Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Bottom line RW should have contacted the dealer in turn should have contacted the costomer of the change before it was built.
I agree. However with the disclaimers the use, they've washed their hands of the need to notify. It also saves some sales as some people will be unhappy but take it any how.

Mark
Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Personally, I would never allow a dealer to make that type of a mod for me. Sorry, but my experience with Dealer service departments have left me with the thought that anyone off the street could do a better job. I'm sure there are reputable dealers out there but from what I read here, they are far and few between.
X2 - I wouldn't let anyone do that mod. It either came that way in the design or it didn't. These things have a hard enough time staying together without that kind of a field change.

The door sounds very important to you NikD800. I would refuse accepting this one, tell them to build another, look for an inventory unit that works, or go to SOB.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #23

I know it's cost them at least $100,000 I would never replace my 36FL with the 39FL especially with only one door.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikD800 View Post
I can't imagine how a company that size can pull this kind of switch without some liability. I ordered this unit in July - now if I send it back I have to begin the entire process over again. And my planned retirement gets very complicated. I'm afraid if I compromise with this unit Im going to get angry from time to time living in it every time I walk past where the door should have been. But sending it back jeopardizes everything else I've planned for more than a year. The dealer tells me he's calling the plant Monday to see what can be done. Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to see another option...
This is a very large purchase, I would not compromise! I really believe if Redwood wants your purchase they will figure out a way to make this right with you. We're talking about something you plan on retiring and living in. If it's not what you want now you will be very regretful down the road.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #25

Thanks everyone - The other issue I noticed and I agree I think they did this to save money - the rail that runs behind the large recliner in the living room is metal and very nice in every add or video Ive ever watched in my research. In this unit its a cheap piece of wood with dowels painted black…looks and feels cheap. So the whole thing stinks of cheap at my expense and Im beyond disappointed with Redwood. What else did they shortcut on when they built this unit? I'm waiting to hear what the local dealer hears from the plant in Indiana. If I send it back I have to start the entire process over and change almost everything else in plans to leave here next fall unless I can find another model I really like and an manufacturer I trust. Not very happy at this point but 95 percent convinced to tell them to pound sand and have the local dealer send it back. Its a lot of money and and you said Rick Im just going to resent it down the road.
NikD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
I can't imagine how a company that size can pull this kind of switch without some liability. I ordered this unit in July - now if I send it back I have to begin the entire process over again. And my planned retirement gets very complicated. I'm afraid if I compromise with this unit Im going to get angry from time to time living in it every time I walk past where the door should have been. But sending it back jeopardizes everything else I've planned for more than a year. The dealer tells me he's calling the plant Monday to see what can be done. Keeping my fingers crossed and trying to see another option...
can you dealer or redwood find the one you want on another lot and swap them
Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #27

We were just looking at the Landmarks last week to pass time on a rainy day and they are looking real nice with the quality but didn't dig into any details.
Some very nice floor plans.

Steve
Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #28

The door is frustrating - but if stuff like the material used for the rail is going to put you in a meltdown, I suggest you buy one off the lot, so what you see is what you get.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #29
Site Team

I really think I'd walk away from this deal while you can. It's a shame because I remember the excitement when we ordered ours.

The advantage of ordering a new unit is getting the RV the way that you want it. The bad side of buying whats on the lot is the dreaded "lot rot" and compromise. It sounds like you're being asked to compromise when you shouldn't have to. Not a good deal....walk away.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #30

Thanks Dave- I spent years looking at units all over the country, visiting dealers, talking with owners and after going to the local dealer here in Michigan a dozen or more times I sat down with the sales rep and custom ordered this unit. Not sure why this has to happen as it was the first major step in my transition to retirement and without it everything else is left hanging now until I get it resolved. Im not going to accept something the manufacturer messed up but Im curious to see how much my local dealer is willing to do to correct this. Monday will tell me a lot about what I have to do next. I'm not buying something off a lot under any condition. I know what I want and Ive just learned a huge lesson in how these companies work. What the dealer does in the next day will go a long way in my next decision. Appreciate the input.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #31

The problem, this situation is not a RW problem alone, you could end up ordering a unit from a different MFR and end up in the same situation. But I do agree, the loss of the back door would be a deal breaker for us.
Leaves you in a really bad situation with no easy solution.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #32

I don't know how far up in Michigan you are, and I know you really don't want to buy one off a lot but Tiara rv in Elkhart Indiana has a 39 FL on there lot maybe worth a look and continue on with your retirement dreams.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Dave- I spent years looking at units all over the country, visiting dealers, talking with owners and after going to the local dealer here in Michigan a dozen or more times I sat down with the sales rep and custom ordered this unit. Not sure why this has to happen as it was the first major step in my transition to retirement and without it everything else is left hanging now until I get it resolved. Im not going to accept something the manufacturer messed up but Im curious to see how much my local dealer is willing to do to correct this. Monday will tell me a lot about what I have to do next. I'm not buying something off a lot under any condition. I know what I want and Ive just learned a huge lesson in how these companies work. What the dealer does in the next day will go a long way in my next decision. Appreciate the input.

If you don't feel your dealer is fighting on your behalf, I would walk away from that deal. We purchased our Redwood from Tiara RV in Elkhart, Indiana. I know you are about 350 miles from Elkhart, but, you might want to give them a call to see if they can help. They might even have a Redwood that would fit your needs..........at least worth a try.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #34

Update : My dealer sent back the model the plant sent and told them to find the model I ordered. It arrived over the weekend plus several upgrades I hadn't ordered which Redwood is absorbing the cost of. My dealer had a long talk with them and threatened not to place orders mid summer if they were going to pull that mid season floor plan change in the future. Very pleased with how my salesman handled the matter. Looking forward to moving into the unit in the spring.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #35

That is great news, hopefully we get to see pictures of your new Redwood soon !!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #36

Glad to see your dealer worked it out to your satisfaction! That's what true customer service is all about. Make sure you do an in-depth delivery inspection. Now will be the time to get any needed items corrected, BEFORE you pull it off the dealership lot! Happy trails.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #37

Did a pretty thorough walk thru Saturday… planning another this coming weekend. Everything is there and the dealer is heating it for me so I can do a comfortable investigation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redwood-2.jpg (369.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood-4.jpg (391.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood-6.jpg (438.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood-8.jpg (485.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #38

Beautiful rig! Good luck on your PDI!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #39

Very nice looking Rig (same color scheme outside as our 38FL), glad everything is working out for you !!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Nice rig congrats