Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Are the MCD shades a standard on the 2013's or an option? Where can I find a list of all options available? Is there a price listing available?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman
Are the MCD shades a standard on the 2013's or an option? Where can I find a list of all options available? Is there a price listing available?
Any dealer should have this information
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman
Any dealer should have this information

The dealer I have talked to doesn't even know you can get disk brakes or a 2nd awning.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Not sure what MDC shades are. We ordered a 2013 and were told that the 2 shades (regular roller shades like at home -- not the ones with the cords they used to use in rv's) -- one for day and one for night -- are standard. As for dealers knowing -- forget it. I've only found one who either knows the answers or will admit he doesn't know, check with RW and get back to me (promptly, to boot!) and that's Tony Burgess at Lazydays in Tampa. Before I found Tony, I was emailing back and forth with Andy Wesdorf at RW with all my questions (lots of them) He was always helpful and quick to respond (Sorry, Andy -- guess you'll soon be getting questions from others in place of me!). As for available options -- I don't know of any list. They're certainly NOT all on the spec sheet the dealer fills out when you place an order. We just looked at a lot of RW's, read the forum and ASKED. We specified that we wanted the paisley fabric rather than the "tweed" on our dining chairs (saw some on line both ways). Added an ottoman like the one(s) in the FL, added an "end" table between the recliners, and I'm about to ask that the hanging rod in the bedroom be moves further from the doors so we can easily use regular hangers. All the models we've looked at have the rod only 8 or 9 inches from the inside of the closet doors, so even though the closet is 20 or 24 inches deep (more or less), hangers will be diagonal, not perpendicular to the doors and the back wall of the closet like they are at home.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

We ordered the MCDshades on our 2012 36RL and just love them! A definite improvement from the old fashioned string shades. Just a tip... they must be mounted to where the shade comes off the roll on the window side instead of the room side. The night shadewill hug the window and provide that privacy they're designed to give you.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

We were told that the MCD shades are now standard.
Blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

My 2013 36RL came with the roller shades. I have 2 shades that I am having trouble with, but I admit I love how dark the coach is during the day with all the night shades pulled. The dealer is ordering new shades to replace the two I am having trouble with.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute
My 2013 36RL came with the roller shades.Â* I have 2 shades that I am having trouble with, but I admit I love how dark the coach is during the day with all the night shades pulled.Â* The dealer is ordering new shades to replace the two I am having trouble with. Â*Â*
I purchased a 31sl in January and it was equipped with the new shades. My wife and I are not sure we really like them. We envision them all curling on the edges after some use, but they do look nice. The second night in the fifth wheel, we had a shade just fall off the metal rod. I found it on the bedroom dresser with about an inch of really sticky adhesive across the top of the shade. It appears that these shades are glued to the rods. It was a warm day when this happened but no where near as hot as it will be in the summer. I called Redwood and they said they have not noticed a problem such as this. They sent me a new shade immediately. Has anyone else had this problem?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

Not sure what these new shades look like. We have the cloth roman shades that either filter the light or block it all together. Can't imagine I would like a different type. Ofcourse, if my wife liked a different one, so would I. I'm smart like that.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Site Team

The MCD shades are the two separate shades. One completely blocks light and the other filters out light. They retract slowly after a gentle tug. In our opinion they are a great improvement over the day/night shades.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
B&B

We had the same problem, purchased a 36FB in September and in October, a very hot day in Myrtle Beach the bedroom shade came off of the roller. Our dealer sent us a new one and it is now fine. There is one over the chairs which is crooked which we intend to have replaced when we get back north this spring. Many have checked out our RW and everyone loves the shades including us.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy

Not sure what these new shades look like. We have the cloth roman shades that either filter the light or block it all together. Can't imagine I would like a different type. Ofcourse, if my wife liked a different one, so would I. I'm smart like that.
Our shades are the type on rollers and you pull them down, one shade is a brown color which filters the light and the other is a cream color room darkening. When you want to put the shades up you simply pull down and release and they retract slowly by themselves. Higher end 5th wheels are starting to use this type of shade. I really prefer the older pleated type day/night shades myself but I am open to the changes, they just haven't been proven yet.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&B
We had the same problem, purchased a 36FB in September and in October, a very hot day in Myrtle Beach the bedroom shade came off of the roller.Â* Our dealer sent us a new one and it is now fine.Â* There is one over the chairs which is crooked which we intend to have replaced when we get back north this spring.Â* Many have checked out our RW and everyone loves the shades including us.

We were in Texas, the day was sunny, probably in the 70's, not anywhere close to the 100's we'll see in the summer. It appears that the roller is metal and the shade is just glued to the roller, no rivets. We'll have to wait and see if the glue the manufacturer uses will stand up to the warm weather.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

I have a 1 month old buy sheet, and there are no options for the window coverings - they are the roller shades or whatever Redwood decides to go with.

Big selling point for my wife was the roller shades. We are finally leaving those day/night pleated shades behind in our current rig. She hated those. Too hard for her to open, slide off the rail the then tear going back on, and we won't discuss broken strings. Of course we speak from the sideline because we really don't have the new ones yet.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #15

We have the new roller ones.Some roll up faster than others. I did ask our dealer about adjustments. They have one tech that knows how. He said he had to learn on his own. There is an adjustment on either end of the roller.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I have a 1 month old buy sheet, and there are no options for the window coverings - they are the roller shades or whatever Redwood decides to go with.

Big selling point for my wife was the roller shades. We are finally leaving those day/night pleated shades behind in our current rig. She hated those. Too hard for her to open, slide off the rail the then tear going back on, and we won't discuss broken strings. Of course we speak from the sideline because we really don't have the new ones yet.
Our prior 5th wheel had the pleated shades but the original owner had adjusted the strings too tight resulting in great difficulty in raising and lowering the shades. We were unable to loosen the strings because they had cut the excess strings off so my wife restrung every shade and wow!.....we could raise and lower with 1 finger. I'm not saying we won't end up loving the new style but ya know, old people don't like change!!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #17

The roll up shades are the best thing since sliced bread. They do tend to need adjustment from time to time but it isn't hard to do. They adjust the same as the old pull down shades of the 40's and 50's for all of you old enough to remember. Have a tech at your dealer show you how, and bingo you can do your own. Yes there is an adjustment at either end and it's as simple as turning the roller.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99

The roll up shades are the best thing since sliced bread. They do tend to need adjustment from time to time but it isn't hard to do. They adjust the same as the old pull down shades of the 40's and 50's for all of you old enough to remember. Have a tech at your dealer show you how, and bingo you can do your own. Yes there is an adjustment at either end and it's as simple as turning the roller.
You are right, they are easy to adjust and our tech at the dealership showed us how to do it.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

We have the pleated shades in our FB and have had problems with them wrinkling up especially the larger 2 . Our dealer was told to wipe them cleand and apply spray starch and let sit to provide more stifness....Worked well on the smaller one but the 2 larger ones were replaced because they kept wrinkling bad in the center at the top..Hope they work better than the other 2.
Edited by: RollsRoyce
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce

We have the pleated shades in our FB and have had problems with them wrinkling up especially the larger 2 .Our dealer was told to wipe them cleand and apply spray starch and let sit to provide more stifness....Worked well on the smaller one but the 2 larger ones were replaced because they kept wrinkling bad in the center at the top..Hope they work better than the other 2.
I guess it doesn't matter which type of shade is installed, it seems there may be pros and cons with each type. I'm hoping that the new roll down shades turn out to be "the best thing since sliced bread" as stated by another Redwooder!