Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #1

Leaning towards a new 38RL

Have done my homework and compared all units I have been able to find. Looking to become a fulltimer this spring. Redwood seems to have the best floor plan in combination with quality in details and I hope a good service after I signed and paid. Looks like redwood really stands up for their warranties. If I understand it correct they offer 2 years on everything and 5 years on frame and axels. Not sure have not read all yet. DRV more expensive but for sure not better in quality of what I can see and feel. Went to the redwood factory but hard to compare all the facts I got when I really don't know what the competitors offers? I think DRV has a heavier frame and sturdier inside and Cedar Creek similar floor plan but less quality in details inside. Like the slide in slide that makes the bedroom larger, like the way the kitchen is designed with the large pantry with drawers on the left, like that they use LG and Samsung (TV/refr), don't like to pay 10,000 for full body paint, Redwood has that as an option.

Don't like the sink, good with one large but prefer stainless. Touched all faucets on all RV;s and they always feel like they are not fastened correctly into the countertop - small details. Not sure if the model ordered now will be a 2014 or 2015 but maybe not so important. Like that I can add disc brakes! not sure if the roof quality is ok DRV fiberglass might be better.

Would prefer leather instead of plastic couch and recliners. But they are loose so not so hard to change later. Like the wood corner from the kitchen to the hall room better than just wallpaper and that can not be changed (36RL has wood) also inside the cabinet on the right side of the entrance door no wood anymore just wallpaper.

Hope that the unit is what I expect - anyone out there with thoughts or experience before I sign?

Like this group, think I read every single post so far!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't be afraid to ask for the sink you want. Redwood has customized these coaches in the past for what you want. For example someone at the rally ordered theirs without carpet. Redwood will work with you and they are a great company I have the 36 RL and we love it. I can only hope you're as happy with yours as we are with ours.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for your quick answer! Sink is not a big deal, just thoughts. Seems that the most important parameters are met. Good solid construction, floor plan that fits and great service afterwards!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

I really like what they did to the 38RL! We would have got that if it was available.

Just a note - I'm not positive the wood stayed around the radius into the hall on the 36RL either. I thought that was a mid-year change, not by model, but I could be wrong. I was disappointed to see it go, because that was on of the first things I felt set the rich redwood interior apart from the rest, combined with the wood staircase and handrail.

Anyway - HAPPY SHOPPING!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Site Team

In my opinion.....order the disk brakes. Also keep in mind that the full body paint really doesn't cost 10k. Build the trailer you want and then work on the discounts.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #6

Ordered ours with no carpet in living area(actually ordered no carpet, but it came in bedroom) & no fireplace. We have good friend that's cabinet builder that built a printer tray for fireplace area & RW furnished the doors. Order how you want it, all they can do is say NO.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #7

X2 on the disc brakes, and if you can, the 8K axles. Not sure they have them anymore.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I really like what they did to the 38RL! We would have got that if it was available.

Just a note - I'm not positive the wood stayed around the radius into the hall on the 36RL either. I thought that was a mid-year change, not by model, but I could be wrong. I was disappointed to see it go, because that was on of the first things I felt set the rich redwood interior apart from the rest, combined with the wood staircase and handrail.

Anyway - HAPPY SHOPPING!
I have noticed that the newer 2014 31sl also has eliminated the wood radius into the hall. Very disappointing. Everyone I've ever shown my 31sl to complimented the wood wall. Also sad to see them go back to the vinyl in the kitchen and the 31sl no longer has the 4 windows in the back like my 2013 does. One more thing I noticed was that the quartz countertops are no longer available. On the positive side though, I believe Redwood has made the heavier axles, and better G tires standard. The changes aren't a deal breaker, I just liked the wood look, the quartz look and the extra windows in the rear, and I thought the tile floor was a step above the rest.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #9

Thanks a lot!

I am overwhelmed by all your comments so fast!!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 AM   #10

X3 on the Disc Brakes. Once you load these things up, they are heavy, but the Disc sure help bring everything to a stop.
You didn't mention TV, but plan on a Dually to carry the pin weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
I am overwhelmed by all your comments so fast!!
Hang in there! You will find this forum very informative, covering just about anything you can think of concerning the Redwood. I for one, love reading the threads and have learned a great deal about aspects I never even thought of. No matter what issue you may have, someone on this forum will have a solution. Good luck in your purchase and hope you love your Redwood as much as we do.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #12

I actually bought a RAM 3500 Dually last week so that should do.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #13

Yes, the forum actually work! I hope to share my experience as time goes by. Plan to order it next week and think Andy in the factory hinted two month delivery time. Not sure if special orders go before the normal dealers orders.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #14

I was first thinking of getting a 36RL used but hard to find the full time package with dish washer, residential appliances and slide in slide/King so I think a new is the best way to go.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 AM   #15

Welcome to the forum. We just ordered our Redwood 38GK last weekend. Only 1 countertop available now. Only 7000 lb axles, Redwood insist 8k not necessary. Only 1 tire now, the better G rated. We also listened to forum advise and ordered the disc brakes. Minimum 10 weeks wait time for order. We asked Andy about removing the bedroom sink for the extra armoire like the RL and RE bedrooms but he said no. Honestly, we are not going to fulltime so I can't imagine filling this coach, there is so much storage. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #16

Thanks a lot!

So I should hurry up if I want it by April then it seems!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #17

We were going to buy used, but to quote Andy, "We really hit it out of the park with the 2014 redesign." And they did make so many improvements it made buying new a no-brainer for us.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Linda View Post
I can't imagine filling this coach, there is so much storage. .....
THERE !!!
I TOLD you Steve was a great big storyteller !!!!

38gk's CAN be filled up even if you are not full timing-
or maybe my wife does have super powers after all like she's said all along

just kidding of course S&L
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 AM   #19

what bothers me is to see that MSRP easily can be negotiated down by 32%. Wonder what bottom line is then. I prefer to have prices like in the car business, when you buy a new car you normally just get a smaller discount. Hard not to feel unsure.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #20

So after all comparing and really seeing all units I think we decide for a 38RL.
You people here on this forum is a great help, especially for things I can not know in example how Redwood treats me after the sales. And I feel ver comfortable with that now. No bad reports re. Redwood on internet either. Checked ripoff report and a lot of other sites. Some of the competitors are there quite frequently but not Redwood or Crossroads. Since you appear rely always run into som problems with a new unit it feels great to know there is support.
Not sure if it is better to trade in the old Class B+ or sell it privately. Not sure if you really get the recommended NADA but time will tell!

I understand that you don't pay sales tax on the part the trade in value represents so a little plus.