Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
It was the battery connector that was broke on mine between the 2 batteries. My landing gear will still operate with the shut off turned to the off position and the gas sensor. The gas sensor can be a real hog of power.
Do you know if it is a necessity to have power to the landing gear when the battery is shut off. Is it a safety thing or is power necessary to keep the landing gear in an extended position. I don't see a need to have the gas detector drawing power in storage either. I know my hitchhiker never had the gas detector operating when the switch was off. If it wasn't so difficult to get to the battery, I would just disconnect the negative side of battery when in storage for several weeks but the battery is in a difficult place, not to mention that you have to be on your knees to service it, not something these knees take easily.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
Site Team

At last years rally, I told the folks at the factory that those batteries had to be moved. The advertise this for the seniors yet they put the batteries where seniors can't service them. I really don't know the answers to your other questions but something is wrong if your batteries are being drained within a few weeks.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #23

Thanks Dave, I agree, something is not right, hopefully the service center will resolve. I remember telling Tom Montegue that if Redwood was truly trying to provide a coach for Baby Boomers then the battery should be relocated. The other senior issue I have is that I have to get on my knees, and reach under the side of the coach to hook up my sewer line. Apparently when they eliminated the boom they kept the sewer drain in the same location. I plan on cutting the end and extending it myself but it seems like such an easy fix for the factory. Many times we are on a gravel site.....ouch on the knees!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #24

Oddly enough, my gas sensor goes off with the master switch.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Do you know if it is a necessity to have power to the landing gear when the battery is shut off. Is it a safety thing or is power necessary to keep the landing gear in an extended position. I don't see a need to have the gas detector drawing power in storage either. I know my hitchhiker never had the gas detector operating when the switch was off. If it wasn't so difficult to get to the battery, I would just disconnect the negative side of battery when in storage for several weeks but the battery is in a difficult place, not to mention that you have to be on your knees to service it, not something these knees take easily.
You'll find lots of discussion on this on the forum if you do a search. It appears that the power stays connected to some things as a safety precaution. Specifically, the Schwintek electric slide motors have to have power to them to stay locked in position (like a brake). I was told there is danger of the bedroom slide flying out when you go around a hard turn if the slides were not powered.

Several of us have rewired the disconnect to truly isolate the batteries and then there is no electrical draw. I don't want the hydraulics (level up and slides) powered when the unit is in storage. Always a chance someone gets smart and plays with the leveling system because the little door lock is hardly a deterrent to mischief. And it's hard to hook up and drive away without turning the batteries on since you can't use the level up without switching the batteries on.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #26

I can't imagine going around a corner and having you slide open on you because I have always been told that the battery must be on for your emergency brake cable to work properly on the coach brakes. I've always been concerned also about the level up system since it would be easy for someone to get the little door open. I would definitely rather have everything off when the shutoff switch is turned off then to have my battery drain. With a low battery it's possible to cause harm to the level up system according to Lippert.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #27

I did get word today that they have received my key for the door. Things should start happening soon.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #28

Rick, that is a pretty big deal that they are making an attempt to keep you informed. That is a good sign. I am in customer service; that goes a long way towards healing customer relations.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
Rick, that is a pretty big deal that they are making an attempt to keep you informed. That is a good sign. I am in customer service; that goes a long way towards healing customer relations.
Jay D, hopefully the communications will continue. I asked Rick Drinkwine if I would hear from the Service Center Manager about my list of issues and he said if there was a question I would hear from someone. I can tell you that I will not make that 900 mile drive to pick it up until I'm convinced on the phone that they have completed the needed repairs.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #30

Just wanted to give an update on status. Talked to Rick Drinkwine and Service Center Manager this morning. It seems that the coach will be done today. I'm still checking to make sure all the issues have been addressed but it appears that the roof membrane on my 2 slides has been completely replaced and new t-moulding and eternabond tape applied. Also, the "d" bulb seals have been replaced and caulked with black caulking and I was assured I will be very pleased with the outcome. I am starting to feel really good about this and am looking forward to getting the coach back home.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update on status. Talked to Rick Drinkwine and Service Center Manager this morning. It seems that the coach will be done today. I'm still checking to make sure all the issues have been addressed but it appears that the roof membrane on my 2 slides has been completely replaced and new t-moulding and eternabond tape applied. Also, the "d" bulb seals have been replaced and caulked with black caulking and I was assured I will be very pleased with the outcome. I am starting to feel really good about this and am looking forward to getting the coach back home.
I'm glade things are coming together for you
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #32

Great news!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #33

SWEET That is great news Rick.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
Traveling

Even more good response from Redwood. I see a trend...
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #35

We can hardly wait for the trip to the Service Center to pick it up. It's almost as exciting as the original trip to the dealer to pick up our new 31SL. Not only does it look like they have addressed my concerns, but they accomplished it a week early!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #36

Sweet!! Very good news.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #37

Got the e-mail from Rick Drinkwine that our coach is completed. We plan on being there the 2nd of June to pick it up and spend several nights at Shipshewana South to experience the area and go to their local Flea Market. Then head back to Louisiana until we can break away again in August or September. As much as we want to attend the Rally, it looks like things back home may prevent us from doing so. I'm sure fun will be had by all who attend!! Once we pick it up we will post on our thoughts.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #38
Traveling

Such great news! We can't wait to hear how it comes out! Good luck!!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Got the e-mail from Rick Drinkwine that our coach is completed. We plan on being there the 2nd of June to pick it up and spend several nights at Shipshewana South to experience the area and go to their local Flea Market. Then head back to Louisiana until we can break away again in August or September. As much as we want to attend the Rally, it looks like things back home may prevent us from doing so. I'm sure fun will be had by all who attend!! Once we pick it up we will post on our thoughts.

While you're up there.....arrange a tour of the factory
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
While you're up there.....arrange a tour of the factory
Do you know if I have to arrange that ahead of time or can I do that when I get there?