Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myselfand my partner.We are from Louisiana butworkall over the country - currently in Wyoming. We've had a 30' Cardinal 5'ersince '09, but it's gotten too small for the bothof since weare full timers (most of the time This thing doesn't even have a full wardrobe - what's a girl to do with that??? So, we've been looking for a majority of the last two years for a 38 - 40' unit. Once upon a time, we were set on the Big Horn 3585RL (because it has TWO closets!) Then we saw the same floor plan in theLandmark that was just nicer all the way around - we are not willing to sacrifice full body paint this time around either. I just couldn't pull the trigger because we needed STORAGE. We wanted additional space to put a washer / dryer and a deep freezer without sacrificing my sacred closet space. Toy hauler it is, right? Wrong. I couldn't bear the quality and lack of living space in the units with 12 - 14' garage spaces. Alas, I happened upon the 43' Charleston DRV and the comparable Redwood 38BR. I don't know if it's just me, but I certainly was not impressed enough with the DRV's to spend the kind of money they were asking. I was WAY more WOW'ed by the Redwood.

FINALLY, yesterday we gota chance to drive to Colorado and walk throughthe 38BR - it was love at first sight It has everything I've been wishing for for the last two years but couldn't find! I just knewmy dream was out there somewhere We filled out the build form yesterday and hopefullysending in that deposit to get our baby built (just a few 'what if' scenerios standing in my way)!! I will be happy to join the Redwood family, as I've been 'stalking' this forum for weeks and have very high hopes for our new home

Thank you everyone for thewealth of super information and personal experiences I've found on here. It certainly helped more than anything else with our decision.
kennedys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Site Team

I hope everything goes well with your build and welcome to our small group here. My wife and I are also considering a BR at a future date although we love our RL.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

We are also very interested in the 38BR but we have not been able to do a walk through of one yet. I would LOVE to see one. I keep checking at the dealer near us but they never seem to get one. I don't want to give them our names because I am not going to use them.

My question is: does the room take away a lot of space from the living area or kitchen area? It appears the pantry is smaller than the 36RL.
Also, would two kennels both 2 by 3 feet fit in the backroom comfortably even if we added the small desk on one side?

We love Redwood and when we went to the Richmond VA show last Spring, we sat in the 36RL for 20 minutes talking with the rep. I really want to see the 38BR and can't WAIT to order it and become part of the Redwood family.

BTW, we were TwoMutts on this forum, I screwed up changing the email and now the forum won't let me back into the settings to fix it. So note, don't mess up your email address if editing it on the forum!!

Suzy

TwoMuttsToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

Josh and Niki, congrats on pulling the trigger and joining us! I know you will be pleased. If I could make a recommendation, if you plan on installing a satellite receiver, on your build sheet specify that Redwood install four dedicated coax lines up to the roof as well as the control cable. It will save you a lot of headaches later.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
Josh and Niki, congrats on pulling the trigger and joining us! I know you will be pleased. If I could make a recommendation, if you plan on installing a satellite receiver, on your build sheet specify that Redwood install four dedicated coax lines up to the roof as well as the control cable. It will save you a lot of headaches later.
I wish I would have known about this suggestion back in July when my 36RL was built. The Sat system was wired incorrectly and took my dealership 28 hours of labor to try and get everything figured out and rewired to be able to have 3 separate DirecTV receivers throughout the coach. I also highly suggest notifying Redwood if you plan on having multiple receivers in the coach.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Hi, Suzy!

You do actually lose about 2 feet of 'living space' with the BR. Because of the way the furniture is re-arranged between the two units (they swap the sofa with the entertainment center), I didn't 'feel' the difference while inside of each. The biggest noticabledifference is that the BR has a 68" sofa and the RL has an 80" - and you are right, the pantry on the far left of the kitchen is narrower in the BR.

As for the desk / kennel question: the BR is exactly 4' deep. If arranged properly, a small desk would fit. Or - you could ask Redwood to build a desk in the fashion that the kennels would fit under it? They have REALLY been accomodating with our 'wish list' thus far.

Thank you guys, for the info about the receivers. I will certainly bring it up!
2013 RL
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Our 38 BR comes off production lineon November 5th according to Andy at RW, then off to paint shop. We had them install desk in the BR with overhead cupboards and large rear window. We are getting very excited and can hardly wait for telephone call. DW has already started shopping to stock it with dishes and bedding, she even bought a new pair of linedslippers to wear inside as we don't allow shoes to be worn indoors.
Amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Don't forget the multipule sets of sheets and comforters that WILL be required. Wifey even lined all (ALL) the cupboards and the tops of the washer and dryer with non skid lining material. The liners really keep items in place well traveling and save the interior from scraches. I just installed new 180 degree hinges on our island doors today and what a difference that makes. They were blum hinges and fit into the existing screw holes.

Enjoy your new trailer.

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #9

Hey there! We're in Wyoming too. We bought a 36FL 3 months ago. Well, we just found out they are transferring us so we need to sell if you're interested. We had a generator installed.

Emilyosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Hello All, we just became proud owners of a new 2012 Redwood 38BR. I travel around the country as an engineering consultant in the oil industry. We had a 2006 Montana and had been looking at the Redwoods. We did have an unfortunate accident with our Montana and brought us into the Redwood circle a little sooner. Although we have purchased the RV I have not had time to get to the dealer and take delivery of it yet, just cannot get a break in the action. Looking forward to picking it up, with any luck next week. Have fun.
Mike & Anner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Well, we did it! Not according to plan, but we are now Redwood owners! We were waiting on warmer Wyoming months to order our BR (and for the icy, windy roads to clear up) but we unexpectedly got transferred to the Chicago area. We had to visit our local dealer in Louisiana andpurchase something off of the lotsince we had to be on jobsite within the week.

We ended upwith a RL (no BR'sin stock) with all the bells and whistles. Full body paint,slide in slide, W/D, quartz counters, MCD shades, 4 door fridge. Basically everything we would've ordered in the BR except this one doesn't have a dishwasher. I'm really happy with the unexpected changes Redwood madethis year. The countertops are beautiful, the shades are SO much better than the cloth ones, and the bedroom armoire is an awesome use of space!

Last night was our 5th night (we're full timers) and we ran out of propane. Single digit lows. 14 degrees now.Woke up freezing - the fireplace and electric heat don't seem to be able to keep room above 55 degrees. I plugged in a ceramic heater that's got room temp up to 66. Ordered aBIGbottle to be delivered and set up this afternoon. Also, the park water lines are frozen so we filled the fresh tank yesterday but can't get the water to pump.The pump is on, but no water. Calling Redwood today

Other than that, we're very satisfied. Can't wait to get all the quirks out the system and figure out this learning curve. Ready to enjoy my beautiful home!
2013 RL
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #12

Hooray for you!! We just ordered our FB Monday!!!
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

Congratulations! The only problem with a plan is it never plays out
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #14

I am guessing that with your propane running out, you would have no heat in the garage area. with the water pipes frozen in the campground there is a very good chance that your lines froze up as well.my furnace is what supplies heat to garage area of our BR, there is a two inch flexpipe running from heat vent down into themiddle of our water lines underneath the floor. you can access it by taking the garage panels off. again just a guess.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #15

Future suggestion... only turn on one propane bottle at a time. When you run out, switch to the other one and get the empty one filled. That way you always have a backup.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #16

Congratulations to the new Redwood owners. Hope you will make plans to be with us all that the 2nd Annual 2013 Redwood Rally (there is a separate topic you can read up on the when and where) . We have only been in the family this April will be a year. Welcome!!
TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedys

Well, we did it! Not according to plan, but we are now Redwood owners! We were waiting on warmer Wyoming months to order our BR (and for the icy, windy roads to clear up) but we unexpectedly got transferred to the Chicago area. We had to visit our local dealer in Louisiana andpurchase something off of the lotsince we had to be on jobsite within the week.

We ended upwith a RL (no BR'sin stock) with all the bells and whistles. Full body paint,slide in slide, W/D, quartz counters, MCD shades, 4 door fridge. Basically everything we would've ordered in the BR except this one doesn't have a dishwasher. I'm really happy with the unexpected changes Redwood madethis year. The countertops are beautiful, the shades are SO much better than the cloth ones, and the bedroom armoire is an awesome use of space!

Last night was our 5th night (we're full timers) and we ran out of propane. Single digit lows. 14 degrees now.Woke up freezing - the fireplace and electric heat don't seem to be able to keep room above 55 degrees. I plugged in a ceramic heater that's got room temp up to 66. Ordered aBIGbottle to be delivered and set up this afternoon. Also, the park water lines are frozen so we filled the fresh tank yesterday but can't get the water to pump.The pump is on, but no water. Calling Redwood today

Other than that, we're very satisfied. Can't wait to get all the quirks out the system and figure out this learning curve. Ready to enjoy my beautiful home!
Welcome to the growing family! I'd recommend 2 heaters, one in the basement (yes there is a plug down there) and one in the living space. Then turn your fan control on so the fan runs continuously. This will help keep your pipes from freezing. Was your trailer winterized? if so check the valve by your water pump and make sure it's in the open position.