Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 03:08 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to LovinRVlife
Must haves?

I am about to purchase not only my first RV but my first Redwood. Can you give me a list of must haves? I would like to be able to boon-dock and will be purchasing a generator. Can you recommend one? Quite would be good, should I go with the Onan 5500 that I see TH's equipped with?

So far my list is:
Generator - would love recommendations
Surge Protector - would love recommendations
Slide Toppers

Thanks for all the advice and help!

David
LovinRVlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:26 AM   #2

I have had great luck with the Onan's over the years and never any problems. Very quiet and don't think you find a quieter unit.

Slide toppers is a must for us now. We have always had them on our previous rigs but our RW did not come with them. This past year we realized we need them as every time we bring the slides in after a rain the carpet gets soaked. They will be added after the winter.

Steve
Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 AM   #3

Thanks Steve, is there any other must haves that I should be thinking about? I only learned about the importance of a surge protector today from this forum, appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Team

On the truck side - do yourself a very large favor and buy a Dually. Take it from someone who has been there and done that and tried to convince myself the SRW F350 was enough truck .......
The difference in towing and stability between a single wheel and Dually can't even be described. Also, if doing it over, I would have gone F450 in a Ford or a Dodge with the 4.10 and Aisin trans. Not sure what GM offers but I'm sure there is a similar weight capacity.

And, put an airbag system on it. You won't need it for the weight but for controlling the suspension. If you need more info, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Thanks Piper, 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW, believe it or not I got it used with 1800 miles on it! But I saved a ton due to the fact it was a used one. Fortunately I have a close friend has been in the truck business his entire life and he guided me on what I should get and he said the same thing you are saying now.

Take a look at this beauty!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I hope you realize that I really don't like you now !!! LOL

Truck is gorgeous. I won't even ask how you lucked into that.
If you haven't done the hitch yet ~ look seriously at a ComfortRide. I talked to them extensively at Hershey and am going to sell my 25k Reese and get one of theirs. They also make a setup that works with the Ford factory puck system.

Really nice hitch. If you call, ask for Rick and tell him I told you to call.

www.comfortridehitch.com
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Yeah I wont tell you the price as you might really really dislike me then and I am new to the forum haha! Thanks for the info about the hitch I will definitely give Rick a call and tell him you sent me. This is my first rodeo so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Piper.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #8

A real beauty! How dare you taking up two parking spaces?! Get used to it, we do this all the time.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

That's a great looking Truck. I am have been very Happy with ours over the years. been thinking of getting a new one. But I can't see spending the money since ours only has 35k miles on it and runs great.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post
Thanks Piper, 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2015 F-450 Platinum DRW, believe it or not I got it used with 1800 miles on it! But I saved a ton due to the fact it was a used one. Fortunately I have a close friend has been in the truck business his entire life and he guided me on what I should get and he said the same thing you are saying now.

Take a look at this beauty!

That is the best "TAKE THAT!" I've witnessed in a while Vaughan!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post
I am about to purchase not only my first RV but my first Redwood. Can you give me a list of must haves? I would like to be able to boon-dock and will be purchasing a generator. Can you recommend one? Quite would be good, should I go with the Onan 5500 that I see TH's equipped with?

So far my list is:
Generator - would love recommendations
Surge Protector - would love recommendations
Slide Toppers

Thanks for all the advice and help!

David
If you are talking about serious boondocking, the Onans are not the best suited, as they consume tons of fuel. They are great power plants for roadside or light boondocking and the luxury of power just by touching the button. A portable inverter type generator will run forever on a few gallons of gas - something like Honda, Yamaha. Champions are noisy no matter how they try to disguise the specs. (Yamaha 58 db max - Champion 58 db at 23 ft away, etc.)

Surge suppression - I recommend the Progressive Industries built in EMS HW50C

Slide toppers - can't help you there, never had them and probably won't ever.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

Thanks everyone, I love love love the truck! Now I have to find the perfect coach to go behind her! I have learned alot from this forum over the weekend. I really appreciate all the feedback and time you all have taken to help a newbie out.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #13

David,
Here's my 2 cents worth. Regarding the generator, I preferred going with portables for boondocking. I have 2- Honda 2000's. Although the on board has its pluses, (convenience is the big one), I opted for the Honda's. Friends of mine with the on board generator, complain about the great deal of fuel consumption.

I tie the Honda's together with a 6 gallon fuel tank that lasts me for more than a week. The other reason, is that I don't carry the Honda's all the time so it frees up space in the front for storage.

If you plan on boon docking, and don't go with the on board generator, I suggest at least 4 - 6 volt batteries. They give you far more amp hours than equivalent 12volt. In my case, I can run the whole rig overnight with a residential refer, my entertainment center, heated cpap machine and have enough batteries to make a pot of coffee in the morning.

As far as surge protectors, I have an external. I used my gen prep transfer switch to wire a 2nd 50 amp plug in the front of the rig. There are issues wiring the permanent behind the transfer switch, so the external worked best for me.

We had slide toppers on our last rig but opted not to put them on the Redwood. We may have purchased them but we have a slide in slide on the bedroom. There didn't seem to be an good option for the bedroom. I don't miss the noise they make when it's windy.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Team

That is a beautiful truck!!!! Congratulations
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #15

Thanks Ken, I appreciate you sharing your experience. And thanks Dave!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #16

I probably will get the Honda twins eventually, and still keep my 5500 Onan.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Site Team

You're right ~ so much for the advice on trucks that you and I might give LOL

Beautiful truck, it would go great with the red in your rig Not to mention that since its a '15 it has more power than either of ours and a lower gear ratio to boot .... I'm jealous as hell.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
Site Team

The above was meant for Brad, by the way
Old 10-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
Site Team

I carry a 3kw Honda. Little more of a pain to wrestle out of the compartment but only one unit. It will run 1 AC and a couple other things if you're careful. When I hook it up, it gets plugged into the back and attached to the coach with a 15' lock cable. Can't even hear it from inside.

I think I'm going to add a plug in the front like Ken did so that when I need to I can sit it in the truck bed and plug it in.

Have also looked seriously at the generator cabinets that Highwayman tool boxes make for the truck bed ..
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #20

Ken do you mind linking the generators you are talking about?