Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 04:03 AM   #1

Looking in Purchasing RW 5er

Hello all. New member here. I currently own an older Jayco Designer which suits my needs, But my dad is looking to upgrand his old, tired fleet wood Savanah 5er. He's wanted a Redwood RV since the first time he saw one back in 2013. We spent today looking at new units just to get a feel for them and he really doesn't seem to like them because of the gray interior colors instead of tan/brown. looking at the local classifieds, there is a 2013 38GK in Wyoming about 4 hours from us. The guy is asking 55,000 and the trailer has never been used. Not once. All the brochures/papers for the fridge, microwave, stove, and such are still inside the appliances. Bedding is still bagged up in the closet as well as the other two dining chairs. This one has a dishwasher and all the stuff for that is still in boxes inside it. So from that and the pictures I've seen of it, I buy that it's never been out on a trip. And it's been parked inside his shop from the time he bought it. When I asked why he's never used it he just said his plans had changed and it was time to sell instead of let it sit longer. Seems strange (almost fishy) to me to spend that much on something and never use it but I guess life happens. I've read that Redwood has changed hands a few times lately and qc has been an issue. How do the older units compare to the newer ones? Are they built as well, or better? Issues with leaks or slides? Any other generally common issues with them? Today was the first time I've stepped in one so I have no first hand experience with them. Just want to be informed if we go look at it. And this might not be the question to ask here, but did any of you buy a redwood and switch to something else? Or what other rvs are comparable? Montanas, Solitude, Big Horn?I just don't want him to be stuck on the rw for the "prestige" of having one. His budget is 60k so looking used. Probably 2013 and up unless there's something new in that range that is somewhat comparable. Sorry for the book guys and gals, he just has the new rv fever and I want to help make sure he makes an educated purchase. Thanks.
Katkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

There are good and bad in all of the 5th wheel options you mentioned. We had issues with our Montana and so upgraded to a Redwood. I have heard Grand Design (Solitude) have great customer service--but I think most would put them below a Montana in quality.

We visited with a dealer last year. He knew we were not purchasing, just visiting. He told us out for every 2 Redwoods he gets back with issues, he gets 8 or 9 Montanas with issues. That being said, if I wanted new and had limited $, I would be looking at Montana and Solitude-either one. A used RW that has had all the bugs worked out could be a good deal. I saw a 2015 online earlier today for under $60K.

Checking with current owners is a great way to find out what to look for on a used coach.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I really like the Montana trailers. Probably for the name more than anything but I've always wanted one and when I do upgrade to a newer one, it's on the top of my list. He wasn't too interested in looking at them today but is now opening his eyes to other brands than just rw. Also not opposed to traveling for a good deal. There really just aren't a lot of rws around us. Though I see a bunch of Montanas on the road. What issues did you have with your Montana that made you want to upgrade?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkinson View Post
Thanks for the reply. I really like the Montana trailers. Probably for the name more than anything but I've always wanted one and when I do upgrade to a newer one, it's on the top of my list. He wasn't too interested in looking at them today but is now opening his eyes to other brands than just rw. Also not opposed to traveling for a good deal. There really just aren't a lot of rws around us. Though I see a bunch of Montanas on the road. What issues did you have with your Montana that made you want to upgrade?
Our Montana issues:
* The floor was "soft" in a couple of places. In the bedroom, we were afraid we could potentially go through.
* We had the hatch that went through to the basement for a hamper. That piece of wood had already been replaced, but the carpet around it was fraying.
* The decals on the outside were AWFUL.
* Our door had problems sticking, we thought it might be a frame problem.

There were some things we just didn't like. Because of the frame and floor problems we knew we would eventually want to change 5th wheels. We knew the longer we had it the less we would get for trade in and the higher price something else would be. So, December in Colorado... they were ready to deal.

We did extensive research, so we had narrowed our manufacturers down. Someone told us once, make a list of your "must have" and hold to those. We remembered that and stuck to it. Ours: Needed to feel like home, big basement storage (we travel with a tandem bike that we store in basement, out of the weather), large closet, res. refrigerator, 12" I-Beam frame, Real features: Wood, kitchen and bathroom backsplash, good flooring, Be able to get to the refrigerator and bathroom with the slides completely in.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

We had 2003 and 2007 Montana's, and a 2014 Redwood (manufactured May 2013). I would have to say our 2007 Montana gave us the least trouble of any RV to date, but our 2003 Montana was terrible (frame issues). Our Redwood was my favorite. It was gorgeous, comfortable, automaticized, but still had a few haunts

To baseline - Most heavy 5ers In the last 5 years or so are on the Lippert 12" Z frame with a radius nose and use 2-3" laminated walls with integrated aluminum frame. Montana is, so is Redwood, so structurally no real advantage either way. You wont start seeing higher end structures until you get into hung walls and tube frames such as on the Mobile Suites, but they are heavy.

We went for the Redwood because they were beautiful, and they offered features not available from Montana, even the Big Sky, such as the dishwasher and dual awning. The option set has changed quite a bit from our 2014, but to me the 2013-2015 were some of the best Redwoods built as they were still within the original vision of the folks that started the company. Not saying they are bad now, I just don't know what they are like now.

On the 2013 - check for pull shades or day/night shades. If it has the day/night shades it was actually an early 2013 and probably had the furniture before the upgrade that didn't recline fully. Not a show stopper because you can replace furniture, but I found those to be miserable.

Happy hunting - $60K should put you in a real nice late model Redwood. I think there are a few on here for sale.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Our “16” Redwood has been our most beautiful RV to date, and we have had little to no issues with it . The few smaller issues that came up, the dealer jumped on very quickly.
I would not hesitate to buy again
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

I purchased new and even though I am a price conscious person, it was not the top concern for me. I wanted quality and looks. I looked at virtually every brand and all had good or bad things about them but when I really gave everything the deep inspection, Redwood by far had the best value. AND the full body paint kept bringing me back.

I wound up ordering mine with the options/colors we wanted and waited out the build process (twice but that is another story. Not Redwoods fault).

My friends of 35 years bought a Bighorn. They bought it off the lot because the dealer was blowing out the 17 models.

If I was doing it again, I would either do the same thing with another Redwood or if $ was no factor, consider a Mobile Suites with a very large truck.

What I am saying is that your dad will not regret buying a Redwood if it has been cared for.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I did some looking on rv trader and there are quite a few out there under the 60k mark. Might have to drive a day or 2 but $1000 in fuel is worth saving 10-15k buying one around here. I found a 2013 Redwood Blackwood in Colorado with the front living floor plan we both really like. Are the blackwoods a cheaper Redwood like the sequoia is? If so does anyone know the differences in them?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

The Blackstone was intended to be a stripped down version of the Redwood. I don't think they lasted over a couple years. The Sequoia was actually a midline introduced about 3 years ago and there was another one below that but I don't think it ever went into production.

Look heavily at the features, there are a lot of differences in build and options between those and the Redwood.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing
This is mine & has served us well since new. It's only been parked since mid Oct in storage as we bought a park model & would like to down size the rv & truck.
Any questions please feel free to contact Danny;
drawlings2@gmail.com
817-876-8895
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #11

On second look maybe it's not a Blackwood. Ad says it is but the front of the trailer says redwood not Blackwood. If it was is a bw it would say Blackwood on the cap correct?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #12

I'll show him the ad when I see him. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #13

Here is a video of a non-painted Blackwood

Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #14

It must be a redwood not a Blackwood. Caps and side of trailer say redwood. The ad says it's a redwood Blackwood 36RL but it's a front living so model number is wrong as well. It has the painted exterior and the interior is much nicer that the one in the video.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
Site Team

The ones built up until early 2014 were built with the original GM and shop crew. Those of us that own them refer to them as Tom coaches. Tom Montague who was the GM of Carriage started Redwood. The big thing with the early coaches is make sure you upgrade the suspension. If not to IS then at least do the SRE 3000 and shackles and wetbolt kit.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkinson View Post
It must be a redwood not a Blackwood. Caps and side of trailer say redwood. The ad says it's a redwood Blackwood 36RL but it's a front living so model number is wrong as well. It has the painted exterior and the interior is much nicer that the one in the video.
We have a 2014 Redwood 38FL Front Living coach, been living in it fulltime since we bought it.
Love the layout, features and it just feels like home to us.
After visiting the Tampa RV Super Show last month, we did not find anything we would trade it for.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #17

We have a 2012 36RL full body paint Redwood. We love it, have traveled and stayed in it. Solid, pretty, and functional. We looked around at the shows and resorts we still have not found one we like better.
Time for us to move on in life, selling, look at the classified section of the Redwood forum or call 336 769 1913
under NADA $42,500.00
Peggy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #18

2103 Redwood 36RL

From your comments, it looks like you are in the western part of the US. We are in the Denver, CO area. We own a 2013 Redwood that, although we are totally in love with it, are putting up for sale. Our schedules just don't mesh well enough to allow much camping, and it's just not working out. It's in great shape. I will have it up on the site today. In the meantime, you can check it out on RVT.com, ad #8180890. Or email sbollesrv@gmail.com if you have questions.
Sbolles4 is offline   Reply With Quote