Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Site Team

Quality control concerns

It's VERY unfortunate that "great quality"and "RV" doesn't seem to be mentioned in the same sentence once an RV leaves a dealership. I've been on several forums of different manufactures and it's all the same stuff. The exception to this rule seems to be the custom made units that they build one at a time.

Air conditioner leaking due to a bad seal? REALLY? Is this some new process that they haven't learned yet? There's so many little items that seem to go unnoticed in the build process of an RV. I'm still waiting for the Japanese to build an RV and push the American manufactures to better quality like they did in the Auto industry back in the late 60's.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

I don't get why a little quality control cannot be applied to the manufacturing of RV's really cant be that hard. Its hard to believe that so many mistakes can go unseen on so many units and that we have learned to except them.

I also hear a lot of bashing on China parts. Once again you get what you pay for even from China. I have been a Importer for many years from China and the goods we get in are as good or better than the products we received in the US. Many years ago we had a choice Import our shut down the business. We chose to start importing. American labor costs kill manufacturing in the US. JMO
Old 03-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

We should have shut down! We gained nothing except sold our souls!

Don't get me started on China! Where do I find new flooring?

American labor doesn't kill manufacturing in the US, Importers do! When you go out and seek barefoot labor to build knockoffs and flood the retail market with it, of course the US manufactures can no longer compete. Greed is always a win, and always for the benefit of the few.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:17 AM   #4

I sure would hate to see someone make a decent wage to manufacture something. NOT!.

Mark
Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #5

Canada is in the same boat.
All our manufacturing packed up and left years ago... but it didn't go to China... it went to USA and Mexico. Gotta love "Free Trade". We still build really good cars at GM in Oshawa and at Ford in Oakville... But we fight for every model and every model year.

Have a pipeline project up here to get our oil out but someone keeps vetoing it.

Walmart imports pickle relish from India... we had to plow under our farms. Peach orchards in Niagara just got dumped last year so stores can bring stuff from overseas. Still make really good wine up here... for now...

The public loves a lower price... politicians love to help out...
Old 03-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

I think the public's need for a lower price is sometimes the marketer's false perception. I would gladly pay the higher price for the better product, but the better products are vanishing because the marketers think we need something cheaper.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

I wish Redwood management would make a business decision to really build a quality rv. I don't know if they would have to change much materials wise. Just some pride, good craftmanship and inspections during the build process. With Excel closing and DRV being sold, it seems like a great time for Redwood or Lifestyle to step up and take the lead for rv's in this price point. It took Honda and Toyota to come here and wake up the American car mfgs before they started building dependable, quality automobiles again. Unfortunately, I don't see Honda or Toyota building rv's.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Site Team

I would be willing to pay double if it ment being assured of good quality. We're back to looking at diesel pushers but I'm still fearful of regret later after paying big bucks.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

Yeah, or least don't charge more for something that's not any better or different than the others.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

Dave, I'd be a little gun shy. Especially after you get all the bugs worked out of your Redwood.The thought of starting all over with the learning process is depressing. It doesn't make any difference how much you spend and what brand you buy.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #11

Nope, I read many of the Tiffin owner posts where they drove their brand new Tiffin from the dealer to Red Bay Alabama to get warranty issues corrected.
Tiffin has great factory service but driving from the directly from the dealer to their plant for warranty repairs does not sound any better than other RV brands.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #12

We thought we wanted a pusher also til visiting with several parked next to us over the last several months I've decided we can't afford the routine maintenance on one ie: $400 oil changes, $2000 air shock. We'll stick with our RW, already got most of the bugs worked out!!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Dave, I'd be a little gun shy. Especially after you get all the bugs worked out of your Redwood.The thought of starting all over with the learning process is depressing. It doesn't make any difference how much you spend and what brand you buy.
Rick

I agree. The redwood is flawless but we've teatered on a motor home before. It seems to be the endless discussion on what fits our needs the most. But in going to a MH its a lot more money. It just scares the hell out of me to spend that much money and the possibility of getting caught with a bad unit. We keep leaning toward the Entegra line and as a whole they seem to have good support.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #14

Entegra Coach is owned by Jayco, a company that builds a good product and takes care of their customers.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #15

Two trailers, three motorhomes (2 Pushers for almost twenty years). The more they cost the more the service goes up. Basically the $800 oil change and service plus $5+ for fuel sorta made me switch my thinking. The redwood is going into its third year of seasonal camping and it fits our present needs. Dave you put on a lot of miles plus you are close to twenty years younger than me. My suggestion is go for it and get a pusher. You have the energy...just get bigger sockets.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #16

I was just talking to a buddy the other day that owns a Tiffin Allegro Bus diesel pusher and he said he can't get above 6 miles to the gallon but then his rig weighs 36000 and he pulls a jeep behind it. Maintenance is expensive.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 AM   #17

Wow, 6 miles per gallon, that is 1/2 the mileage I get with our Truck / Redwood combo.
That could get real expensive if, I mean when the fuel prices go back up again

Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home View Post
Two trailers, three motorhomes (2 Pushers for almost twenty years). The more they cost the more the service goes up. Basically the $800 oil change and service plus $5+ for fuel sorta made me switch my thinking. The redwood is going into its third year of seasonal camping and it fits our present needs. Dave you put on a lot of miles plus you are close to twenty years younger than me. My suggestion is go for it and get a pusher. You have the energy...just get bigger sockets.
Jay, I appreciate the info. I'll change the oil and do the general maintence myself (as long as I can).

I'll have to see what happens....
Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #19

Extended warranties DO work for MH's
just have to keep records of the maint for proof...

only issues I recall on mine (and my buddies) were with the rv portion, as the engine/drive train were usually proven units.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

I had an Rv mechanic over yesturday and he was talking about the problems with rvs today. He works on all of them and they all have the same problems. The suppliers are all the same so the parts are all interchangeable. He deals with the same issues from Prevost to pop ups. There are some components that are built with better quality than others. He was definately not impressed w it h the swintech slides. Said they are junk. That is why most manufactors are doing away with them. He did say that the redwood was built better tHan some of the other high end coaches eg DRV. Carriage etc Th is guy started out in a family rv dealership and now owns a large mobile rv repair company. I learned more about this trailer in 2 hrs than I have living in it for 5 mths.