Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Traveling

Question About Ordering New RW

Hi All; We ordered our new 38RL in the first week of March. Just curious about how long before we should get any feedback from the factory on an expected completion date. Those of you who ordered, how long before you got any idea on when it would be done? We are trying to plan, and understand it will take about 8-10 weeks (according to the dealership) but I feel that once it's in production they should be able to get a little bit closer to the actual date than that. I asked our salesperson the other day to send us a status update on our coach, and he said he had no way of doing that. I just wanted to make sure that they HAD in fact, ordered it! Thanks!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

I got my first status when I got the VIN number and shortly thereafter that it went to the paint shop. It seemed they could track it pretty well at that point, at least until it went to transport. At transport it can be staged for a while if they are short on drivers.

Ours was only 6 weeks, but I was told that when we ordered it by the Rep because they picked one already in progress.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Traveling

Thanks Adam. Sounds like I shouldn't expect much until it's about done... although it seems like I remember the paint shop takes 3 weeks so that means from the estimated completion, that puts us at around mid to late April. We shall see I guess.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

It all depends on production too. We got ours a year ago last week, and it must have been a little slower back then. From everything I hear, Redwood is booming!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

We got our order confirmation February 4th, dealer says it left the production line 10 days ago and we are still waiting for Redwood to transport it to our dealer. No full body paint so no paint shop.

Would expect it next week but neither we or the dealer knows.

It is in the hands of the transportation company apparently.

Looking a lot forward to it anyhow!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

I actually agree with atom ant, and I am very happy Redwood is doing good. I much rather wait a bit to receive a unit from a manufacturer that still is in business and are doing good business. Looking to what happened to SAAB makes no one happy.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

For fulltimers it may not matter, but the later in the spring you get for delivery, the less chance you'll have for it to be drug through the Midwest salt and mag chloride on the roads. I took delivery of a Montana in January once and it was one of the rustiest, squeakiest rigs I ever owned.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Traveling

That's interesting... I hadn't thought about the roads, and you are RIGHT! I don't want that either. I suppose there is a fine line between "Good Busy" (good product=lots of orders) and "Bad Busy" (backed up orders, rush things through, sloppy work). I guess we just have to hope for the best and use our PDI to fullest benefit. I am going to make a service appointment before I even pick it up, because I know there will be problems, there always are. It would be wonderful to have to cancel it because there isn't anything needed. Ha! Not counting on that, for sure. This forum sure helps.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #9

I was notified on March 15th that our coach was going to paint. Not a word since. Dealer put order in on January 20th.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

We ordered our 38FL on Jan 19th @ the Tampa RV show.

Went to the factory in Indiana and saw it on the line about 1/2 built on March 13th. It was scheduled to be completed and head to the quality control area on March 17th.

Spoke with our sales rep @ Lazydays in Tampa last Thursday (4/3) and he indicated our coach is still scheduled to be delivered to them this Thursday (4/10) but the Redwood deliveries are backed up because of the bad weather and limited # of drivers.

Here's the image of a lot of coaches snow bound outside the factory waiting for spring delivery.

IMG_0661.jpg

The sales rep was "hopeful" it would still get to them next week, but I'm not holding my breath as I don't believe it's left the factory yet. I too would rather wait a little longer and not have the coach pulled through salty & muddy roads for its first 1,000 miles or so.

In other news, I have not been very successful communicating with the custom cabinet people at Lazydays. I got 1 quote back, but it had issues and I have yet to receive any updates. I was able to locate one of the shops here in the Nashville area that builds the $1M+ Prevost "Star Busses" and they have been very helpful and responsive. In fact the quote they provided to do some cabinet work as well as install the Dish Satellite & Solar panels has been very reasonable and I have a lot of confidence in their work.

So looks like we'll pick the coach up in Tampa when it finally gets there, pull it back to Nashville to have the up fits done. We'll take some short trips around here to get things setup, then head north to Indiana for the rally.

If any non-critical warrantee issues pop up I might just wait until before the RV rally in August and schedule to go by the factory and have them handle them. It is unlikely Redwood will want an unhappy customer with unresolved warrantee issues at the rally, so I would expect they will deal with any issues for me very quickly and parts won't be an issue being right at the factory (I hope)!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Linda View Post
I was notified on March 15th that our coach was going to paint. Not a word since. Dealer put order in on January 20th.
Steve and Linda, your's has to be close!! unless it is staged at the paint area.

If I saw all those coaches sitting there in the Redwood lot and knew mine was in there, I'd have to be tied to chair to keep from going to get it
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Traveling

looks like we should be expecting later rather than sooner! Thanks again for the great reply.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
Traveling

We ordered 5 weeks ago, and since the factory rep (Vern) said that we should expect 7-8 weeks, and paint takes 3 weeks... seems like I should expect to get a VIN soon, right? Maybe they are running further behind than "Vern" thought... This is like being PREGNANT!! I am starting to look for something to "Happen" Haha... I have nightmares that they forgot to order our coach and it's sitting on some guys desk somewhere... Maybe I better have a beer...
Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #14

We got out VIN number three weeks ago think about a week before it left the production line. Hope that it will be transported from Indiana to our dealer this coming week.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #15
Traveling

We are HUGE Basil Fawlty fans... :-) I'm excited for you, you are so close!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #16

I trust and hope Redwood are not related to O`Reillys building company in any way!

Thanks, love him too! Not really American sense of humor I have learned so you must belong to the few chosen persons with the great high class British taste ;-)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #17
Traveling

Ha Ha! Yes, I agree. I am the "little nest of vipers" and he is "aging, brilliantine stick insect." LOL! I could recite each episode VERBATIM and so could he. Classic Brit. Sometimes I am can be Hyacinth Bucket too...
Old 04-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #18

My biggest fear is that something drastic happened and it is waiting for repairs before it's even completed and ready for shipment. Hope to hear something soon.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #19

Got an email today, our Redwood is supposed to be in tomorrow or Thursday!!! That makes 11+ weeks. Shouldn't be any road salt now.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #20
Traveling

Wooo Hoooo! So excited for you!! Please take lots of pictures and post updates for us poor "window lickers"