Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #21

Regarding my previous post, one big "con" was that we would not be picking up the unit for close to a year, and didn't want to lose that much of the 2year warranty. The dealer completely agreed and offered an extra 2 year warranty plus free storage for a year. It's been stored outside and there were no signs of any leakage when we made a predelivery walk-through in April.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
Old 05-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #22

There is something to be said about buying a unit from the rv show...
but don't think it's RW that is selecting the dealer...
it's just the dealer going to the show to sell rv's

we ordered ours since we could not find one how we wanted...

and let me say I FEEL your pain...
I've really not shared our story yet,
but ours has been out of service more than in service...

We've given up on the local dealers, but really don't want the loss of use during the only time it's feasible to rv in Texas
to take months to go back to the factory
(who didn't assemble it correctly in the first place)
so we are left with very few options...
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #23

Interesting on the door - I've melted them before on a generator. Now I need to look at how mine opens in relation to the furnace.

Sorry for your troubles - sucks, especially this time of year when they are so busy.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
Site Team

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUOE150 View Post
Tiara RV Elkhart Indiana. but i'm not dealing with them for repairs. i wouldn't let them work on a tricycle. Redwood agreed for a local REPUTABLE dealer can do the work and that's where it's at. like i said redwood told them all parts will be here on 5-13-14 they sent their own driver for them to find out that they didn't have one part. my unit has been sitting outside for 2 more months which i'm not happy with because when it's not in use i have it parked in my pole barn.lets face it the factory did stupid things such as put p trap on with hose barb for dishwasher, but there isn't one and they did not seal it or put on a hose with ball valve they just left it open and i found out when wife was calling me to race into unit to see water all over the floor and the base of the woodwork on the island drenched with water.

First off.....sorry to hear about all of the issues with your Redwood.

We also purchased (ordered) our 2012 36RL through Tiara RV in Elkhart in July 2011 and took possession on September 12, 2011. We were both still working full time at the time and did not have but a few hours (2 1/2) to do our walk through while a 5th wheel hitch was being installed on our truck. This is our first 5th wheel so we asked as many questions as we could think of. I am rather neutral about Tiara RV......they did offer to let us stay in the coach overnight next to their shop, but unfortunately, we did not have the time. So, crossed our fingers and took ownership and the rig home. I do think though that when a customer spends this much money, they should be following up with the customer to at least thank him for his business or find out if he is satisfied with the purchase....we had neither. We have had very few and only minor issues with our unit. I have subsequently only worked with the factory service center for maintenance and annual inspections rather than Tiara because the factory service center is nearly 2 hours closer to my location.

I hope you are able to quickly get resolution to the issues you are experiencing. I can understand your frustration. Tiara should have done a better job of delivery and Redwood should be putting forth a much stronger effort at improving their quality control function. They have too good of a product to have these type of issues dragging on it.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
They don't want it already crossed that bridge they claim to be an assembly facility
Am I understanding this statement correctly? The service center isn't interested in performing warranty service? Isn't this location where many of the forum members take their coaches for work? I'm confused.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
They don't want it already crossed that bridge they claim to be an assembly facility
I too am confused about this statement. The service center at Topeka, In. is NOT the assembly facility. It is a service and repair facility. I have been there. The factory (assembly facility) is in Syracuse, In. I am surprised that the service center did not offer to work on it at that facility.

I also thought Ron Howard had moved on and was not at the service center now?? Has he returned or was I mistaken??
Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #27
Site Team

Ron still works there but in a different capacity.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #28
Site Team

I don't understand the melted door yet. I've used my Redwood for 2 years and have had it in weather where the furnace was blasting for several days at a time and haven't seen any negative results.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #29

Our utility driver side door (water cable etc) had a big divot in it when we were to take delivery, caused by the door restraint cable not installed and the door flapped all the way open (I think at the dealer or factory) which put it directly in front of the furnace exhaust. Dealer replaced door at no charge.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Our utility driver side door (water cable etc) had a big divot in it when we were to take delivery, caused by the door restraint cable not installed and the door flapped all the way open (I think at the dealer or factory) which put it directly in front of the furnace exhaust. Dealer replaced door at no charge.
At least this makes sense, something I understand.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #31

Blenhardt, the dealer i'm working with has still not been paid for the first round of problems that also took two months and ruined our trip to Colorado, they told redwood to come pick it up they said that they would prefer that it was fixed here in Bradley IL. But they made them give a P.O. FOR PRIOR REPAIRS FOR PAYMENT AND A P.O. FOR HRS ON THESE REPAIRS!!! now once again two months later they sent their driver to pick up parts yesterday and there wasn't any there !!!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 AM   #32

GINNY DO YOU WORK FOR REDWOOD??? IT WAS JANUARY WE LEFT FOR FLORIDA WHEN WE GOT THERE THE CAMPER WAS STILL CHICAGO WEATHER INSIDE AND ONLY 40 DEGREES IN FLORIDA SO OPEN YOUR MIND. SETTING UP CAMP DOORS OPEN DOOR STOP NOT MOUNTED PROPERLY FURNACE DISCHARGE BLOWING DIRECTLY ON DOOR BECAUSE IT SWUNG OPEN TO FAR FURNACE HEATED UP THE FIBERGLASS AND MELTED !!! PLEASE DON'T ASK AGAIN THERE HAS BEEN ANOTHER PERSON THAT POSTED SAME PROBLEM AND REDWOOD ADMITTED TO REPAIRING DEALER THAT THEY HAVE A FLAW IN THEIR DOOR STOP..... READ FOXFIRE AND THERE'S MORE!!! PLEASE I DO NOT NEED YOU MAKING MY EXPERIENCE WORSE THAN IT ALREADY IS............Ron Hward handled the case the first round i don't know if he's there or not. dealing with Mark Quinn and Rick Drinkwine.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #33

You never stated if you performed a PDI yourselves or not and in all of your postings you never sign your name. It is hard to believe that all of this occurred after a thorough inspection. You did state that this was not your first RV
Bill
Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #34

While I hate to hear of owners with problems with their Redwoods and hope you get the issues resolved, I and am sure many others don't appreciate posts that were obviously deliberately capitalised.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #35

Sorry was at a wake didn't notice till the end and didn't want to re-type,although the question of ginny working for redwood was suppose to be that way if he read foxfire he would have had his answer best friend passed. auto accident taken to soon !!! and yes we did pdi and spent the night at the store.
Tom
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #36

Tom,

Please understand that all of us on here are only trying to understand...and help.

We emphasize with your situation and are only trying to understand YOUR issue in order to lend a hand. Dave [Ginny] does not work for Redwood, he is truly one of Redwood's biggest fans and has offered almost everyone on this forum, including myself many times over, assistance in helping to resolve our problems/questions.

We understand that you are very frustrated, we feel your pain but we are not your problem. I for one am very willing to help if I can, but if attacked will be very reluctant to assist again. Take a deep breath!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #37

Ok I agree, we also had a lot of items on our first repair list. (washer wouldn't drain, ice maker wouldn't make ice, microwave has bad touch pad, etc) It should not be the dealers problem to fix all of these when they get the unit and it should not be my place to spend two days in a PDI to find all of them. It goes to REDWOOD QUALITY ASSURANCE. They should be inspected at each area of assembly and a final inspection before they leave the plant. When we spend $100K on a camper they should be ready to live in.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #38

IUOE150, can you post some pictures of your GK and the problems you are experiencing?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
GINNY DO YOU WORK FOR REDWOOD??? IT WAS JANUARY WE LEFT FOR FLORIDA WHEN WE GOT THERE THE CAMPER WAS STILL CHICAGO WEATHER INSIDE AND ONLY 40 DEGREES IN FLORIDA SO OPEN YOUR MIND. SETTING UP CAMP DOORS OPEN DOOR STOP NOT MOUNTED PROPERLY FURNACE DISCHARGE BLOWING DIRECTLY ON DOOR BECAUSE IT SWUNG OPEN TO FAR FURNACE HEATED UP THE FIBERGLASS AND MELTED !!! PLEASE DON'T ASK AGAIN THERE HAS BEEN ANOTHER PERSON THAT POSTED SAME PROBLEM AND REDWOOD ADMITTED TO REPAIRING DEALER THAT THEY HAVE A FLAW IN THEIR DOOR STOP..... READ FOXFIRE AND THERE'S MORE!!! PLEASE I DO NOT NEED YOU MAKING MY EXPERIENCE WORSE THAN IT ALREADY IS............Ron Hward handled the case the first round i don't know if he's there or not. dealing with Mark Quinn and Rick Drinkwine.

I guess this is directed to me......No I don't work for Redwood (I'm a publisher), I just enjoy their product and like helping people. Your case sounds very unique and most of what has been described here should have been caught by the dealership during the pre-inspection. The dealers make a great deal of money (50-70%) on these trailers and all those little adjustments are supposed to be checked by them.

As for the door melting, again the dealer should have caught the door was opening too far. I've never melted my door while winter camping and so far there's only been 2, counting you reporting this problem. If you put a fiberglass door next to a heat source for a long period of time, it makes since there could be damage. Somehow, you've imagined all Redwoods to be inferior in someway due to your experience. However there are thousands out there and although there are design flaws and QC problems, these are great RVs which is apparent by the posts of the other owners on here who have tested their trailers through all sorts of conditions.

dave
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #40
Site Team

I agree with Dave's statement. As I stated earlier, in this thread, I am sorry you have the problems and I would not be happy if it were me. On the other hand, to infer that the Redwood is an inferior brand is not correct. You started a thread on RV.net and the Redwood bashing has begun. Yes there have been some not good units shipped and should have not left the factory. That is true of all RV companies. Quality in the RV industry is not that great. Just read other brands forums. I hope and believe Redwood is working on continuous quality improvement. Of the thousands built (some not so good) most are great RV's and are a joy to use. I hope you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction soon and can enjoy your coach.
Closed Thread