Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Hello everyone. First time poster. My SO and I are looking into our first RV purchase here in the next 3-6 months. I've been looking hard at Redwood, but i have read on a few sites that diss their construction. Since we'd be FT in the RV, i want something well constructed that can handle the temperature variations of the season. We have seen several models and love what we have seen so far. If you have anything you can reference me too for comparison sakes on the construction side, I would greatly appreciate it. Safe travels to all...

Mark

cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Mark,

Check out the brochure on Redwood's web site. We own a RW34SK which is no longer in production. My wife and I are pleased so far with the construction and the fact it is a four season unit. ALL RV manufacturers have problems especially with production ramping up due to demand. My advice is to select a great dealer along with the rig so you have good warranty service. I must say Redwood has stood behind their product very well. Happy hunting!!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

We have a '12 36RL that we've been in since last July. We are full timers and have been for over 10 years. We started out in a 36' Montana Big Sky. We than had a Carriage Carri-lite and than got the Redwood. I would have to say the Carriage was better constructed than the Montana, and the Redwood is as good or better than the Carriage. We had a few minor problems that had to be corrected, but nothing serious. We usually spend the summers in SD, and are currently in South Texas. I wouldn't want to spend a SD winter in any RV, but before we left we had some nights below freezing and stayed nice and warm. Only time will tell as to how well it will hold up, but as of now, I would have to give Redwood a high rating.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Roger,

The reason the Redwood is better than Carriage is Redwood brought Carriage personnel to Redwood to design and build what we now use. Many of the compliants on Carriage have been addressed by Redwood. I agree we have a great unit.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Camerdude58

Mark, you have a dealer in Kyle and Boerne and there is one in Canton Take time visit all 3 and get a good price they aren't always close in $ most just don't really like to deal ( David Leflore in Canton is great to deal with in Canton). Explore USA . If there is anyway you can make a trip to the factory for a tour I suggest you take one and their are other factories in the area check them out as well...You might find the quality this way.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

I have a 2013 36RL and am also a full timer currently in the great frozen state of MN. Temps have dropped down to -9 degrees and so far and the coach has done very well. I did winterize the coach as the park provides onsite showers and laundry facilities.I leave my furnace set at 60 degrees during the day when I am at work and when I return at night, I turn on 3 small space heaters. With the outside temp at -9, the 3 small heaters were able to keep the inside of my coach a toasty 71 degrees. Granted the floors were chilly, but the ambient temp was comfortable. I do not have any form of additional insulation or skirting on the coach - it is 100% as it came from the factory. Using this method of heating the coach, I average about 10 gallons of propane usage a week. I've had 3 Montana 5th wheels prior to my Redwood and I have been very happy with the build and quality the Redwood offers. The only major issue I have experienced on my coach is the shower surround was leaking this fall. My dealer has installed the updated drip pan/trim around the bottom of the shower surround and that has seemed to solve the issue. It is of my opinion, but if my Redwood can hold up to the subzero Minnesota winters, I'd say that it is a well built coach and would recommend anyone looking for a full-time coach to take a serious look at Redwood.

Edited by: Enroute
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Mark, don't be concerned by some of those negative post you've seen on other Forums. There seems to be a handfull of naysayers that jump on every chance they can to cut down Redwoods and I'm sure they've never seen one or really wish they had one. I recently read a post that was trying to claim that the RW Frame was thinner than a credit card, who in their right mind would even try and make a statement like that. We as many others moved up from a Montana, we loved it but wanted more room and more creature comforts. If you happen to look into the new Montanas you will find many of the features of an RW now being added to Montanas, think Keystone is trying to play catch-up. We've been in our 36RL since we picked it up at the end of April. Like others we had a few problems, but so far nothing we couldn't take care of our selves with parts supplied by RW
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be sure to do due diligence and try to take a tour if at all possible. Happy travels..

cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #9

Quality control issues

We bought a 340RL in March and have had several issues. Cabinet shelf had come undone on 2 cabinets, closet wardrobe collapsed (it was held in with short staples and didn't hit one stud) I fireplace surround came uneven, ceiling panel over dining area came undone, 2 pieces of side molding one the exterior has come loose, water filter leaks. It's really too bad that they don't have good quality control. I haven't contacted them yet as we just got back from a 2 week RV vacation.
FordF350 is offline   Reply With Quote