Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Quality Controll Issues

After the purchase ofyour redwood? what issues have you had to deal with, because ofthe lack of quality control at the factory and your dealership.

Lillyputz
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Hi, Mr./ Ms.L.

I'm surprised this post has received no replies.

I've been asking around about QC issues with Redwoods after delivery, and have heard from folks who recently received their new RVs.

For example, Iunderstand from a new ownerthat the television bracket was not as securely mounted in the wall as it should be; that a fair amount of the caulking had not been completed properly; that the upper unit of the stackable washer/ dryer had not been secured in the wall...I forget what some of the other items were.

Bottom line is that I have been looking at "Used RV Buying Checklists" to see what to look for when buying a used fifth wheel...and I'll be using those lists to check out the trailer when it arrives from the factory....and before I take it off the dealer lot.

R
Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

...oh...also, I think there was a problem with a drawer and drawer slide not being mounted properly.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

OK, must have missed this when originally posted, so here goes:
Lots of loose hardware, screws and such. Only 80 PSI in tires rated for 110, some Wet Bolts that won't take grease, door latch mis-aligned requireing you to slam it very hard to close, then difficult to open. Most of it is all stupid little things, but shouldn't leave the Factory that way. But on another note, we have a friend who recently bought a 2013 Montana Big Sky and has the same stupid issues, so I guess it's more and industry wide lack of good quality control.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Check paint finish for flaws, look down the sides of the coach, get up on the roof and look at the paint job on the top of the front and rear caps, inspect the roof for "bubbles" and "ripples" (shouldn't be there); make sure your central vac has a bag installed, make sure your water filter has a filter installed; insist the dealer check the camber and balance of the axels and wheels; inspect the furniture for flaws; inspect the counter top for scratches; make sure your ice maker works; make sure all of your tv cables are labeled and all tv connections are working for cable, satellite, and antenna (take a small tv and a direct or dish tv box with you to check those connections without a tv); pour water on shower walls to ensure no leaks are present; check down pipe of toilet to ensure no obstructions (excessive glue or gasket material); work the leveling system; work the generator if you have one; work the dishwasher if you have one; fill and drain the fresh water tank to see if the guage works; go on a short 2 or 3 hour trip and see how it handles and how things stay put in the coach; get underneath the coach and ensure the coverings are intact, no loose panels, wires, etc; turn on AC units for both cooling and heating cycles; make sure your maxair fans work; inspect the wall seams above doors and in walls to ensure they are tight and finished correctly; Look at the alignment of the cabinet doors; Make sure your surround sound system works; turn on the fire place make sure it works/heats; check the battery box and make sure you have 2 batteries, if not get the dealer to install the 2d battery; stay in the coach 2 or 3 days at the dealership or very close by so if you find things they can be corrected on the spot. Finally, HAVE FUN, and enjoy your new coach, we are having a ball. We have put 16K miles on ours and traveled from east to west coast. We have yet to go into a RV park that we have not given at least one tour and normally it is 2 or more during a 2 day stay. Welcome to the Redwood Family.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #6

Outstanding!

This isan amazing list,Mr. ColJDM...and MHS4771. I really appreciate your posting these checklists..so we can be ready upon delivery to check for those things.

I agree that this is an industry-wide thing of manufacture glitches, and not any reason to criticize Redwood.

R
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #7

controll?
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

Well I've had my 2013 36RL for 2 full months today and I am a full timer. I just had my coach to the dealer or a few items: had to have surround sounds system replaced. redwood shipped a new LG unit for that! The glass on the fireplace rattled and drove me nuts - dealer found solution for that. 2 of my roller shades would not work properly - dealer ordered and installed 2 new shades. The only other major thing that drove me nuts was the level up system. No matter what I did, I could not get the system to level the coach accurately. The dealer was able to adjust the sensors and reprogram the entire system. The last issue on this visit was having a new dining room table window installed. The original did not seal correctly so Redwood shipped me a brand new window. While the rest of things was not terribly long, I am glad that everything has been fixed and all components of the coach are working flawless. The only gripe I have with my Redwood is the landing gear/level up system. I hate how it seems to pop all the time - even after the shop bled any possible air out of the fluid lines. Based on the overall quality that my coach was delivered to me, I would say Redwood appears to be doing a nice quality control check prior to shipping the coach to the retail customer.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

We are looking to purchase our first 5er and have come down to about 3 finalist. Redwood is looking to be the winner at this point. We found a 36RL on the lot with all the bells and whistles we could hope for ( Parks and Full-time living pkg). Just want to say the forums here have been so helpful! COLJDM- I copied and pasted your entire list to the iPad for when we go to get our second look at the one we have our eye on.
I also saw somewhere on this site that you can get a list (enter PDI checklist for RV in the search engine) on the Internet. I've already printed mine out.