Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #1

Angry Slide-out warranty problem

Purchased a brand new 2014 redwood 38 GK, the day i got it home opened slides and ripped the trim on the wall right off, the air conditioner didn't have a drain line leaked water thru roof electrical shorts whole house vacuum broken t.v. were falling off brackets. and there's more this has been the worst nightmare in my life. it took two months for them to fix. got it back and it opened up another can of problems, slide out is tearing carpeting up window in bedroom is broke the furnace discharge blows the heat out onto storage door melted it they have agreed to fix everything but can't get parts to repair facility. it's been there two months again the repair facility sent a truck for parts today to the factory only to find out there was none. they also promised to make my payments for the first repair which took two months and they RENEGED on their promise. WORD TO THE WISE STAY AWAY THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL BUT IT'S ONLY SKIN DEEP. I am not new to the rv industry this is my 4th unit.BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Sure seems to be a lot wrong......never heard of a storage door melting.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUOE150 View Post
Purchased a brand new 2014 redwood 38 GK, the day i got it home opened slides and ripped the trim on the wall right off, the air conditioner didn't have a drain line leaked water thru roof electrical shorts whole house vacuum broken t.v. were falling off brackets. and there's more this has been the worst nightmare in my life. it took two months for them to fix. got it back and it opened up another can of problems, slide out is tearing carpeting up window in bedroom is broke the furnace discharge blows the heat out onto storage door melted it they have agreed to fix everything but can't get parts to repair facility. it's been there two months again the repair facility sent a truck for parts today to the factory only to find out there was none. they also promised to make my payments for the first repair which took two months and they RENEGED on their promise. WORD TO THE WISE STAY AWAY THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL BUT IT'S ONLY SKIN DEEP. I am not new to the rv industry this is my 4th unit.BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see from your IP address that your in the Monee Illinois area. Which dealer did you buy your trailer from?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

yes it is, and the sad thing is there's more, the worst thing is it's all true and it's been in the shop 50% of the time that we have owned the unit. I have talked with other redwood owners that have had no problem what so ever, I only can wish that I was one of them!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Referring back to what Dave said above, a lot of what you describe should have been caught and corrected by the dealer at PDI. What dealer did you buy the unit from ?
Sorry for all your issues.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Sure seems to be a lot wrong......never heard of a storage door melting.
I don't know about the storage door melting, BUT I had the dealer apply the coating to preserve the full body paint. I've noticed some discoloration around the furnace exhaust. I could only believe the heat from the furnace has burned the aftermarket coating. Mind you it's only a surface discoloration at this time but the haze can't be fixed with compound or wax. It looks like a haze but has an aligator patern as if it was burned. It's strictly a surface blemish which is what makes me think along those lines.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Tiara RV Elkhart Indiana. but i'm not dealing with them for repairs. i wouldn't let them work on a tricycle. Redwood agreed for a local REPUTABLE dealer can do the work and that's where it's at. like i said redwood told them all parts will be here on 5-13-14 they sent their own driver for them to find out that they didn't have one part. my unit has been sitting outside for 2 more months which i'm not happy with because when it's not in use i have it parked in my pole barn.lets face it the factory did stupid things such as put p trap on with hose barb for dishwasher, but there isn't one and they did not seal it or put on a hose with ball valve they just left it open and i found out when wife was calling me to race into unit to see water all over the floor and the base of the woodwork on the island drenched with water.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about all your problems ... 50 people/units shouldn't have issues like this. In cases like this, we would hope that RW would step up and either provide a replacement unit or pay to have your unit returned to the factory for repairs and a complete QC inspection. And then, of course, have a little chat with the folks assembling and inspecting them. The auto industry tightened things up, and it's time the RV industry did the same. I personally wouldn't mind spending a few thousand more for an RV if I knew that they were assembled and inspected in a manner to avoid problems such as you've experienced. I hope JeffM is reading this and will forward this on to his exec. staff. Redwood should become the industry standard on quality. (Stepping off soapbox now...) Thanks for sharing your experience; I'm taking delivery of our GK in a month or so, and I'm planning on a week at the local RV park to do the QC inspection which I know my dealer can't do. And by the way, I'm gonna pay myself handsomely to do it! :-)
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Sorry you are having trouble with your new Redwood. That would be very disappointing. I agree with others that most of these problems should have been fixed by the dealer prior to delivery. On the other hand, most should have not gotten out of the factory. I hope and believe RW will get you fixed up so you can begin to enjoy your new coach. There have been some owners with problems but most, including myself, have had very few problems and love our coaches.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #10

If you're having work done by a dealer in Indiana I would suggest just bypassing the dealer and working directly with Redwood/Crossroads, their service/warranty work is done in Topeka Indiana.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Team

From where you are in Illinois, you're really not far from the factory. The service center is top notch and if I were in your shoes, that trailer would be parked in their lot.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #12

I am working with redwood that is why it's so frustrating they can't even get me parts for repair I have been working from Ron Howard all the way up the chain of command. I'm going to ask the servicing dealer to join this conversation they to can't believe what's going on, I mean they drove to plant yesterday for parts that were promised only to get nothing now they're losing money???
Old 05-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

They don't want it already crossed that bridge they claim to be an assembly facility
Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

Interesting. We just bought our Redwood from the same place in Elkhart. I will let you know if we have any issues.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #15

I'm at the point to were they should just give me a new one or just buy it back !!!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #16

Did you order your Redwood and is so when they put the slides out at Tiara did they work properly? I read about a problem with the carpet tearing when screws were added to stabilize a table and ended up penetrating the underside of the slide.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #17

the fiberglass on the door shrunk from the heat from furnace. it's about a 5-6" round indentation from the heat
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

JohnEileen, I wish you the best of luck!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #19

We purchased our 36fb from Tiara and found them to be excellent, after they walked us thru the unit inside their shop and answered all of our questions they pulled the unit outside and hooked it up and we continued with our own checklist for two days which was no problem with them. Actually the service Mgr checked with us at least twice a day.. I liked doing business with a smaller dealership where the owner is right on site and actually introduces themselves to you, which is what we found at Tiara. Good Luck with your unit, it does have a two year warranty and one year coachnet service.
Bill Wright
Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #20

I wish you both the best as well. We bought the manufacturers demo unit at last September's RV Show in Hershey PA. We debated all the pros and cons of a show unit, and decided to buy 1). because it already had all the features we wanted, 2). It had to have been pretty well inspected before delivery to the show: it wouldn't pay to have a damaged or leaky unit on the show floor, and 3). The RV dealer representing RW at the show was probably a reliable one -RW wouldn't select an irreputable dealer to represent them at a big show (would they?). The amount of wear and tear from having a few hundred people walk through just wasn't enough of a "con" for us - in fact, all those people opening and closing this and that was excellent QC ... if a door was gonna come off or if a drawer was mounted incorrectly, all those "QC technicians" checking out our unit were likely to discover it. Anyway, right of wrong, that's my story and I'm sticking with it! HA! Hope all your current troubles will soon just be memories.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
Closed Thread