautiful units, we can't wait to get her home, packed up and out camping!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
Traveling

Oh, how disappointing for you! I would sure like to know who your sales person is. I wasn't aware there was any anchoring for the refrigerator, I will have to look into that. I know that keeping the doors closed is an easy fix. I already picked up the child-latch that works well at Walmart for less than $5. I sure hope they have your list taken care of ASAP!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #12

Blue Dogs,

Sorry I'm jumping into this a little late, but am I to understand that you closed on the financing prior to accepting the coach in full working order? Did you have to pass papers prior to doing the PDI? Does PDI mean Pre-Delivery Inspection or did the dealer only do that after you signed to pay for the unit?

I say this because I was speaking with my sales rep from LazyDays about our delivery in about 10 days and he said something now that concerns me. In retrospect I think he wanted me to sign all the paperwork then get a tech to do a complete walk around and system check. If that really is the case then thanks for pointing that out.

Please advise what you did.....
Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #13

FYI... we didn't finance ours so that was never an issue.

We never even look at at a piece of paper on delivery day until AFTER we had completed our PDI/walkthru and were satisfied that everything was acceptable. There were a few things that needed attention, all cosmetic, that still needed to do done but our dealer presented a "to be done/provided" list with all the other documents that needed to be completed.

We both signed the to do list which had delivery dates on it...I was impressed. The better news...they kept their promise and completed all the to do list as committed!!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
Blue Dogs,

Sorry I'm jumping into this a little late, but am I to understand that you closed on the financing prior to accepting the coach in full working order? Did you have to pass papers prior to doing the PDI? Does PDI mean Pre-Delivery Inspection or did the dealer only do that after you signed to pay for the unit?

I say this because I was speaking with my sales rep from LazyDays about our delivery in about 10 days and he said something now that concerns me. In retrospect I think he wanted me to sign all the paperwork then get a tech to do a complete walk around and system check. If that really is the case then thanks for pointing that out.

Please advise what you did.....
Ksaltman,
What happened was our appointment was @ 10AM. 10 came and went, they told us (at about 10:30) the people before us arrived late and we would be next but while you are waiting you can go into finance and get the paper work out of the way so you won't have to wait later. On the surface it all sounded reasonable then, (not so much now) so that's what we did, after all I had previously been assurement all was in good order. Keep in mind I did not finance through the dealer, I used a private credit union that matched the best rate and terms I could find (Costco) and traded in a Tiffin motor home that I drove up and my father in law brought my pickup.
Looking back I really feel like I was snookered. Two days after we made the deal B-Young called me and wanted to schedule delivery on the 30th. That date was not doable for either my wife or myself, told them it either had to be this weekend or the following, their reply way they needed it out before the 1st and doubted they could get the Generator installed by this weekend. So they checked availability on the Gen then called back, told us the gen was not a problem and it would easily be ready Saturday .... well they were right the gen wasn't the problem, everything else was.
I believe I was told it was ready in order to get the unit delivered by the 1st and to get my trade into them so they could sell it. Salesman told me someone was coming to look at it today.
Looking back I would not have had my credit union send paper work direct to them and I would not have signed anything until AFTER the PDI inspection and I was satisfied.
After sleeping on it I will be contacting the owner of the business.

~~ Yale
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Traveling

That would be Bruce Young. He actually wrote up our deal. He is definitely a "gitter done" kind of guy. I hope they come through for you. I can totally visualise how natural it would be to use the the downtime to get the paperwork done. I am sure they will step up. KEEP US POSTED!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #16

Yale,

Thanks for the info. I will be very careful the order things get done or us next week.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
That would be Bruce Young. He actually wrote up our deal. He is definitely a "gitter done" kind of guy. I hope they come through for you. I can totally visualise how natural it would be to use the the downtime to get the paperwork done. I am sure they will step up. KEEP US POSTED!
Absolutely will keep you posted. Did you get my Private Message?
I admit I wasn't very smart during this either and should have been more on guard. Lesson learned!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #18

Sorry to hear about going home empty

We closed, finished PDI and were driving out the gate and no brakes. We had to leave the truck at the airport and fly home for a week, but I kind of half expected there may be some issues so I kept an open mind and an Plan B in my back pocket. All ended well, so don't let it discourage your purchase too much.

We have closed on 3 new ones, and from the first I have always understood that if you order one and its sitting in the parking lot with 4 wheels and the right serial number, it's yours regardless of the outcome of the PDI. They are obligated to fix anything you find wrong. I did buy one inventory unit, and I think I had more leverage in the deal (more ways to back out) but I just can't remember.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Traveling

Yes got your PM thanks. I agree with AA too, you didnt do anything foolish, you just made things a little more convenient for them, thats all. I wouldnt worry We will probably pay for ours before every last detail is attended to. We bought it 7 weeks ago, final payment is just a detail of that transaction. They will probably make it up to you in some way. Hopefully things will be great when you pick it up. Keeping our fingers crossed for you!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #20
Traveling

I keep thinking about the res. refrigerator, and I haven't searched the forum yet... but why couldn't you install an unobtrusive slide latch (similar to what others have installed on the pantry shelves) on the TOP of the two doors where they meet, and simply slide it closed. Would that not keep the doors closed? I know the velcro strap around the handles works too... I know I will lose that thing by the second trip and will have them tied shut with my shoelace or something. I am going to use the black child-proof latch for the freezer, I think, but certainly something more unobtrusive could be conjured up for that too...? Obviously, I like to figure out "better ways of doing things". It drives my husband CRAZY. ;-) But he was crazy before I came along, because he MARRIED ME.