Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Going To Look At Redwoods Saturday

We are going to go look at some Redwoods Sat. What are some things I really need to inspect. 3901 MB and a 3901 WB.
fndrbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #2

Wow. 100 views and no suggestions
Old 08-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Site Team

What years ? And do either have any mods to the suspension ?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

New at a dealer
Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #5

Sometimes a topic has been covered so many times that it is better to look back thru the other postings to see what was recommended. There are many topics for PDI's which will also things to look at when shopping.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

Perhaps we misunderstand the intent of your question. The forum is full of people willing, and even anxious to help. It seems you are going to look at floor plans and general quality and see if Redwood is the coach for you. In that case we wouldn’t expect a lot of inspection, more analysis and comparison to other brands.

Normally, after the purchase and at delivery you would perform your own Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI). The intent at that time is to ascertain that all systems are functional, and appearance and quality issues discovered at the dealers PDI have been corrected. When you are at that point, there are many comments on the forum and even checklists and recommendations to stay a night or two on the dealers lot if possible. The principle being that you will never be more important to the dealer than you will be prior to driving away.

My strongest recommendation would be to research the dealer. Look for complaints and try to assure yourself that he/she will be responsive when you have needs, and fight for you with the factory warranty administration people. Pick a good dealer and price is secondary to the pure aggravation of a non performing dealer. It is a home on wheels being beat up by some pretty awful roads in places. It will have issues, so be prepared to deal with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #7

We have a 2018 3901WB. Once you look at some and still have some questions let me know and I will help if I can.
55 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #8

As mentioned, you need to shop the service department of whatever dealership rather than the sales. Once they've sold it the sales department is DONE, got your money, don't know your name.
There are PDI list to take with you, take your time, take video of the walk thru, don't sign anything until YOU are satisfied that everything is working properly or repaired to your satisfaction.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

depending on the floor plan you want you may be able to find a really nice used redwood 2~3 years old. There is a truck and GK trailer for sale now here. If new is what you want the dealer ship service DEPT has the have the best ratings possible . Sales dept just takes your money, the service dept takes your trailer and makes it right and keeps you happy!
Old 08-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

Residential refrigerator

If your getting one with the residential refrigerator have them put in a remote switch and indicator for the inverter. I bought a 2019 3401rl and in order to run refrigerator on battery you have to climb in the front storage compartment and reach way up and feel for the button. The remote and cable only cost $25. Why they did not install one when building it is surprising. I ordered one now I hope I can run the cable up to the kitchen area.
Res1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Inspect!!!

Ours was new. If you buy, whatever brand or unit, get ready for some frustration. This is an unregulated industry where the workers tend to leave things undone, missing, and covered up. The dealer promised to go over the unit “with a fine-tooth comb.” NOT TRUE. There were many, many things left undone at the factory that we found over several trips. Ice maker not hooked up, nor plugged in. The vacuum hose was not connected at the back of the unit in the basement. Had to remove the basement wall and there was 4’ of extra hose wrapped around some of the support framing. The HDMI cable was never connected to the TV in the living area because it wouldnt reach the port because I t was bundled and tied to other wiring so we could not play DVDs. I had to remove the radio/DVD player to redo the rat nest of wiring and re-install the player. The bed frame had to be rebuilt because it was poorly built and crooked. The guides for several drawers were misaligned and screws were loose or missing. All these and others were items I spent hours at campgrounds instead of relaxing or fishing. That being said, after 2 years, with my work and some warranty items fixed, we haven’t had any issues on our last two trips. Hoping for the best.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

We bought a 2019 3401RL with a residential refrigerator which runs of a inverter while on the road. in order to turn on the inverter you have to go into the front storage compartment and reach way up top to feel for the button on the inverter to turn it on. I ordered a remote that plugs into it and hope I can run the cable up into the camper. This only cost $25. and can not figure out why this was not installed when the camper was built.
Res1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #13

Awnings

I bought mine in 2013 . I would not purchase the awnings over the slides. I have replaced them all once due to wind while driving. Not fun crawling up on top and cutting them off on a windy day. They also make noise at night if it is windy.. My previous fifth wheel didn’t have them and to be honest if I lose them again I will not replace them.
rjberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

We have a 2016 3901mb we got this spring. Got a good price being slightly used. The tags were still on the furniture ant outside television. A few minor issues have popped up mostly due to poor workmanship. Nothing I couldn't take care of myself. It tows great with a 2018 gmc Duramax 3500 srw. I have the disc brakes which in my mind far surpass the drums and are a worthwhile option. Just make sure you have enough truck to do the job. Have fun shopping and don't rule out a nice used one unless money is not an issue. We got ours for 58k and couldn't really tell from a new one.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #15

Check out the one for sale on here says cancer forces sale. You could help someone out and get a good deal also.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
Check out the one for sale on here says cancer forces sale. You could help someone out and get a good deal also.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing
Here's mine, which is just one of a few listed in the classified section on here.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #17

Absolutely agree with the gentleman that said make sure it is all working. It got to point with me that, while still under warranted, the service department started telling me what I could do to fix things. Not to pleasurable given we spent >100k on a new RV. Elevated to senior leadership of Redwood and was basically told I need to be careful how I speak about things or it could get worse. I finally found other, more reliable authorized service department. I work in aircraft and know what good maintenance is.

So, concluded I will not sign the line until I knew it was all right. They had it longer the first year we owned it than I did.

Inspect everything!!!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #18

Feet to the fire

Good for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspang11 View Post
Absolutely agree with the gentleman that said make sure it is all working. It got to point with me that, while still under warranted, the service department started telling me what I could do to fix things. Not to pleasurable given we spent >100k on a new RV. Elevated to senior leadership of Redwood and was basically told I need to be careful how I speak about things or it could get worse. I finally found other, more reliable authorized service department. I work in aircraft and know what good maintenance is.

So, concluded I will not sign the line until I knew it was all right. They had it longer the first year we owned it than I did.

Inspect everything!!!!!
Willbetravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #19

We have a '15 39MB that we custom ordered. We made the decision to eliminate the 1/2 bath and have it converted to a butler pantry. We have been full-timing for the past 7 years and wanted the cabinet / storage space in the trailer more than the additional bath. The arrangement has worked great for us. I now see that they have the 39WB (wet bar) combination which would be a similar arrangement.

Good luck in finding what you fits your life style and needs!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #20

We have a 2018 3901WB for sale. The bugs have been worked out, however, we are forced to sale due to my wife's stage 4 colon cancer treatments.

If you're interested in seeing some pictures let me know your email address, it's listed in the classifieds.
Piercebld is offline   Reply With Quote