Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Potential Purchase - 2012 36rl

Correction on the title. On my way this weekend to look at a 2013 36rl. Anything special I should be wary of on the 2013 model? I would have an inspection done, probably by one of the national inspection companies prior to any final deal. Any recommendations on one of those?
Willbetravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbetravlin View Post
Correction on the title. On my way this weekend to look at a 2013 36rl. Anything special I should be wary of on the 2013 model? I would have an inspection done, probably by one of the national inspection companies prior to any final deal. Any recommendations on one of those?
Have a very close look at the roof. These of this year have problems with the roofing losing its bonding. Also look at the caps where it meets the roofing.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
Dan

Quote:
watch out for chinese bearings!!!!

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #4

Check out National Recreational Vehicle Inspectors Association. https://nrvia.org/
They may be able to put you in touch with an inspector in your area. I have no personal experience with them, but they are connected with Workamper.com which I am a member.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #5

1) I would check the tires - Goodyear LT in the 16" or 17.5" are a better choice and the spare.
2) The wheel seals - look inside the rims for signs of grease.
3) The slide out seals, both inside and outside, above and below. Plus those "D" seals.
4) as mentioned above - The Roof material and all seals, seams, roof vents, skylight, a/c shrouds + possible faded fiberglass front and rear caps.
5) Appliances - Refrigerator, stove, microwave, dish washer (if installed) heater, A/C, Generator (if installed), Battery and Inverter/Converter.
6) Look for possible water leaks inside, under sinks, storage bay, carpet near slides, etc...
7) Do they have any repair/maintenance receipts (would be nice) and the owners manuals.
And this is just my short list - don't forget exterior paint, graphics, under belly, carpet, furniture, cabinets, ceiling, lights and switches, electronics (TV, Radio, Speakers, Antenna, TV Booster, etc.)

Maybe a video camera to use during your walkthrough - cause most will only remember 50% of what was said, if that much...

This is just my list, hope it helps!! Good luck and hope to see you back here as the "Owner".
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #6

Thanks to all of you

We passed on the 2013 36rl. Too may problems.
Willbetravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #7

do a quick check with say Good Sam to see if the inspection you are getting done would be acceptable for a report to buy an extended warranty. And what that would cost. Have a good look underneath to see if it has been greased etc.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
We passed on the 2013 36rl. Too may problems.
Curious - did you mean too many problems noted here? or too many problems found on the unit itself?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote