Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #1

Reviews of 38GK ???

We went to Lazy Days in Tampa today to look at the relatively new 38MB, but we left more impressed by the 38GK with the awesome amount of kitchen pantry area--my wife tells me that's great so I listen.

The spec sheet indicates the new king slide-in-slide is standard in the 38GK, but if the one we saw had one, it was not extended.

From owners or those who have looked closely, what do you think are the pros and cons of this floor plan.

We have a 2013 36RE and want more overall room, a sliding shower door, and the recliners in the living area facing the TV. Ours is used as a quasi park model on a lot we own in St. Augustine so moving it around is not a big issue.

Comments?

Thanks in advance
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
Site Team

I love everything about the GK but my wife doesn't like the location of the shower and she still loves the stair case in the RL. Otherwise I'd have one.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #3

The pantries and large shower did it for us...
well, and the 55" tv 8 foot away from the recliners

WISH the king slide in slide was available when we ordered-
we would have gotten it... but we still got the king bed --- that expensive foam mattress that matched the one at home was coming to the new 5er no matter what !
Even if we had to turn sideways to get into the bedroom

that's the only thing I would change with the layout...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:21 AM   #4

We love our 38GK that we purchased in December 2013. The only item that I was not crazy about was the sink in the bedroom; however, we were told at the Dallas show that there is an option to put a cabinet in place of the sink for $350.00. The major selling point for the wife were the two pantries in the kitchen.

RW recently made three modifications to the GK that I really like, but ours does not have. RW made a rear storage compartment for the 50amp cord, a buffet cabinet incorporated with the dining table, and an outside TV. We installed a TV and soundbar in the exterior compartment that RW promotes as a "toolbox". Works really nice.

Overall we are very pleased and will start full timing shortly when the contract on our house closes.

Bob, Mary & Kailee Ann
2014 38GK
2013 F-350 DW Diesel
03 Harley Classic & Idaho Tote
Caribe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #5

With our 36FL even a couple of inches extra on each side of the bed would have been nice. Oh well, that's the price to pay for a King bed.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 AM   #6

In retrospect, there are times I wished I waited for the 38RL with the king slide in slide - but oh well.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

Well, we have ours for almost 6 weeks now, a fairly good "shake down cruise". We are heading home now but here are a few observations:

Ours has the Queen s-i-s, residential refer and a 42" TV in the living room. Build date was in August so I guess it was sitting for a while.

We had a queen sleep # in our old rig. We had replaced the king for additional room so we were used to the queen. We like the middle bath. We had my daughter and youngest grandson visit for a few days, followed by my 3 adult boys for a few days of golf and spring baseball. We normally don't have company, but the center bath was great for all. Our couch was not the hide-a-bed so we purchased a areobed. Setup in the living room, it worked well.

The 2 pantries were a big attraction. Once I installed the slide bolts (thanks Brad), we're not concerned about the drawers coming open. We had looked at the same rig with the rv refer and the larger island. Though the dish drawer was attractive, we got by with using a dish rack, storing the dishes on their sides, in the cabinet next to the microwave. All of our glassware and coffee cups fit in the same cabinet.

The coat closet was something that we missed on the old rig and appreciate having one again. The space in the cap for the bedroom closet is fantastic. DW has even been able to get all of her crafts stowed in the closet. We have a washer/dryer and find that the laundry area is conveniently located in the bath area, better than in the front cap of our old rig.

I guess they upgraded the TV to a 55" after they made this but the 42" works for us.

Overall, this floor plan is a winner for us. It is comfortable, convenient and well designed.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #8

Ken
Curious about your bed mattress. Did you transfer your sleep# bed to your RW? Or are you satisfied with the stock RW mattress ? We think we will order the sofa bed if that's an option as we want to travel with a couple of our grandchildren as much as possible.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

An option to the sofa bed is one of the air beds with integral legs that inflate/deflate automatically and stow into almost a suitcase.

Our 36FL doesn't have the sofa bed option, so once our kids start producing grandkids we are going to pick up a queen size air bed. They fit perfectly in our living room.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #10

Our 38GK is currently in the paint shop so we will have it soon. We have slept in a king our entire life but opted for the queen slide-in-slide for the extra room around the bed and especially at the foot end. The shower in the GK is larger than the RL, and we thought it might be awkward having it in the hall, but there is a door to close off the bed/bath area from the living/kitchen area. Sofa beds are known to be uncomfortable so we skipped that which gives you the large storage under the couch. When we first looked at Redwoods last summer we saw an inflatable bed in the couch storage at the dealership but it wasn't on the option list when we ordered in January.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #11

Rv4us2,
Yes, we moved the sleep # from the old to the new rig. I had the dealer remove the (box) springs and add a ply wood base. He covered it with a commercial grade carpet and installed the pump underneath the ply. He did a fine job.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #12

Thank you all for the information to date. It is very helpful.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #13

We have a King in our 36FL and it has little room either side of the bed - about 6" to 8". With the dogs and cat expecting some of the bed, a queen just wasn't an option

Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #14

I am quite confused, which for me is not unusual, but one of the posters referenced a king slide-in slide. Based upon a conversation with a salesperson this morning who spoke with his Redwood Rep, there is no king slide-in-slide.

According to him and I hope he is wrong, you can have a king with no slide-in-slide or a queen with the slide-in-slide. That was major disappointing, possibly a deal killer.

He did say that anything ordered now will be a 2015 and that they will have fixed the problem with residential refrigerator requiring the smaller island. Apparently, they are going to a refrigerator that is more flush with its cabinet that will allow the full island.

Comments or actual experience with a true king slide-in-slide and not the discontinued version with the altered mattress with essentially a queen head and king remainder.

Thanks,

Jpdunc
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #15

Redwood stopped the King slide in slide briefly last year, but it now been included as an option. If memory is correct they brought it out again when the new 38 models were introduced.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #16

The only thing I would change is the bed, prefer a king, but have learned to deal with it. The recliners in front of the 55 along with all kitchen pantries sold us.We like the sink in the bedroom, we use it for getting ready, this way the powder room sink is always clean if company drops by.
cedars15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #17

Angry

As a follow-up and a disappointing development, the new pricing sheet for 2015 models shows "NA" for the king bed option in a 38GK.

An email to my Lazy Days sales rep who called his factory rep confirmed that all 2015 38GK's will be queen slide-in slide only--no king bed option period.

This is probably a deal killer for me, since we are not giving up a king bed and aren't yet intrigued enough by the other floor plans to trade our 2013 36RE.

More to follow...possibly.

Jpdunc
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #18

The Professor and I have been enjoying our 38GK since mid Sept of 2013. Those who know me....the kitchen is my 'dream come true' for an RV! Double the pantries is #1 "I'm sold" point. But, there is so much more. The one piece kitchen sink is something I do enjoy using. With the residential refrigerator (love the extra space) & dishwasher....I am in heaven!! We have enjoyed the buffet area of the dining table so much.

I have to tell you... we had our couch removed...there is only two of us so we use the recliners for TV watching. The back area is now my desk/office area. I so love parking the rig and getting to look out at a new world each time we relocate. Today, I get to look out at a duck filled pond here at our campground ...right outside of Hattiesburg, MS. as I do my office work.

For the walk-thru bath....not a problem with privacy. We do love this layout. I am so glad that his time in the toilet area no longer effects my ability to go shower...or do laundry...or anything else!! :-) Having two sinks (extra one in bedroom which is mine) YEA!!...we now have separate areas for each of us... me/makeup and him/shaving. MY MOST FAVORITE thing about our bedroom is the slide-in-slide.....we now have room to dance at the foot of the bed!!! YEA!! :-)

Can it get any better that this??? Life is great with our Redwood 38GK!

Lady E
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEcooper View Post
The Professor and I have been enjoying our 38GK since mid Sept of 2013. Those who know me....the kitchen is my 'dream come true' for an RV! Double the pantries is #1 "I'm sold" point. But, there is so much more. The one piece kitchen sink is something I do enjoy using. With the residential refrigerator (love the extra space) & dishwasher....I am in heaven!! We have enjoyed the buffet area of the dining table so much.

I have to tell you... we had our couch removed...there is only two of us so we use the recliners for TV watching. The back area is now my desk/office area. I so love parking the rig and getting to look out at a new world each time we relocate. Today, I get to look out at a duck filled pond here at our campground ...right outside of Hattiesburg, MS. as I do my office work.

For the walk-thru bath....not a problem with privacy. We do love this layout. I am so glad that his time in the toilet area no longer effects my ability to go shower...or do laundry...or anything else!! :-) Having two sinks (extra one in bedroom which is mine) YEA!!...we now have separate areas for each of us... me/makeup and him/shaving. MY MOST FAVORITE thing about our bedroom is the slide-in-slide.....we now have room to dance at the foot of the bed!!! YEA!! :-)

Can it get any better that this??? Life is great with our Redwood 38GK!

Lady E

Hey Lady ECooper

you're in one of my stomping grounds! We have a magazine in Hattiesburg and have camped down there myself. Be on the look out for the local Healthy Cells Magazine.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #20

Hey Dave&Genny,

Wow, that's great. It certainly is nice in this area. We've been in this location about 10 days for training. Now it's time for us to head on to Texas tomorrow. We start a brand new week of RV Maintenance on Monday morning near Kerrville in a campground there. The next 3 weeks at 3 different parks. www.rvtechcourse.com

Look forward to seeing you both at the RW Rally in August.

Lady E Cooper
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote