Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Redwood/Crossroads stepping up!

When I had concerns that Redwood/Crossroads would not do the right thing with my prior warranty repair issues I documented my experience on this forum and after jumping through some hoops Redwood said they would fix my problems at the Service Center. I then said that I would keep everyone posted on the results. Here is what has taken place so far: Last Wednesday a dispatch picked up my Redwood and took it to the Service Center. I was contacted by the driver that my coach had been delivered to the Service Center Thursday morning safe and sound. It was scheduled to go in to the center on May 27th. I was contacted today by Rick Drinkwine and informed that the coach is in the service center now but they do not have a key to get into the coach. I was told by the dispatch driver that the factory service center would have the keys needed so he did not want a key from me. NOT TRUE! They do not have a key to the deadbolt. I have overnited the key to Rick Drinkwine . That's the status for now but I will keep you posted. I will be driving to Indiana when the repairs are complete to pick it up and approve the repairs. I hope I can meet some of the outstanding techs while I'm there and also hope I can get a tour of the factory.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Good news, I hope everything needing repair is taken care of...with little intervention on your part!
Thanks for the heads-up on keys, good to know.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Rick, sorry for the misinformation regarding the key. It sounds like they are making a effort to take care of you.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
Rick, sorry for the misinformation regarding the key. It sounds like they are making a effort to take care of you.
Yes, I feel good about this and I feel very confident that what is done will be far superior than what I had done at a certain Crossroads Dealer. That was a nightmare I wish never happened. I have heard great things from others on this forum about the quality of work they put out at the Service Center. I'm hoping that will be the case once again.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Even thought the same key will open both locks on the door, the deadbolt lock doesn't work with the master keys. For this reason, while camping, that's the only lock I use
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #6

Rick, I just know from a service standpoint when you are trying to make things better; everything that can go wrong - goes wrong. I have had customers I'm breaking my butt to help or fix a problem and suddenly something that never or rarely is a problem becomes a problem. Everything gets sideways and multiplied.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Even thought the same key will open both locks on the door, the deadbolt lock doesn't work with the master keys. For this reason, while camping, that's the only lock I use
Dave, I do the same thing. I would've been happy to give the transport driver the key but he insisted that the service center would have one. I wish Redwood would have sent me some directives in advance. Well, we live and we learn.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
Rick, I just know from a service standpoint when you are trying to make things better; everything that can go wrong - goes wrong. I have had customers I'm breaking my butt to help or fix a problem and suddenly something that never or rarely is a problem becomes a problem. Everything gets sideways and multiplied.
Jay D., let's hope that none of this sideways stuff happens with the Service Center. If we can't have faith in them, what alternatives would there be?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Site Team

I dropped my trailer off at the service center in a snow storm last December. I got about 15 miles down the road when I realized I had the keys to the trailer in my pocket. I called the service center, they at first said they didn't need the keys but when I told them it was dead bolted, I had to turn around. Thankfully I didn't get too far.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I dropped my trailer off at the service center in a snow storm last December. I got about 15 miles down the road when I realized I had the keys to the trailer in my pocket. I called the service center, they at first said they didn't need the keys but when I told them it was dead bolted, I had to turn around. Thankfully I didn't get too far.
I workkamped with a guy that hauls rv's for a living and he always told me that he can get into any trailer unless it is deadbolted. I should've known that they needed the key but he insisted that the manufacturers can get into them. It is nice to know that the deadbolt does make your RV fairly secure. I always deadbolt my door when I leave and when I go to bed.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #11

Same info from our dealer when we left it for service, they have keys ecept deadbolt.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

The deadbolt is the only one we use on both doors when we go out and at night.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #13

If they can open the one, why not the deadbolt? They use the same key.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I agree. I have a lock system that is powered through contacts on bottom side of door (hinge side). I have a key fob and a key which both operate the dead bolt. This set up has worked well for me for nearly 3 years.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #15

"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger..."
OK, but just how strong do we need to be? :-)
Hope to hear a happy ending to this story! Good luck!
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

I sent a list of items that needed to be repaired or looked at and I requested that the center take care of any Technical Service Bulletins if any. Another item I want them to look at is why the battery shutoff does not disconnect all power sources. What good is a "shutoff" if it doesn't shut it off? My new Interstate battery will drain down within a week with the battery turned off.........not good. The major items that need to be repaired are the botched dealer repairs shown in the pics I posted in the photos section of this forum. I'm not sure if the roof membrane on the 2 slides will have to be replaced or just re-glued. Also the upper "D" seals will need to be removed, reinstalled and re-caulked properly. The slides are improperly adjusted. 2 different dealers were unable to get that right. I don't want to make this sound like my coach is in deplorable condition because it is not. All the items I tried to get repaired should have been a minor problem for an experienced tech, someone who is apparently hard to find. I really feel confident that the Service Center will fix these items correctly.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I'm not a locksmith, but as I understand, even though our keys are the same their master key is not. I would imagine the deadbolt has an additional tumbler that is reasonably unique, that is not used in the standard lock.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I sent a list of items that needed to be repaired or looked at and I requested that the center take care of any Technical Service Bulletins if any. Another item I want them to look at is why the battery shutoff does not disconnect all power sources. What good is a "shutoff" if it doesn't shut it off? My new Interstate battery will drain down within a week with the battery turned off.........not good. The major items that need to be repaired are the botched dealer repairs shown in the pics I posted in the photos section of this forum. I'm not sure if the roof membrane on the 2 slides will have to be replaced or just re-glued. Also the upper "D" seals will need to be removed, reinstalled and re-caulked properly. The slides are improperly adjusted. 2 different dealers were unable to get that right. I don't want to make this sound like my coach is in deplorable condition because it is not. All the items I tried to get repaired should have been a minor problem for an experienced tech, someone who is apparently hard to find. I really feel confident that the Service Center will fix these items correctly.

I have 2 interstate group 29 batteries and I can leave my rv for 3 weeks without loosing all power. You have a power drain somewhere.

On a side note....after looking at the batteries, I discovered one of the connectors was broken and I had to replace it. So look yours over.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #19

Dave, do you mean the actual battery connections? Or are you talking about another electrical connector in the battery compartment? My prior fifth wheel was a HitchHiker and I could turn off the battery, leave the coach in storage and come back a month later and not have any drain at all. Based on what people on this forum are saying, apparently Redwood wires the cutoff somehow to allow power to certain items. I've debated on placing an additional blade switch on the negative side of the battery, but the cutoff switch they use should do the same thing. I will look closer but figured since it was going to be in the shop anyway, maybe they could give me advice as to why there would need to be power for something when in storage and if it's not needed then rewire the switch to shut everything off.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Site Team

It was the battery connector that was broke on mine between the 2 batteries. My landing gear will still operate with the shut off turned to the off position and the gas sensor. The gas sensor can be a real hog of power.