Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Redwood not wired for satellite

No sure, but my Dealer says RV BEDROOM TV not wired in 36FL for satalitle. THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED, $600.00 to wire.
I think I got a JOB.

HerbEdited by: RifRaff
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Direct TV has a new set up that allows you to connect multiple TVs with one or two cables. There has been multiple posts on this forum related to this subject. Recommend you search this forum as I believe you will find a solution that will save you $600
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

I would find it hard to believe that Redwood didn't run satellite to the bedroom on the FL, when they did every other model. If you have 2 coax on the roof, I suspect the bedroom is wired.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Just got home from dropping our 36RL at dealers for satellite work. The only way we could get satellite to work (on tripod outside) was to run a wire directly from dish to receiver through front door. Once we got service my husband tried every configuration he could but never got a signal again through their wiring.

They are suppose to set it up so we can just flip a switch to change from air/satillite/cable. Which ever we need. Somehow a switch to the blueray player is suppose to be available too.

They are also suppose to install the second receiver in the bedroom for that tv & the outside tv.

The only station we could get at campground was Alabama public tv. Got old fast!!Edited by: genietay
genietay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Missing 3way switch on ours.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

Our 36FL was wired in the bed room. When Direct Tv came out to install we saw that it had been wired but he couldn’t get a signal through to any room. What he found was that when they installed the cable the factory did not take the time to properly make up the connections and what it was doing is grounding out the the signal wire. Once this was figured out it took about 45 min’s to find all the connections front to back and change them out. We then had perfect signal front to back in all rooms.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Above your bedroom TV there is a power booster switch. Turn it off. No green led ligth. Switch to whatever you setup your satellite to. Rerun your setup and you should be good to go.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #9

Same here.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #10

No antenna will work. No Cable or Satalite
Old 08-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #11

I'll chk.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #12

Bedroom on EARLY 2012 36 FL's( vin's under R001800) were not wired for cable or satellite only antenna. Guess where that info came from. So being a Electromechanical ENGINEERING TECH WITH 30+ years! In repair and design I will be doing some wiring.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

My 2013 Redwood 36RL does have the bedroom coax installed for satellite. I personally installed the DirectTV Wingard SWM 3 system.

The roof and internal wiring took about four hours. The Wingard instructions were spot on. I used the coax wiring diagram available from various Redwood forms (I also have a copy) for connections. All the coax was in place and hook up was about as easy as plugging in a coffee pot.

My disclaimer is that I am an retired electrical engineer with extensive electronic experience however I believe if one has the Redwood 36RL coax diagram, follows the satellite installation instructions all should go well.

The 36 RL roof (near the rear A/C) does contain two coax connections for satelllite which are capped to protect from the elements. I only required one as the Wingard SWM 3, for DirectTV operates from one coax to three satellites. I did drill one hole in the roof, near the bedroom TV upper storage cabinet to route the satellite power cable to the internal power adapter. Wingard suppllies an entry cap for this cable and makes the installation look great and provides an excellent seal from the elements.

A good chunk of my time was reviewing the coax diagram, reading instructions and moving tools and the satellite hardware to the roof, sealing screw holes and using self leveling RV roof sealant from Camping World. Everything operated as advertised!!

I selected the DirectTV SWM 3 for my Redwood due to the one down coax from the antenna and then had the same electronics installed at home by DirectTV. When I go RV'ing I take the satellite receiver, a second receiver and various power adapters with me to my Redwood. In less time then it takes for the antenna to locate the satellites I can have the units/hardware from home plugged in and ready.

There are three different coax cabling systems in my Redwood 36RL. They are color coded black for OTA (over the air such as from a roof top TV antenna), orange for satellite and gray for incoming cable TV from a camp ground connection. It is important to use the correct ones. When using incoming cable TV (gray coax) the antenna amplifier supplied with the roof top OTA antenna must be turned off per the note on the Redwood 36RL coax wiring diagram.

I did use the optional roof mounting plate from Wingard to protect the roof which also made the installation very easy. Hope this is some help.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

We also have DirecTV and an wingard satellite. Do you receive local channels and if so was there an additional subscription/cost involved?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

Most of your Direct TV packages include the locals. However when you move out of your area, you have to call and have your locals changed to the new place since each footprint from the satellite for the locals only covers a certain area. Unless we are staying in an area for an extended time we don't worry about changing the local since we can usually pick up some or all of them with the over the air antenna.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #16

There is no additional DirectTV charges. Over the air is also free.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #17

Just changed our address today with DirectTV and the local channels were added while I was still finishing my call with the support person. No additional charges. I did provide the with feedback on how they could further streamline the process for mobile users by allowing us to make the address changes online in our account.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #18

2012 36RL Redwood For Sale. Includes 2001 Chev Silverado 2500 HD W/Duramax and Allison transmission long bed w/hitch. Ready to go. Both togeather $78,000.00.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #19

Is the Power booster switch visible? I've looked above our 36FL Bedroom TV and I can't find a switch. Help much appreciated as Directv coming on Saturday.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #20

Just a word of caution. The DirecTV guy used our antenna wire to connect the SWM system in our 36RL. It works fine but now we don't have access to local channels picked up by the antenna. Make sure they don't use your antenna wire to connect the dish. Our unit is wired for satellite so the DirecTV guy will be visiting again soon to undo what he did.