Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

Smile Keystone Aquires Crossroads / Redwood

For those who may or may not know. Keystone RV has acquired Crossroads / Redwood RV. Crossroads being the parent company for Redwood. This information was passed to me last week when I called Redwood Customer Service and was answered with KEYSTONE RV! Thought maybe I had the wrong number. But NO, the customer service person explained to me what had happened. NOW, THOR Enterprises still owns all these companies.

Redwood has discontinued making the Sequoia model also, (lower end Redwood) Now Redwood only makes the Redwood Model.

Beginning with the 2018 model year. Redwood will be reducing the manufacturer warranty to one year (instead of the current 2 year).

This is not good for the Redwood Line or for sales, as most new RV buyers and current ones looking to upgrade will be looking for a good warranty. (2 years). One year hardly gets the RV broke in, before problems start to happen.

I see problems for REDWOOD down the line. When companies in the RV industry do this, it won't be long before they go out of business. THOR is one of those megalopolis companies that will shut down an operation over night if it begins to lose to much money. And with the reduction in the warranty, my guess is they are starting to bleed too much money in repair claims.

So, If you are concerned about your Redwood, you might want to consider taking out an Extended Service Plan, (we just did with Good Sams) Protect the investment you have!

You all take care.
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

We owned two of the Keystone brand Montanas as many have. We bought our Redwood because it was a cut above even the top of the line Montana and was the upper standard many strived to reach (Montana Big Sky, Heartland Landmark) but never got there. Redwood was a featured packed 5er that stood proud at the shows.

I hated to see Crossroads take it in 2013 even though they were somewhat silent, but I hate to see Keystone taking completely over now to the point the Redwood name is reduced to a model name in the fleet. Keystone can't help but try to equalize things, and I'm sad that Redwood will probably suffer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

Started with 2+5 warranty then 2 year warranty and now 1 year warranty all within 5 1/2 years.... we all know were this is heading and not in a good direction.
We all thought we purchased high end and learned we did not and now we pay the price. Same with most every company but myself and wife thought RW was a step above the rest at the time. I hope they make a comeback but not looking good.

It shouldn't but it does still amaze me that if just a little more engineering, care and quality went into the build, They would be on top once again.
I guess quality and profit can not be used in the same sentence in the RV world.

I am so glad that I run my company on quality more then profit or I would have been out of business 30 years ago.

Steve
Old 05-07-2017, 02:30 AM   #4

I received my RW back from Keystone this past Thursday. They had it for 9 weeks to repair the bedroom slide leak. This has been the 3rd. time the rig has been back to the factory for the same repair. This slide has been leaking since day one. Twice for Redwood's factory and once for Keystone's factory, each time they have called and said yes we fixed it and we are going to test the fix in the rain locker then they call back and say no leaks found and guess what, we get the rig back set it up and it rains the same night and the next morning the slide is leaking on the floor so now we are waiting for Keystone to call us back Monday to talk with their service manager. I don't think there is any fix for the problem, it's just a poorly designed slide. I have had enough with the slide repairs we are full timers it is costing us every time it goes to the factory. Monday's call with Keystone will be the deciding factor in witch direction we go. Hopefully they do what's right.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #5

I did forget to add in my last post that even though we had problems with ours in the beginning, RW came through 100% for us on all issues that I reported to them. All were repaired with my tech here or myself and one trip to the service center which was left up to me if I wanted to bring it there or have it done at a dealer near me. I chose to bring it to them.

Steve
Old 05-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #6

From the 2018 Crossroads RV owner's manual, published 4/1/2017:

Chapter 2: LIMITED WARRANTY (Three Pages)
Both CrossRoads RV and Redwood RV are divisions of Keystone RV Company (“Keystone”) and therefore this Limited Warranty is offered by Keystone.
ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY FOR CROSSROADS RV PRODUCTS:
If you have purchased a CrossRoads recreational vehicle (“RV”), the Limited Warranty covers your RV for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase by the rst retail owner.
TWO-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY FOR REDWOOD RV PRODUCTS:
If you have purchased a Redwood RV (which includes only those RVs with the “Redwood” brand name on it and no other), the Limited Warranty covers your RV for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase by the first retail owner.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

I know what it says, but that is a manual that was probably produced months ago and may not reflect the actual intent of the company today!

I see you have one on order? I would be on the phone tomorrow, with your dealer and better yet REDWOOD to verify that you in fact have a 2 year warranty when you take delivery. Until you sign on the dotted line and it is in writing in your purchase order and contract, then you will have proof that you have a 2 year warranty.

The single biggest thing that RV companies have is providing manufacturer warranties.

Our 2016 RW has been to the dealer twice and to the factory once. All the problems I had was on the Off Driver side of the coach. Prior to first picking up our coach from the dealer we had a number of issues with the off driver side. RW has paid out a pretty penny fixing my coach. Had their quality control been up to par, these problems would have been caught and fixed prior to it leaving the factory.

Point being if you have ever been to the factory and talked to the people that work there, you would find they have allot of issues with the factory and the workers who build these units.

The RV industry is all about one thing: Making Money! Customer Service and Quality Control be damned!

Like Atom Ant stated, they bought their coach thinking it was a cut above and the best on the market. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

With RW only making one version now, that should be a sign that things are changing at RW.

Does your on order unit have 3 A/C's? This was a problem we had on our 2 A/C coach! You need to make sure when you take delivery that all your Air ducts are putting out good A/C. Our 2016 did not have the air ducts closed off on the ends and while both A/C worked, the air was venting into the roof and not into the coach. This is a problem with the production line and happens frequently. Just a heads up.

The sad fact is THOR has taken over so many RV companies in the past 5 years that it makes you wonder what is going on. THOR is monopolizing the RV industry. Keystone, DRV (owned 3 of them), Jayco (owned one) just to name a few have all been taken over by THOR. By removing the competition you increase your market share and profits significantly. And while THOR has it's own line of RV's, few people who buy other brands know that THOR is the parent company.

While we own a 2016 RW, the likelihood we will buy another one is questionable, since I don't see them surviving another 5 years.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

IMHO and my experience, it doesn't matter what it says !
10 years or 1 year or whatever,
if it is a problem from day one,
out of service most of the time,
and is still not fixed, the customer is hosed...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #9

The FUNNY AND SAD thing about the Topeka, IN area is the number of Empty Factory and warehouse facilities. Factories of one time RV's that didn't make it. Go up to Elkhart and any of the other cities that manufacture RV's and you will see the many empty places. Kind of like the restaurant business, if you don't have a good product or good service, YOU ARE HISTORY!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #10

Wow!
Have not been on here is a while so all this is a shock but not a surprise.
May not be going to the Rally this summer due to work commitments. Definitely not upgrading to another Redwood based on what we saw last year but was thinking about a DRV... now maybe not. Best to stick with what I have... all bugs ironed out and frig replaced last year under extended warranty.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #11

Brenda and I won't be buying another RW either. Like you guys, I think we got the bugs worked out of our coach now. I had a major problem with one of the slides, been to the dealer twice and I think they finally got it aligned properly and works fine.

Looking on Redwoods site, you see they only offer 6 models now and the sequoia is gone too.

We had 3 DRV's, but they have gotten so expensive and THOR owns them too now.

Personally, I don't see RW staying in business for another 5 years.

We just got a Good Sams Extended Service Plan for 5 years. I hope we won't have to use it much, but piece of mind just having it.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 AM   #12

My wife thought the extended Plan was a scam but boy am I glad I got it! More than paid for itself when we had our frig replaced at National RV last summer. Cost me $50... he added a PC fan behind he upper vent to increase flow across the coils. Frig makes ice in a n hour now... took all day before.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #13

Hey Brad which extended plan do you have?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

I guess we will have some roof repairs done this year and hold on to what we have also.

Anyone else notice that there is nobody from Redwood commenting on any of the posts on here?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I guess we will have some roof repairs done this year and hold on to what we have also.

Anyone else notice that there is nobody from Redwood commenting on any of the posts on here?
Do you think they really give a d@m ?
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #16

I heard that the people at the Indiana warranty office are no longer there. Keystone does not do things the way RW did so I don't think we will be hearing from them. I received my rig back from Keystone a few days ago and I am not impressed with their work. They didn't put the screws back in the bottom of side trim that seals the bottom edge of the slide, they caulked the face of the slide and smeared the caulking all over the place and left big bubbles in it so now I need to remove the caulking and do it right myself. the slide is still leaking.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #17

I guess this years rally should be interesting, wish we could be there. For those going, you better wear some tall boots as I bet it will get deep.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #18

I'm sure I am going to regret posting here, but I spent yesterday in Topeka. I toured the plant with a plant manager and met with the National Sales Manager. Among all the things we discussed was the warranty, which still is 2 years for Redwood. I spoke to them about "internet reputation management" and how unkind these types of forums can be. We talked about the rapid growth and the challenges of quality control. I witnessed the process and people trying to do just that.
Maybe I will regret my purchase but I hope not. I suppose there is a component of disgruntled customers for every purchase, and in this case forums like these give them a chance to air their grievances. Fair enough for them I suppose, but it does take some of the thrill and excitement away from newcomers and first time buyers.

I chose a dealer I really respect and like. I chose a product I think fits my wants needs and budget. I thank you most sincerely for your opinions and hope you understand the impact it has on others. For me, it was catalyst enough to put in a 4 hour drive to Topeka and see and here for myself. I was thrilled to see my unit on the line and have renewed sense of excitement and look forward to building great memories.

So I don't expect congratulations on joining the family of Redwood owners, but I really don't expect condolences either.
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Team

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
I'm sure I am going to regret posting here, but I spent yesterday in Topeka. I toured the plant with a plant manager and met with the National Sales Manager. Among all the things we discussed was the warranty, which still is 2 years for Redwood. I spoke to them about "internet reputation management" and how unkind these types of forums can be. We talked about the rapid growth and the challenges of quality control. I witnessed the process and people trying to do just that.
Maybe I will regret my purchase but I hope not. I suppose there is a component of disgruntled customers for every purchase, and in this case forums like these give them a chance to air their grievances. Fair enough for them I suppose, but it does take some of the thrill and excitement away from newcomers and first time buyers.

I chose a dealer I really respect and like. I chose a product I think fits my wants needs and budget. I thank you most sincerely for your opinions and hope you understand the impact it has on others. For me, it was catalyst enough to put in a 4 hour drive to Topeka and see and here for myself. I was thrilled to see my unit on the line and have renewed sense of excitement and look forward to building great memories.

So I don't expect congratulations on joining the family of Redwood owners, but I really don't expect condolences either.

Congratulations on your upcoming Redwood purchase and welcome to the forum of Redwood owners.

There are a lot of good people here that are willing to share their experience/s with RV ownership and willing to help if you have questions.

After 35 years of being a "pop-up camper", six years ago I did the same as you with the plant tour, ordering a Redwood and took ownership of my first 5th wheel. It has been a learning experience. I have had fewer issues with my Redwood than some folks have had and generally have been happy with the product. I have done some up-grades to the suspension, wheels and brakes. Some I did myself and others I did at the time of ordering.

Generally, if I have been critical, it is has mostly been of the RV industry as a whole. It is a marketing driven industry which often results in engineering and quality control shortcuts that don't make a lot of sense.

Don't hesitate to return and ask questions if you have them. I hope and trust your experience will be good and that you have many years of great travels.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #20

Congratulations on your RW. Our RW is our fourth RV. By far our RW has been the most rewarding fun of them. I wish you many happy times in your RW.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote