Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 07:24 PM   #1

New 20213401RL

We recently purchased a new 3401 RL and have had many issues with it, Buyers be ware!! The quality of this unit behind the scenes is unbelievable. Electrical wires just run all over the place, plumbing lines the same , nothing nice and neat about it. Everything one of the water valves connections were loose, and on top of that there are extra holes drilled through the floor for the sewer line that were drill in the wrong location just open to the belly pan. I could go on but it won’t make it better. There’s nothing quality about what I’ve found behind the scenes.. so make SURE you look very close at everything and have a service man remove the removable wall in the cargo area to inspect the Machanical part of the unit before you buy..,
AKBugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #2

AK. that's all good info and really applies to just about any RV you buy, especially in the last couple of years with Covid and people buying RV's like they're going out of style and the Manufacturers pushing their employees to turn out way beyond the normal output of units per day.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:50 AM   #3

And it really doesn't matter what make, model or price!!!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #4

This type of workmanship is just unacceptable to me. No wonder they have so many issues with them. I’m still gonna press this problem with Keystone as for up as I can go.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

I follow many RV sites and groups and somewhere in those groups you will find posts like yours. I’m in NO way saying what the RV industry is doing is acceptable, they have a lot of improving to do. The US automotive industry went through this in the 70’s and 80’s and it took competition from other countries for them to take notice since it directly hit their bottom line. RV’s? Well, people like you, me and everyone else on here just keep buying them. Why should they change? They sell more each year!!

Some things about what you posted in your first post. I’m a home builder. With that said, we have people complain that their electric is run wildly in the attic. “It looks like a rats nest”! It’s this way for a reason. It’s the shortest distance from A to B. Extra wire costs both money and in an RV, weight. Could it have been done neater? Maybe so. Could more thought have been given to runs? Absolutely! I had a run of romex arc through where it crossed a frame member!! I found that after chasing the run down because we lost power to the bedroom plugs. Crazy thing was, they should have kept the run as short as possible but ended up going into the underbelly instead of straight to the first outlet in the circuit. Instead, they bundled all the wires from the breaker box all nice and neat (see where I’m going with this?) and tried to tuck them between the floor and frame. Speaking of short runs, I have extra wire folded up and zip tied because it was sent that way from the 3rd party supplier. Nice job Redwood! Plumbing, not much you can do here unless you add more connections. This would be worse than just A to B.

I assume the missed holes you are talking about are under the kitchen island? This is actually on purpose. This provides air flow to or from the subfloor. That’s your 4 season RV engineering. The heat duct has a hole on the side of it in that area also.

Yes, the craftsmanship in these is far from craftsmanship.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #6

AK,

I don’t want to say your wasting your breath, but…….

The issues that Redwood have are no different then any other price range… Take a jump over to the DRV forums and look at some of the pictures of rear caps flopping in the wind….

The Indiana workforce is a joke ( for the most part ) and they are all trained the same way… Get it done faster, not better…

Last week I was at the dealer with my friend picking up his new Solitude, while there I was admiring a new Riverstone.. The service manager stopped and we chatted, after he realized i was NOT buying the truth came out…. They are the largest return for warranty work than anyone… he says the receiving PDI’s are a joke there is so much listed from the factory …

So, unless you want a Luxe or New Horizons, you will probably get the same workmanship..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #7

And a Luxe will start at $200K plus and require at least a Freight Liner Sport Chassis to pull it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 08-10-2021, 04:00 AM   #8

Well I have owned all types of Rvs over the last 35 or more years and I have never seen anything like this ever. Our last one was a Fleetwood Terry we had for 18yrs and never had as many issues over the 18yrs as I have had in the first month of owning this Redwood. As for as the wiring n plumbing this is just a joke, you never mix plumbing with electrical..The electrical wires are wrapped around the plumbing lines and sewer lines too. The extra hole in the floor is not under the sink but located where the main line goes into the tank, someone doesn’t know how to use a tape measure. And the electrical wires are just laying in a heap with enough extra wires to rewrite the hole unit. Wasted wire and extra weight too. So there you go, thanks for your response, but it’s just unbelievable that they say everything is nicely constructed.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

I'll say this again, when Thor sold out to Crossroads, the quality of the Redwoods, went down, only saying this because i see more problems with the new ones , than with the 2016 and older. and that's when they sold out to Crossroads. (2016)
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #10

Thor is the parent of half the RV Industry, of which Crossroads is a part.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknnell View Post
I'll say this again, when Thor sold out to Crossroads, the quality of the Redwoods, went down, only saying this because i see more problems with the new ones , than with the 2016 and older. and that's when they sold out to Crossroads. (2016)
Thor owns just about every rv manufacturer you could probably name (85%+) with Crossroads being a minor one combined into the Keystone brand. When Thor put Crossroads under the Keystone management was shortly before & ever since CV 19 sprang up & all manufacturers were/are selling faster than building is when the quality started to suffer.
If you'll notice the red flagged disclaimer at the bottom of the page you'll notice that there's NO ONE from Thor, Crossroads, Keystone or any other rv manufacturer reading these forums so to keep repeating what sorry companies Thor, Crossroads or Keystone are will be falling on deaf ears, as most owners are satisfied with their RW.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
And a Luxe will start at $200K plus and require at least a Freight Liner Sport Chassis to pull it.
A future owner over at IRV.com is arguing with the member that post his truck is to light for towing a 25,999lb Luxe. He claims his pin weight to be around 4100lbs . I dont agree with him but its his fat head in the drivers seat...... all the best to him and his one ton.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknnell View Post

I believe you have it backwards. It was Crossroads that sold out to Thor, not the other way around.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #14

My 2016 39mb was the biggest pos I’ve ever owned. As far as the disclaimer are you sure no one from the manufacturer reads any of this? My bet would be someone has come across it at some point. If they don’t read it they should. Maybe they they should come out of their shell and own up to their mistakes.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Eugene_Elder
Ad,
I am also an owner of a Redwood. I'm sorry to hear of your report on new Redwood units. I have been working in the RV industry for over 12 years. Michelle is correct and it is very unfortunate. Please keep in mind, I have only been on the receiving of RVs, NOT the manufacturing side. If you open the bay walls on all but the highest cost RVs like Prevost you will see the same "mess". Some of us have taken the time to clean up some of it in our rigs, as we do other upgrades. You would think they could do just "a little" better job on the routing of electrical and all water systems. I think if they did, WE would have to pay an additional 5-10K more for our vehicles. All of the manufacturers are competing for every dollar. This means they ALL would have to raise their quality level at the same time in order to compete, on a level playing field at comparable price points. It would probably take 3-4 times more labor to make look like high-end vehicles.
Cell - 8054795454
Eugene_Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:28 AM   #16

Not just the new ones. I had to tighten all of the connections on my waterlines, vacuum up a bucket of sawdust from under the floor, reconnect my heat ducts and empty sawdust from these too, connect my washer drain line under the bed - not I didn't say reconnect. Many more items as well. I will note that this is common with all RVs'.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #17

I DO understand. We had 2017 RL and had 150 items that were deficient in 2 years. Final straw was the hydraulic rod gears tried to push room out and room stuck to wall and both rods shoved themselves thru the room outside wall. Cost us $15,000 for 2 year repairs out of pocket that warranty did not cover. We sold and bought a Grand Design. Lost $100,000. Not a happy camper.
Trailer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote