Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Angry Sorry We bought a Redwood unit!!

We purchased a 2013 Redwood 36RL on Oct 17th, 2013, on the 18th we had a water leak in the bedroom/underbelly area. Found the drain line from the washer had NEVER been hooked up! This water leak also created a problem with the electric motors for the bedroom slide. The unit was returned to the dealer on October 21th for repairs, etc. We finally got the unit back on December 12, 2013 after many delays caused by the Company sending incorrect parts, wrong colored carpet, etc., too many to list here. That is a total of 53 days of waiting for repairs to be completed it also delayed our arrival at our Workamping position for 19 days. Fortunately our employeer was considerate and held the position for us.

We also experenced an unusual number of additional construction errors, lack of workmanship, etc. Amoug them were:
Shower leaks, heater hosed disconnected from main vent, improper interior door installations, nails sticking up in carpet, incorrect adjustment on slides, heater high pitch when running, kitchen facuet leaking, entrance stairs were loose, one fender was broke, all were fixed except for the shower leaks, stairs and fender. Dealer had to order replacement items for the stairs/fender. I have recaulked the shower, it still leaks, it looks like it is a bad installation from the factory. There are other items not correct, too many to list here, the ones mentioned give an idea of the lack of workmanship, etc. by the Thor Company.

Now that we have the unit and are located about 800 miles from the dealer at our WorKamper position, the following items are not working, the heat pump and AC heat have quite, shower still leaks, the heater hose has come loose again, no heat to the main coach but the underbelly is staying nice and warm. I have since repaired this in a manner that will not come loose in the future, the way it should have been completed.

I noticed that there are several blogs regarding water leaks in the bedroom, and comments about the washer drain line being loose/disconnected, well it's not a unique problem from the many comments from other owners, dealer stated, they had never experenced this problem nor heard about the probelm from other owners.

Based on our experence we wished had NOT purchased a Redwood 5th wheel and anyone that has asked how we like the Redwood, we tell them it was a mistake and recommend they not even consider looking at or purchasing a Redwood. We were told different stories from the dealer as well as Redwood Industries for the delays, wrong parts, etc., each were blaming the other party. We purchased the Redwood as new full timers and as our last 5th wheel purchase. Unfortunately it looks like in a few years we will have to consider another purchase to get away from our LEMON. Will do better research on a different unit and make sure the new unit is not made by any company owned by THOR! Which will reduce the number of choices we may have.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry that you have a bad experience with your Redwood. It would be very disappointing to purchase one have that many problems. While the vast majority of us are very happy with our coaches there have been a few bad ones produced. It should not be like that but it happens to all RV producers once in awhile. Just follow other RV forums and you see others with problems. Doesn't make it feel any better for you guys however.

Hope that you can get your coach fixed to your satisfaction and be able to start enjoying it soon.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your Redwood. I agree that most of these issues should be resolved at the factory during manufacturing, but the dealer should also pick them up and resolve during dealer prep.

A small number of owners have experienced fairly significant issues, but Redwood has generally stepped up to the plate and resolved them with exceptional customer service. While you have experienced a poor beginning to the relationship, I suggest it is a tad early to walk away. I would be calling the service centre directly with the list of issues and see how they will work with you in resolving them.

Good luck and hoping you get them resolved expeditiously so you can enjoy your RW.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Always hate to hear when someone is unhappy.

Yes there was an issue with the washer drain. Fortunately I read about it on the Forum before I bought, and was able to avoid the problem. It wasn't that they didn't hook it up, it actually would get caught in the slide and pop off.

Your experience reinforces my belief that the quickest way to get unhappy is to make a big full time plan that starts by driving these off the lot. I'm convinced that they need to be owned and operated for a year to get the bugs out before relying on them for home.

I've only ever seen one color carpet. What color carpet did you get that was wrong?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #5

Have you asked RW about hiring a local tech and taking care of some of these issue? As we were traveling we had a repair needed and RW told us to find a local repair guy and paid for it.
2013 36 RL
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Sorry for your problems. We bought a 36RL in July of 2012 and have had very few problems. It seems like no matter what you buy there are people that have had problems with it. in '06 we bought a Carriage that we had a few problems with. A few more that what we have had with the Redwood, but none too bad. In 1978 we bought a Chevy P/U that was nothing but a lemon. Owned it for a year and it spent more time in the shop than out. I now have an 08 Chevy that has been very good. Just like a restaurant, I won't rate a product on one thing. If the problems are corrected satisfactory, or if the second try is good I just chalk it up to a bad experience and go on from there. There is no guarantee that you won't have problems with another brand.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Team

The electric motors for your bedroom slide are mounted at eye level at the top of the slides, so if the drain from the washer effected them then your trailer was under water.

Over the past 3 years that Redwood has been in production, there has been many of these annoying issues that have been slowly worked out of production issues. In reading posts from the new buyers it's refreshing to see that for the past several months many of the larger issues have been resolved. These trailers like all RV's have and will continue having issues pertaining to the suppliers or the human factor of assembly line production. I've been corresponding by email with someone with another high end unit (Excel) which is now looking at Redwood because of issues. So I think it's safe to say, that they all have their problems regardless of the name on the side.

Somehow it seems that your trailer has had a synopsis of every problem Redwood has ever experienced, all in one trailer.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Since the Bedroom motor controller is mounted in the upper left hand (road side) front corner of the basement (at least on our '12 36RL) it's possible washer water leaked into that thus causing problems with that slide.
We've had a few issues, probably the first to have the washer drain issue that I reported here along with pics of my mod and repair. But we've been living in our RW for almost 2 years and have not been to a service center for other than have a leaky jack changed while doing the yearly inspection.
I look at it this way, if you're going to own an RV you have two choices: Be a Good Handyman/woman or have Deep Pockets.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Team

One other thing worth mentioning - you said the heat pumps on the AC had stopped working. If you are in an area where it's much colder than about 40 degrees the heat pumps cannot keep up with that and will automatically shut down and switch on the furnace. Designed this way. You will find other RV heating systems, other than an AquaHot, are going to work the same,way.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Site Team

And I agree with Michelle and Dave. After owning many boats and now an RV with essentially the same systems, if you're not somewhat handy, then there will be repair expenses and trips to service depts.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
The electric motors for your bedroom slide are mounted at eye level at the top of the slides, so if the drain from the washer effected them then your trailer was under water.

Over the past 3 years that Redwood has been in production, there has been many of these annoying issues that have been slowly worked out of production issues. In reading posts from the new buyers it's refreshing to see that for the past several months many of the larger issues have been resolved. These trailers like all RV's have and will continue having issues pertaining to the suppliers or the human factor of assembly line production. I've been corresponding by email with someone with another high end unit (Excel) which is now looking at Redwood because of issues. So I think it's safe to say, that they all have their problems regardless of the name on the side.

Somehow it seems that your trailer has had a synopsis of every problem Redwood has ever experienced, all in one trailer.
Lillyputz?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
Lillyputz?
Sure sounds like it
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #13

If we don't get ours back soon, and fixed, it might be me ....
We're already 60+ days out of 120 in the shop (and counting!)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
Site Team

That much time in the shop is just wrong. Is it at a dealer or at the service center in Topeka?? What are they saying about a completed date???
Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
If we don't get ours back soon, and fixed, it might be me ....
We're already 60+ days out of 120 in the shop (and counting!)
What is causing the delays?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #16
Site Team

Johnboytoo, what are the problems with your trailer?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #17

Ya Johnboytoo, what are the issues?

As said, is this a dealer problem or parts problem from the factory?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #18

I've not posted it hoping it would come to an end... but really frustrated after missing use of it over Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Two visits for 30+ days each time and, mostly, a repeated list of 20 items or so... would take too much time to list but primarily batteries and leaks...

I really don't know why all the issues,
but, IMHO, most of the problems were mfg problems,
build issues, not fixed during pdi (even though many were mentioned and said fixed), and not fixed on the first 30 day visit...
so the blame is shared with ExploreUSA -
the only way I could think of it taking so long is that they serially process everything...
i.e. check one thing, order the part, when that comes in they fix it,
then check the next thing and order that part...etc...

I've been overly patient, they even gave me a rooftop sat antenna, but starting to think that didn't 'make up for it'
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #19

Johnboy - Here's hoping they get everything repaired properly this time. Good luck and stay positive thinking of the great times you'll have in a great coach with unlimited football and other sports on the telly via a comp dish.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #20

Johnnyboy - are you at the Canton Explore USA?
Closed Thread

Tags
lemon, poor workmanship, washer drain line, wrong parts