Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to LovinRVlife
Help on pre-purchase please

Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have found an RV I am very interested in purchasing but would like to get some feedback on it. The one I found is a brand new 2014 Redwood 38 FL. My obvious first concern is why has this unit never sold? Could this be a good unit to boondocks in? I do not mind making the modifications needed to make that happen i.e. solar etc. Can any owners of this unit give me some feedback good or bad?

Also the price is a question, as I said it is a brand new 2014 and I have been offered a quote of 44% off of MSRP, which I believe is because they are motivated to move it. The dealership was recently purchased by new owners. The salesman told me when I asked him the best price he said about 30% off was the best he has ever seen quoted. I said well its a 2014 and they may be motivated to sell so let's go ask them and they were, much more-so than the previous owners. Thanks for any help!

Thanks,

David
LovinRVlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:20 AM   #2

Price sounds about right for a new left over, I would think 45% is pretty good if the 2 year warranty begins at date of purchase and there is nothing wrong, no leaks, mold or damage to the unit other than just sitting on the lot.

I think the biggest item on boondocking is what type of refrigerator does it have, is it a RV type refrigerator or a Residential type Refrigerator, it takes more power to keep the Residential Refrigerators running.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Rob, ignore the PM as I see you have answered here. It has the NC refer but I am unsure if it is electric/gas or just gas. It's the 12cu with built in ice maker, I wish it were bigger. Is there anyway I could put the 18cu NC in it's place?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post
Thanks for the reply Rob, ignore the PM as I see you have answered here. It has the NC refer but I am unsure if it is electric/gas or just gas. It's the 12cu with built in ice maker, I wish it were bigger. Is there anyway I could put the 18cu NC in it's place?
Ok, so it has the Norcold, it is electric / gas with 12 Volt Power

We have no problem fulltiming with the 12 cu with ice maker.

The new 18 cu units will not fit in the same opening.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #5

Okay perfect then as we will be full-timing in ours as well.

I swear your sig pic looks identical to the one I am looking at buying, Tan and Burgundy? I see you have slide toppers as well, who installed them, what manufacturer are they and are you glad you added them?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRVlife View Post
Okay perfect then as we will be full-timing in ours as well.

I swear your sig pic looks identical to the one I am looking at buying, Tan and Burgundy? I see you have slide toppers as well, who installed them, what manufacturer are they and are you glad you added them?
Yep, Tan and Burgundy, or if you are a FSU (Florida State University) Fan like us, it is Garnett and Gold

I installed the slide toppers, they are Care Free Brand Toppers, bought them from Shade Pro in California, good price and fast shipping.
We like the toppers here in the Southeast, lots of trees and stuff gets on top of the slides and they help with the direct Sun on the slide roofs.
Many people in the Midwest do not like them because of the winds, they will flap in the winds.
One thing I did was to install the slide topper strips a little higher than typical so I would not get any water pooling, we have not had any water pool on them even in very heavy rains, they work great.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

You may want to make sure the dealer has a reputable service department for any warranty work that may arise. Also check to make sure this unit has G rated tires at a minimum. Also the dealer should throw in a second battery. We've dry camped in our RW for 2 weeks with no problems. Lastly make certain you perform a good PDI. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

I may be wrong but 40% off MSRP on a 2014 ? I think the dealer should be able to do better..... Some get 40% off a BRAND NEW 5er.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip sinder, how would you recommend the best way to find out that information? Google?

Rosie the discount is almost 45%, I haven't been able to find anything near 40% on a new unit.

Thanks,

David
Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Folks.....we can't discuss dealership names with pricing. This will get Redwood very upset rather quickly. Percentages I think (unless I'm corrected) are a grey area and vague. But putting pricing with a dealerships name is a big NO NO.

Thanks for your understanding
Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Folks.....we can't discuss dealership names with pricing. This will get Redwood very upset rather quickly. Percentages I think (unless I'm corrected) are a grey area and vague. But putting pricing with a dealerships name is a big NO NO.

Thanks for your understanding

Sorry for that..... Won't happen again
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #12

I apologize, I should know better and should have read the forum rules better. I manage a forum with 7k+ members , it won't happen again.

But I really do appreciate all the feedback given so far.

David
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
Site Team

To be honest I wish we could discuss the pricing although the price of an RV is only half the battle. Good follow up and service is sometimes more important. However, the rules are there to keep piece with the dealerships and the company so I guess we have to abide by them.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:24 AM   #14

David, I did make a call today. Your right they are under new ownership. I am planning on towing over tomorrow leaving mine there once again and I am going to meet the new owners. BEST NEWS I HAVE HAD IN A LONG TIME!!!!
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #15

That's great Mark, I hope all goes well my friend.

David