Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Site Team

Pleased with Dealer

Lets start a new thread. Because of the rules of the forum, we can't discuss prices or deals worked but we can shed some light into which dealers treated us fairly. Again this is for the positive results of working with dealer where you either bought your Redwood or gave you good service while on the road.

All dealers have to turn a profit, otherwise they won't be in business the next time we need them. A good deal is when everybody walks away from the deal happy.

We can't really have a thread for bad dealers because there could be too many variables and it will be hard to give the dealer the benefit of self defense.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Team

I bought my unit at Lifestyle RV in Grain Vally, MO. The salesman was "Richie" who was easy to work with. This dealership did a good job with the pdi, arranged for a one night stay at a close by campground and on the following day, fixed all the issues we found. I've never had to take the trailer back to them for service since they are 7 hours from me but they have answered my questions on the phone and have helped resolve issues.

I would use them again
Old 05-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

X2 for Lifestyle RV in Grain Valley. Our salesman is Nate. We spent a LOT of time there, going from model to model, on more than one occasion. Nate gave us space, but checked on us periodically, and answered our questions. When we were ready to sign, there was no pressure to add anything to the deal other than what came with the Redwood.

PDI was good, our tech said he was available all day for us, no rushing.

Closing was quick (cash sale), no hasseles, no pressure.

This is a smallish dealer, family owned, and everyone seems happy to be there and ready and willing to help. They offered to store our coach at no charge until we are ready to take delivery.

No service experience yet, but met several of the service employees and they all are nice.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #4

Thanks Dave, what a great topic!!!

We bought our coach from Southern RV in Jonesboro GA [outside Atlanta]. Our salesman is Brad Walton who is also the owner of the dealership.
We went to the dealer to look at DRV and Brad gladly showed us what he had on the lot. He suggested looking at the Redwoods as an alternative, glad we did!! We started looking at Redwoods about 2 years prior to ordering our coach and worked with Brad the entire time. He never pushed us towards a purchase yet was extremely patient and spent hours with us [time permitting] to make sure we had answers to our questions. When we got close to the time to order we met with Brad to go over options/cost and during this meeting we told him we also wanted to price the coach from another dealer, he actually encouraged us to do so...we did and we went back to Southern RV to make the purchase.
After ordering Brad kept us informed of the progress on the building and delivery of the coach and made sure that it was well prepared for our delivery. The delivery was a great experience, we had a tech greet us at the showroom and took us to the coach which was clean welcoming. Every system was explained and tested and he made sure we were comfortable operating everything.

Subsequent service work has been good, no issues, they keep us informed of progress and have continually keep to their commitment on readiness.

I would go to Southern RV again for future business.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #5

Thanks Dave for starting this thread. It will help in the future should work need to be done. I will opt out of mentioning the dealer I purchased from or another dealer I had warranty issues with as neither was acceptable work. The purchase experience was great and I would go back to the same dealer for additional purchase, but not for warranty work. I, for one, will create a list of "great experiences" from those that post so that I will have options in the future.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Dave - Brilliant idea, could be a great resource for new potential owners.

We purchased from Fraserway RV in Abbotsford, BC. Our salesman was Ryan T and Manager was Dave, the owner's son. We had stopped at a few other dealers, but our Redwood journey started with our visit to Fraserway. At a previous dealer I asked about the driving test required in BC and the salesman's response was to take her out for a drive, get the feel of it then go for the test. Asked the same question to Ryan and he responded he had never been asked that one, so he went to ask the Manager & returned with a brochure from a local driving school. Immediately my opinion was positive.

As soon as DW walked in the RW, I knew it was the one. On reviewing the brochure we noted a FL, so we mentioned our preference for the FL when we intended to purchase in about 8 - 10 months. Ryan mentioned we would have to factory order, as it was unlikely they would bring one in for the lot. Well, 2 weeks later we got a call from him as they had a new 2013 FL arrive. Perfect timing as I was coaching out there on Sunday and could stop in to check it out. The initial response was they were closed that Sunday, immediately followed by no problem, he and a manager would be on site.

On the Sunday we were met by Ryan and Dave, the General Manager (owner's son) who showed us the coach. Wow, great coach and actually had everything we wanted, plus a few extras. I let them know that this is what we were looking for and in 8 - 10 months we will be back. Also asked Dave what he was planning to put it on the lot for, to which I responded ouch. I jokingly said if it doesn't sell and you get down to this range give me a ring. No pressure sales, so we shook hands and off we went.

Got a call from Ryan and Dave the next evening saying they were a new Redwood dealer and desperate to sell their first one. Therefore they could drop to the range I mentioned the previous day. After a couple of minutes, over the phone, we agreed a number. Classic low key negotiation where both parties were happy. In addition, I requested they store it for a year, at no cost. Dave agreed and also offered unlimited in/out privileges. Basically if we wanted to use it for a couple of days to give them a ring before leaving the house and it would be ready in a delivery bay. When finished, bring it back and they move it to a storage area. Note - this is a busy dealer with > 400 coaches on site.

The after sales service has also been excellent from the sales team, shop and service. We are on a 3 month trip outside the country and I delivered them the coach before we left for a satellite system install, microwave repair and some minor warranty issues. They couldn't get parts before we left, so on completion they took the coach to our storage and I will go settle the invoice when I get home. No charge for delivering to storage. Now that is great service.

We will continue to deal with Fraserway and have no hesitation in recommending them to other.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Great idea, Dave ... We're halfway there: we've purchased our coach but have yet to take delivery. No complaints so far, but the way they handle the PDI will tell the story. I'm waiting for delivery of my TV and up fitting of the body, and can take delivery of our RW then. I hope to add a glowing report about our dealer.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Bought my RL from Leo's Vacation World in Gambrils MD. It's about halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis. Long time dealer, family owned. Sales experience was great, dealt with Scott. I had gotten prices from 3 other dealers and was actually getting ready to go to Michigan to buy one when they became Redwood dealers. Called Scott and told him up front that I had prices from other dealers. His comment was "let me see what I can do". They had an RL on the lot that actually had more stuff than the one in MI. He beat the MI dealers price by quite a bit. Service here is good, but a bit slow. Also it's a 65 mile tow for us each way.

Have had all our service work done by Chesaco RV in Joppa, MD. Another long time family owned dealership. Fantastic service dept and technicians, great to deal with. If I change to a Motorhome, it will be from them (Tiffin dealer). I also keep telling them they should get Redwood !
Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #9

We bought our Redwood at Toscano RV in Los Bano CA. We went to the dealer to look at Carriages which they had on the lot. Our sales rep showed us the Carriages and then broke the news to us that they had just gone under about a week prior. He then mentioned that they had just started carrying the Redwood and he thought they we comparable or even a step up. So he showed us the different Redwood models and we soon knew what direction we were going for our purchase. I did all the price negotiations over the phone which only took about a 10-15 min call. I was pleased with our PDI, as the technician remained with us for a good 5 hours. I've had my unit back for warranty service two times and have not had an issue with their workmanship. I believe they contracted out the installation of our satellite dish, as I remember the individual arrived in his own truck. He did struggle with the wiring on the Redwood, which was an issue on earlier Redwood models.

Toscano is about 110 miles South of Sacramento, CA. Because this dealer is in CA you can expect to pay a little more for your rig. I chose to eat the extra costs, as I was really interested in having a service center with-in a couple hour trip. I would use they again. BTW this dealer is the largest Airstream dealer in the US.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #10

We bought our from Stoltfus RV in West Chester Pa. They had the best price, seemed really knowledgable. I dealt with Frank Bailor. My unit came in in the middle of February. We did the PDI and signed he papers. They said they would hold on to the unit until we were ready for it April 1st. We went there a few times prior and loaded up our personal gear. April 1st we went there to pick up our rig. We had some questions about the PDI as nothing was fresh so they gave us another abridged version PDI. There was almost nothing wrong that we could hang our hat on. They bent over backwoods to please us and to make sure we knew and understood our rig. We drove away happy campers pleased with everything we did. We are in the rig about 6 weeks and love it, a couple of little BS problems but nothing to speak of. If I had to do it over I'd buy it again from them it really was a smooth transaction.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Dean & Pam: thanks for helping me regain a useful perspective. Our dealer is about 280 miles away, which is quite a hike measured in East Coast miles with an East Coast mindset. Whenever I worked out west, say in California, I was always amazed at how my mind switched gears to a West Coast mindset. 300 miles ain't nothin' out there - people drive that to go to dinner (at least they did when gas was a buck and the economy boomin'). I've just gotta change my perspective!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

We used to think nothing of driving 1000 mls to the Sonoma Valley just outside San Francisco. One day down, 3 days drinking wine and another day back.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
We used to think nothing of driving 1000 mls to the Sonoma Valley just outside San Francisco. One day down, 3 days drinking wine and another day back.
Same for me ... I did a big year-long project for the UCLA president in 2002-03, and thought nothing of hopping down to LA from Berkeley for a day... But deisel was $1.25 a gallon back then. :-) Back on the East Coast later that year, I'd balk at heading down to the coast from Vermont - hey, that's 250 miles, and two states away! Same distances, same fuel prices. Only my perspective changed. :"-)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #14

We purchased from McGeorge's Rolling Hills RV in Ashland Va (just outside of Richmond).
We looked at 5th wheelers for over 3 years before jumping in. The sales folks there we worked with were Mark (Taz) and Doc. These guys were exceptional and patient. After all, waiting 3 years to make the sale takes a lot of patients.
After looking at what we thought were every make and model on the market, the Redwood stood above the rest. We closed the deal after the Hershey show in 2013 and took delivery in Fed 2014.
We sold the "bricks and sticks" so were very concerned about moving into a unit as full timers. We spent the first two weeks in a campground to work out any kinks and to be sure we understood as much as possible about the unit.
Our return trip to the service department to correct some minor issues went well. We left pleased with the service performed.
The PDI we got was a good one. It was performed by one of the service guys who was involved in the original inspection before we did the PDI. The only thing we missed we the jet washer for the black tank and as it turns out it hasn't worked from day one. We are returning to the area next week to have that repaired and I'm confident it will be corrected.
As was said earlier in the post, a good deal is when both parties walk away happy. Overall, I would say that we were happy with the dealer and (as important) with the Redwood.
I would gladly recommend the dealer to a friend if they were in the market for a unit.
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #15

Bought from ExploreUSA in Canton. Sweet deal, no issues with delivery, and salesman kept us up to date on the whole process. Service guys jumped through hoops to get us going when we had trouble with brakes.

For some reason we lost touch with the salesman - doesn't respond to us anymore, kind of makes me feel like he got what he wanted so we can go eat grass, so I pretty much figure I won't go back there.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #16
S&K

We’ve been looking since 2000 for a 5th wheel; more seriously in the past few years, and I think we’ve seen every make and model there is. Hubby complained that they all started to look the same and couldn’t remember one over the other! However, me with my Spiral notebook in hand that had stored all my internet searches on makes and models that I did want to look at, and the pile of brochures I collected as we went “window shopping” helped to figure out what features were essential and which ones were ‘fluff’.

I hadn’t seen a Redwood online anywhere except in Canton, TX which is a 5 hour drive for us, so that went on the back burner. We accidentally happened to see one in Seguin, TX which is half the distance for us and that is eventually where we (fell in love) purchased it.

We bought it off the lot (trade show) from Explore USA in Seguin, TX although the unit was in Mesquite, TX and they brought it down to the dealership in Seguin. Our sales person; or ‘Ambassador of Fun’ was Kevin Pryor. He loves his job! There weren’t any problems with the sales side of the deal. Any wrinkles were quickly smoothed out.

On the PDI and service side, since we did have some swapping out of things and installing going on before delivery, it was an ‘average to above average’ experience. We still have some issues with the RW, but it isn’t that big of a deal. The overall experience for us wasn’t something we regretted (like buying a vehicle and having to negotiate the price down, like 5 times!) Since we haven’t taken the unit back in for minor issues or fixes, I still feel this dealerships’ service department is something we can be happy with. Communication with them has been outstanding.

We are not ‘full timers’ and probably won’t be; maybe half-timers. I still want quality workmanship and out of all the units I’ve seen, Redwood fit the bill.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #17

Duke & Coco,

Many unknowns from your post. What I think I've learned from what you said is that your dealer has not supported you since you purchased your coach and that you are having issues with Redwood?
Can you give us more details so we can offer you some suggestions with resolving any issues you are having with your dealer and/or with Redwood/Crossroads?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #18

OntheRoad --- Sorry - just went back thru the thread looking for a username of Duke & CoCo?

Atom Ant, I think I spoke to the same salesmen in Canton,
he was great and wanted to help,
but he was basically running out the door when I last spoke to him - found a new job IIRC !

I usually am a very 'up' person, but my dealings have not been very 'up'. (I am the new lillyputz )

We also bought from ExploreUSA but @ one of the Dallas stores...

They are a LARGE dealer that move a lot of inventory from all mfg's...
We were not pleased with MOST of what transpired and still are not - especially now with all the issues with the coach.
but that's another l o n g story...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post

Atom Ant, I think I spoke to the same salesmen in Canton,
he was great and wanted to help,
but he was basically running out the door when I last spoke to him - found a new job IIRC !
John, thanks! Silly me for not thinking of that. I thought he was a lifer there!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Site Team

I moved the post from "Duke and CoCo" to another appropriate thread titled "Problems" This thread was started to promote good dealers so hopefully future buyers will know where to shop for Redwoods.