Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Internet Access on new FW

I've just learned that getting decent internet access at various RV parks could be very difficult without some type of wireless receiver (ie. satellite dish or mi Fi) I have a 39 FL On order and trying to decide the best way to go. I do not want to give up Netflix when I move into the Redwood next summer. But the first park I'm going to doesn't have wifi strong enough to stream movies and tv shows on Netflix. So looking for suggestions on the best way to prepare. I have no use for cable tv just want to be able to use my Netflix subscription.
NikD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

I use mifi with Verizon, or sometimes just hotspot off my phone. The smart TV in the Redwood has Netflix and to stream it is pretty reasonable. I tried Amazon on HD a few times and eegads it ate a lot of my monthly allowance.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

You can purchase different WIFI extenders for different PC manufactures. This will typically improve your signal/connection to an RV parks WIFI. However, even if you do get a decent connection in an RV park you more often than not run into bandwidth issue with their WIFI. So streaming video is usually not possible.

We typically do not stream video while traveling on the road. We will go to a local Redox and rent a movie. However we have had to do tethering for long periods of time just to get any kind of internet service. As stated above you could also use Verizon's MIFI plan.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #4

Parks may cut you off of their Wifi if you are using the bandwidth needed for streaming Netflix. Extenders may also be frowned upon. MH

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

I think that you will find that park wifi systems won't work for you if you try to stream, and we've found that most park wifi systems are overloaded and don't work well (for anything!). Some parks have smart systems that sense what you are downloading and cap your speed (I tried to download a PDF of our local newspaper in one park, about 15 mb, and it would have taken an hour to do it!). We've stayed at other parks that block certain websites to prevent streaming from sites

We carry a sat internet dish and a smartphone with internet connectivity, the sat system has a daily max usage number (our plan is 250 mb) but there is an 8 hr or so unlimited period overnight, we don't stream but if you can download and save it might work for you. Just a guess, but streaming over a cell connection might cost some $$ for bandwidth usage
Old 07-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #6

I haven't tried it yet in the camper -but Dish now puts Netflx in their menu. I would assume it still requires internet, but I can't be sure. Would be great if it all worked over the satellite.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

Yes Brad, Netflix is only an app inserted in the Dish guide that still requires a broadband internet connection. I was bummed to find out when we took a trip to the Oregon coast and couldn't use Netflix.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #8

Pretty much any type of Streaming thru a Verizon Jet Pak/MiFi will cost you big buck because of the GigaBites required. Like $80 for 10 Gig, $100 for 15, and goes up from there.
And, yes most CGs won't handle Streaming, many can't hardly handle e-mail and reading this forum.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #9
TnB

If you are going to be staying at one RV park for a couple months,you might be able to get cable internet service to your site.
We stayed in Mesa AZ for ten weeks and were able to get internet from the cable company for about $40 per month.
Buy your own modem and then take it with you to your future sites.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #10

With most all of the parks we've been to you WILL NOT be streaming Netflix, you'll be lucky to read your email. Unless you can find some service that's cheap you best get use to park cable, OTA, or stock up on dvds.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #11

Just purchased our first Rv, have yet to leave the driveway, but this info is unfortunate, we too had planned on using Netflix...
TheRubins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Ya, I haven't found a good way to stream. But the Dish brings in some good stuff.