Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Possible Redwood Purchase?

Hello all.
Please bear with me but this a long thread with a bunch of questions for you the experts.

My wife and I have followed this forum for about a year before joining and have enjoyed many of the conversations. We are looking at moving up from our current package ( Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd and FS Wildcat) to a full time truck and trailer to start our retirement on the road for the next few years visiting the U.S. To start we were sad to hear that our truck which we enjoy so much wasn't enough to pull the trailer we want so the search begins.
Truck questions:
Since we have NEVER used the 4 wheel drive unit in our current truck why should I look for one in a newer truck. I figure less parts to maintain and break? Does this change the amount we can tow? We are looking at 2008 and up Chevrolet Silverado 3500hd duallys with the lowest amount of mileage.

The truck question was easy since we kind of know what we like in that arena. As far as the trailer goes we are up in the air on 2 (two) manufacturers. We like the "Lifestyle and Redwood" and have weighed the options on both.
I like the idea that the slides on the Lifestyle are above the wheels which are fully enclosed in case of a possible blowout which in the case of the Redwood would possible take out a big chunk of the side of the unit. I also felt that that interior finish of the Lifestyle seemed solid and very quiet and the cabinets seemed very well made.
Don't get me wrong. When we looked at the Redwood it seemed to flow nicely and we liked the floor plan (36RE) but didn't like the fact that we kept kicking the slide out bump in the kitchen under the stove. We also liked the king slide on the 38RE which gave the bedroom much more room.
So now the discussion starts and we are weighing them both. We will speak with someone in our community that owns a Lifestyle and see how they like there unit and we would like to hear from the forum on the Redwood. Thanks for the time.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

^ On the 4wd question, if you don't use it, don't buy it. 2wd gives you larger towing numbers. Personally, I like 4wd for "just in case" purposes.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find the RV that's right for you. Both of the RVs that you mentioned are great units and I believe they'll both serve you well. As for the Redwood.....I'm looking at getting a new one now and my current one has been towed more than most without any major issues

As for the truck, there's 2 things to consider. #1 You always get the money back on a 4x4 when you sell it. #2 As a RVer, we travel a lot and explore new places. Although I don't use my 4 wheel drive much, there have been times when I've had to go across some soft ground and the extra traction saved me from either tearing up the ground or getting stuck. If I was staying in the south I probably wouldn't worry too much about it but I don't want to worry about where I'm going at which time of year.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

We looked at Lifestyle as well. They are nice coaches. We saw benefits to both.

The slide mechanism you are discussing is because of the different style frame they use.

As far as the 2WD - hard trucks to sell around here, but maybe not so in other regions. They are two monsters, but you will have to adjust for height (adjust hitch and pin box)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.. All very good points. As we get closer to making the BIG decision I believe the nerves kick in full blast. I never in a million years thought the wife would be onboard with a 2 to 3 year journey. For me, I grew up traveling with my family in everthing from a pop-up to a Class C motorhome. Boy have things changed. Any other input is greatly appreciated Im 100% all ears on the good, the bad and the rest.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

As I sit here reading your pros and cons I have my feet pushing up against the slide out floor and have grown quite used to it over the past three years. You'll love the desk because it all goes away with the push of a finger. But if you have loads of "your stuff" on it, it takes a little while. Good luck hunting for your perfect coach and vehicle.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #7

Regarding the truck, for us we had to factory order to get a 4 x 2, as the extra weight of the 4 x 4 reduces your towing weights and payload. We live on the West Coast where snow is rare and we winter down South, and we never go off road.

Therefore, for us a 4x4 isn't required, would reduce our max tow weight and costs more money. Basically determine your requirements and purchase accordingly.

Regarding the coach, every RV has issues, so you need to consider how manufacturers respond to them. Both forums have numerous posts outlining how RW stand-by their product and provide excellent customer service.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Just replaced 4x4 with 4x2. The height of the new 4x4 is prox 2"-3" more than 4x2 creating potential nose high towing and making the climb into the cab more challenging for this old fart!

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #9

Andy,
Your blue truck is a 4X2? I didn't even catch that in the picture.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

Brad - affirmative, if we had a 4 x 4 the max 5th wheel towable weight was reduced to about 15,700 lbs and we would also overload the rear axle. With the current 4 x 2 we are just legal.

In Vancouver we get lots of rain, but rarely snow. When we get snow just means we hang around the house for a day, as it's normally gone the next day. However, most winters we will be down South, so if we get a F350 next, will probably get 4 x 2 again. No point in paying for stuff we don't use. The F450 doesn't have a 4 x 2 option.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
One of the advantages to a four by four is the low range gearing available in the transmission. I would not be able to bring my rig to my house up a 12 percent grade without getting down into low range.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #12

Makes sense Andy. I just sold my hitch to a guy with a F350 dually 4X2 which I have seen a few of, but I'll be quite honest, I have never seen the new SRW Super Duty in a 4X2.

Every once in a great while, I get caught in snow or ice on the passes here. Not that 4X4 is that critical in the snow with a 5er on the back, but I feel better with it.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 AM   #13

We have never had a 4x4 in all our previous tow vehicles, again we do not go off road and liked the higher towing capacity of the 4x2 trucks.
When we bought our current 3500HD 4x4 we thought we would never use it but last year we were at a rally in a grass field that was wet from heavy rains, without the 4x4 on our 3500HD we would have had to be pulled out of the field.
Even with the 4x4 on our 3500HD we have plenty of towing capacity / margin.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #14

Well thank you for all the truck advice. As I see it it was almost spilt down the middle which is good to see. After talking with my better half she did bring up a point and probably sealing the deal. She said, "This will be the last truck you are probably going to get make sure it's the one you want and can do more tan you need 'cause you never know". That being said, I started looking at Kenworth, Freightliner and Volvo semi's.
All joking aside I'm leaning towards the new Silverado 4x4. Thanks all. Now the fun begins looking for the trailer?
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
Well thank you for all the truck advice. As I see it it was almost spilt down the middle which is good to see. After talking with my better half she did bring up a point and probably sealing the deal. She said, "This will be the last truck you are probably going to get make sure it's the one you want and can do more tan you need 'cause you never know". That being said, I started looking at Kenworth, Freightliner and Volvo semi's.
All joking aside I'm leaning towards the new Silverado 4x4. Thanks all. Now the fun begins looking for the trailer?
We are having similar conversations, which is why we will probably be getting a F450, way more than we need, but then we shouldn't need a new vehicle for many years.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #16

Very disappointed with the quality of the finished Redwood product, there factory QC leaves a lot to be desired, we thought we were buying the top of the line product. We have RW31SL14.
Bustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
Site Team

Has the dealer been able to help you? Is there a dealer in the Spartansburg South Carolina area or did you buy somewhere else?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #18

We purchased from a dealer Windish RV in Lakewood, Colorado where our home is, took a new work position in Spartanburg so living in the RV until we decide what we want to do locally.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #19

Are you in Spartanburg now, have you found a dealer near there?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #20

In Spartanburg now yes,