Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #1

Satellite Dish pros and cons

I am considering adding a satellite dish to the 39FL I have on order once it arrives. Still researching what kinds of options they have for Dish and Direct TV. Looking for input from those who've used them on their FW's. Using a Mi Fi system is going to be horribly expensive so thats been ruled out. This is going to be my full time home for the next 10 to 15 years so I'm trying to cover all the bases while I can.
NikD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #2

Here was a pretty good discussion.

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...dish-2319.html

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #3

I have the Dish Hopper and Joey systems and I love the system plus I get HDTV at all three TVs in mine with the factory Redwood wiring. The new ones are wireless, so it doesn't matter anymore.

I have a Winegard Travler SK-1000 antenna, which commits me to Dish as they are not convertible to Direct TV like some of the other winegard sat antennas. The Antenna works marvelously.

Dish - rated 10 worst companies to work for, and they aren't any better with customers. I've had them for 25 years or whenever they first came out. I have an account for my house, and I was told I could get an RV account that is day by day through Dish if I buy my own equipment. That part works fine for normal situations, but I have a Hopper and technically Dish does not allow the Hopper in RVs because it apparently causes them heartache on warranty for the hard drive. Didn't seem to matter to them that it was my personal equipment. I got it all resolved after a month long struggle and 50 phone calls, but the very next time I tried to go on standby, I had to start over with them not allowing a Hopper in an RV. My resolution - I'm on a summer cabin plan and I can shut it off 9 months a year and pay $5 a month to keep the account open and it has worked - not what I hoped, but it works. Ultimately if you go with the 211 receivers they want you to, you can get an RV account like a tailgator. May not mean much if you are full timing, but that's my story.

Rumor has it Dish is merging with T-Mobile, not Direct TV like Direct TV salesman would like you to think.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Similar to atom ant, but we have winegard for direct tv. Slimline dish. Commits us to direct. We just have a box in the living room . If full time with direct you would use genie system. Dish has similar set up.
I have this now and would get it again. Push a button. Satellites locked on before I can get a drink made. All automatic. In my opinion, well worth the money.
However if you park in trees you may not get signal. I kept our carry out for those times which are very few. Carry out doesn't work as well and no hd.
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #5

We have Dish at home. Added a 211Z receiver from CW and a Pathfinder 2 sat. antennae. $7/month, just like adding another Joey. I can watch whatever programing I have at home anywhere I am at. Works great. All automatic. They have Dish Anywhere program where I can watch all of it on my cell or tablet, no extra cost. We've been very happy with the service.

I was told by Dish that the Hopper would not work with portable antennae. I'm going to try it, though. That would be the way to go.

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

We have Dish and like Atom, it's a PIA when moving. I work on the road and move from place to place every 3 to 6 months. I have my DVR and dish that was in our s&b. The dish is mounted on a stand that sits flat on the ground secured by a couple of blocks. I don't have the fancy dish that you point and shoot with. There are times that I am in the trees and would not be able to get a signal with one mounted on my camper. I would like to mount a point and shoot on the stand but it may walk away during the night. As for customer service, when we call and inform them that we need the coordinates for the system, I don't tell them it is an RV. In the past when I needed a tech to help get a signal, they don't care that it is an RV and it seems to raise flags to those on the phone when you tell them. Many years with Dish and happy for the most part.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Unlike others, I have had good luck with Dish. There are a few tricks that make things easy. Dish sponsors many RV shows and is RV friendly, but as others have stated, the message doesn't get to all employees. My way to avoid the problem is simple, I NEVER call. Dish support has a chat feature. I NEVER chat with customer service, I only use technical support.

When I move, I just login, give them my new address, they send locals and I'm done. I keep the billing at my home address. Simple, painless and done in just a few minutes.

I learned from Brad's (AA) misfortune. Although I have a 211K, I bring my Hopper from the house. I use an LG smart TV for the outside that has a built in Joey app that connects wirelessly to the Hopper.

I use a Dish1000 on a tripod. I prefer this setup as I camp in trees often and the fixed roof mount won't work for me as well (plus I'm too cheap!). I get my coordinates from Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com. Enter your address and choose multi LNB, Dish and your exact coordinates are displayed. I use a Satlook Lite meter that tones all three satellites at the dish before connecting to the Hopper.

Lastly, I still have my Tailgater but I don't use it for a few reasons. It can't work with the Hopper. Hopper needs a solo node that requires 2 coax feeds from the 3 LNB's on the antenna. Tailgater only has one. Also, the tailgater uses software to switch between satellites as it can't see all 3 at once. The other reason I stopped using the Tailgater is that I like HD for sports. The farther north I travel, the more difficult time the tailgater has in picking up the HD signal (more atmosphere to travel through according to Dish). Rain and fog limit reception. The one nice feature is that when the HD signal was lost, it did switch to standard def. That worked well if I was watching live, but not so good recording to watch later on the DVR.

Ken
Old 07-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Have directv that was on redwood now on monaco...
Had a directv installer hook it up and set it up as new rooms on my home account...
Did this before wireless so have two boxes living room is dvr and bedroom is non dvr, but can watch dvr'ed stuff in br fine...

I would recommend wireless nowdays !

Oh, and directv is much less expensive...
$6 per month instead of $7
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #9

Ken, I meant to ask how that wireless joey works!? I haven't talked to anyone with them yet.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #10

Brad,
Ok, not perfect. Wireless can be a bit taxing for HD. I repositioned my router yesterday and it was better watching a ball game. We're out this weekend and I have 3 games to record so I'll have a better idea.

Wired would be better. I have the Hopper in the living room and a direct coax to the outside TV...just not sure how to wire it from the Hopper.

Btw, I installed the moryde articulating TV mount for the outside TV, big improvement being able to adjust the viewing angle
Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #11

Ken, Very Nice on the TV bracket.

I was going to get the wireless Joey for my garage, but maybe I better just get the cable run like I originally planned! Anything that keeps me out of the crawlspace or attic I usually look at for an option first
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #12

Brad,
Yup, I'd go wired if I were you. I just checked on line. If I use a Dish 'tap', I can split the cable run in the living room. It will allow me to connect the Hopper and split off to the Joey.

This weekend will be a good test. If I get a bunch of latency still, the wireless will bite the dust and I'll go wired.

Ken
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #13

There was something in this drawing that made me not feel real confident I could split at the Hopper - something about the hose and client on the solo node. I don't know if its true or not.

My Dish split is in the bedroom to serve those two TVs (bedroom and basement)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WF-810 SK-1000 with Joey & Hopper.pdf (117.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
We use the Dish Tailgater and Dish 211. Has worked great including HD for two years. I can turn it on or off with a phone call, and it adds $7 a month to my account at home. Only downside is it only works for a single TV. We usually hook up to the RV Park cable for the second TV, or over the air antenna. We added a one TB hard drive to the 211 and turned it into a DVR for $99. Simple connection with a USB cable.This is the most economical avenue to satellite TV on an RV. One feature I like is I can move the Tailgater (on a 75 coax cable) to get a clear picture of the sky whereas sometimes an RV pad can be shadowed under trees that block the signal. Never had that problem. Another advantage compared to some other portable systems is that the Tailgater gets its power supply thru the same coax cable that brings the signal in. Some portable dishes need a separate 12 volt power supply, thus another cable to run. Worst part about DISH service is getting thru on the phone (sometimes long waits), and getting an understandable English speaker.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #15

Brad,
Check out page 5 of the attachment. That is how I could use the existing coax in the Redwood....

NW Snowbirds, I had that same configuration and loved it too! Try the chat feature on Dish support page...It will save you tons of aggravation!

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HopperJoeySystem_JobAid.pdf (2.05 MB, 17 views)
Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #16

I keep seeing prices of 6 and 7 dollars a month added to existing subscriptions from home…but what are you paying initially for Dish and Direct TV on your RV? And I am unfamiliar with the joey and some of the other components listed in these posts. Trying to decide if its worth the investment to add a dish to the 39FL after it arrives at the dealers this Fall.
NikD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #17

NikD800
Sorry for getting off topic! Do you have an existing Dish account at home?
If so, you can add another receiver for $7.00 per month and leave it in the RV.

There are several options as far as hardware:
1. Tailgater portable antenna
2. Traveler fixed dish, roof mounted on the RV
3. Tripod with fixed dish.

As far as programming, it depends if you have dish at home. If not, Dish has an on the go subscription that allows you to go month to month, turning it on/off at will.

The programming costs vary depending on your package. I have America Top 250 and pay $85.00, plus $12 for dvr service. Additional receivers are $7.00 each.

Ken
Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Brad,
Check out page 5 of the attachment. That is how I could use the existing coax in the Redwood....

NW Snowbirds, I had that same configuration and loved it too! Try the chat feature on Dish support page...It will save you tons of aggravation!

Ken
Ah there you go! I hadn't seen that version before. I need to file it.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikD800 View Post
I keep seeing prices of 6 and 7 dollars a month added to existing subscriptions from home…but what are you paying initially for Dish and Direct TV on your RV? And I am unfamiliar with the joey and some of the other components listed in these posts. Trying to decide if its worth the investment to add a dish to the 39FL after it arrives at the dealers this Fall.
Like Ken says - or if you want to just turn it on and off when you use the RV, you can do the tailgator 211 system through Dish or even Camping World. You buy the equipment and pay by the day. Because that never worked for me, I don't know what the daily cost is, but I believe it would be prorated amount of the package you select, or about $3 a day.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #20

My sister had them in their MH and they worked quite well. Now they bought a park model in AZ and they work equally as well. Wireless joeys weren't out yet when we got our system, but our 3 TV system in our 36RL works great with the installed cable, so our hopper and joey gives us HD and DVR capability at each one, so we're happy.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote