Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Hi. I'm getting ready to order a Redwood 38BR next week with most of the options. For those of you that are Redwood owners, do you have any advice on things I should make sure of before I do?
eee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Hi there, we ordered a 36RE fairly loaded & are happy with what we purchased. I would make sure that you go over all the options available before you order & bring up any special requests during your order process. I didn't know that you could request special items - one poster noted that he had 4 satellite connections on the roof, not that I need that but RW seems to be open to special requests. The one item I found out was that you can't get all the slide toppers if you want the second awning. Some have commented that they didn't know you could get a second awning. Also, I would ask them to label all the coax connections at the factory as the manual is deficient in this area.

Good luck with your order, I'm sure you will be happy when take delivery
Lawr&Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your response!!! Things like that are very helpful.
I plan on ordering with the 2nd power awning instead of the slide awnings. (hoping that's the right choice). Other options I'm going with are full body paint (black/maroon), convection microwave, bigger fridge w/ ice maker, central vac, fireplace, king bed, maxx fan in kitchen and bathroom (wondering if I shouldn't go with the bedroom as well), washer/dryer installed, hide a bed sofa, 2nd AC, Generator installed, bigger propane bottles, dual pane windows.

Random questions I forgot to ask...
where is the on/off switch on the generator located inside
what color is the awning?
are there outlets on the island in the kitchen?
outlets next to the bed on either side?

I decided not to go with the slide in slide and opted to get the king bed instead. Does the bed raise up to provide additional storage? I'm assuming it would as most trailers do.

Getting ready to order and want to think of all the littel things I'm forgetting. Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eee95

Thank you so much for your response!!! Things like that are very helpful.
I plan on ordering with the 2nd power awning instead of the slide awnings. (hoping that's the right choice). Other options I'm going with are full body paint (black/maroon), convection microwave, bigger fridge w/ ice maker, central vac, fireplace, king bed, maxx fan in kitchen and bathroom (wondering if I shouldn't go with the bedroom as well), washer/dryer installed, hide a bed sofa, 2nd AC, Generator installed, bigger propane bottles, dual pane windows.

Random questions I forgot to ask...
where is the on/off switch on the generator located inside Inside the cabinet with the other controls, slides, awning, water pump, hot water both electric and gas
what color is the awning? Don't recall at the moment and it's dark outside
are there outlets on the island in the kitchen? Yep, one at each end
outlets next to the bed on either side? Yep, one on each side of the bed

I decided not to go with the slide in slide and opted to get the king bed instead. Does the bed raise up to provide additional storage? I'm assuming it would as most trailers do. Nope, bed doesn't lift up, but there is a large drawer on each side that go under the bed.

Getting ready to order and want to think of all the littel things I'm forgetting. Thanks again!
I would make sure to order the G614RST "G" Rated tires
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

We purchased our 36FL with the Redwood Parks Package, Redwood Full Time living package, convection microwave 12 cu ft refer with ice maker, central vac, 51BTU fireplace (works and looks great), Air mattress with elec pump, King Bed, fantastic fan kitchen (am installing one in the bathroom), ceiling fan, 3 burner cook top with 3 drawers, Fisher & Paykel Dishwasher (great addition and works well), 2nd AC, 40lb propane bottles, heat pump on AC, water filtration, gen prep (we did not get a generator), trail air pin box, full body paint (maroon/black) dual pane windows and the keyless entry system.I purchased a satellite dish (winegard direct slimline) and had our dealer install it. I installed an undercounter coffee maker, and installed towel holders on one side of the shower wall. Since we didn't purchase a washer/dryer, we had our dealer install extra shelves in the bathroom closet and I installed a cat door for a litter box that will be located in the bath closet. I had my dealer install a satellite drop in the "basement" so I can hook up a 42in flat panel tv for "football gatherings". We also purchased the Green Egg BBQ option. That thing is great!!Adds 300lbs to the coach when you travel with it, but, what a way to cook for a gathering!! If I had to re-order a new coach now, I would order all above and add satellite wiring for 4 tvs, disc brakes, g rated tires, and the extra automatic awning and the storage slide system. Well hope this helps. Oh, also, the idea about having the factory label all tv cables is great. Hire a teenager to set up your surround system it normally takes them about 5 min to make all that stuff work very well!! The most important thing you want to have with your new coach is FUN. Enjoy and happy trails.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Thank you!!

Forgot to mention yes - G Rated tires are also on there.

Any advice on on wether to with the heat pump on the A/C? I was told that wasn't necessary?

As far as the generator goes....have never had a propane one before...the dealer told me it would have no problem running everything at once, but I find that hard to believe. I currently have a 6.5 Onan gas and we have had trouble getting it to pull everything. Although, we may just have a problem with the generator. I don't plan on having to use it that often, but assume with this one you would go thru propane very fast.

Axles---we've always had 3 axles so seeing something this big with only 2 concerned me, but again, the dealer assured me all would be fine.

Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice! Great to know about the satellite wiring....I also plan to have the dealer install the auto satellite.
Did the factory install the storage slide system or is that something you had to get at the dealer?

I wasn't aware of the Green Egg BBQ system? Where do you haul it at? Is that something that comes from the factory?

Thanks again everyone for these tips and suggestions.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

storage slide system can be purchased at camping world or I would think it could be ordered as an option. The green egg syatem was an option from the factory. It goes on the 2in received on the rear of the coach via an electric lift system. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture I will send you some via the private message option to this forum.

John
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
par

ColJDM
I noticed in your post you bring up disk brakes, can you elaborate on why you would order them now if you were to start over?
Edited by: par
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #10

I have the heat pump and it is very nice, it you think you
may be out when the temps are chilly it works fine you can use their electric instead
of your propane (the furnace uses a lot) only thing to remember is if the temp inside
your unit has more than a 4-5 degree difference it kicks on the gas furnace
till it is within 4-5 degrees. I was in temps in the upper 30’s in March and
was able to maintain 70 in the camper <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

The Disk Brakes add a great deal of additional stopping power. We had upgraded our Montana to the disks and what a difference, so I wouldn't have a unit now with the Disk Brakes. We thought about the Heat Pump option, but instead we use the Fire Place, keeps the living area toasty yet leaves the sleeping area cool, which is the way we like it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

I too am interested in why folks did or did not order a generator. My DH &amp; I have debated back &amp; forth a lot about it. We are not big boondockers, but I want a generator for those just in case times. I think it should be installed by the factory. DH is not happy with the factory install price &amp; likes getting separate generator, which would be gas powered (a 3rd fuel source needed IMO). Anyway, appreciate thoughts.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann4Now
I too am interested in why folks did or did not order a generator. My DH &amp; I have debated back &amp; forth a lot about it. We are not big boondockers, but I want a generator for those just in case times. I think it should be installed by the factory. DH is not happy with the factory install price &amp; likes getting separate generator, which would be gas powered (a 3rd fuel source needed IMO). Anyway, appreciate thoughts.
We had hoped to do alot of dry camping so we ordered the gen as a back up to a solar system, I had planed oninstalling, if we ever get it back from the repair shop.

Lillyputz
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #14

Linda, we had the Dual Hondas that we used with our Montana. They worked great and are quiet, but can be a real pain in the a.. to drag out and setup, then after use you have to let them cool before storing away, so we decided on the On-Board Gen for the Redwood. Granted gas is easier to find, but like you noted, it makes a third source of fuel you have to carry and one of the most dangerous too. We don't do a lot of boondocking, but weekend before last we went to a show in Cambridge, ON and spent the night in the Parking Lot and the temps were in the low 90s so we fired off the Genny and cranked up both ACs and cooled the rig in short order, well worth the expense that day.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

eee95

Get the bedroom maxx fan too and heat pump on A/C's...Definitely get G rated tires and wheels...
get dealer to put in 2 type 27 batteries (dealers here have no problem paying for 1 and be sure to ask for matching pair....factory issues 1 made by worldwide; dealer can use it with another when he orders and use it for a matching pair. There is plenty of storage in the kitchen so we opted to keep the oven and not pay for extra drawer space. You might even see if they will install a towel bar or 2 ...Everyone on this site seems to be looking for and installing their own....Means you have to be careful what you drill through...Most of all any promises should be in writing
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eee95

Thank you!!

Forgot to mention yes - G Rated tires are also on there.

Any advice on on wether to with the heat pump on the A/C? I was told that wasn't necessary?

As far as the generator goes....have never had a propane one before...the dealer told me it would have no problem running everything at once, but I find that hard to believe. I currently have a 6.5 Onan gas and we have had trouble getting it to pull everything. Although, we may just have a problem with the generator. I don't plan on having to use it that often, but assume with this one you would go thru propane very fast.

Axles---we've always had 3 axles so seeing something this big with only 2 concerned me, but again, the dealer assured me all would be fine.

Thanks again!

We ordered our RL pretty loaded up and we did get the generator as well as the heat pump. I love the heat pump but it doesn't work if it gets in the low 30's. The generator will run most everything but if you're careful. I can run about anything I want at the same time with the exception of both airs. If I run both airs everything else has to be turned off.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
par

I was just on the Onan website checking out the 6.5 which is rated at 54.2 Amps @ 120Vac. Your shore power is rated at 50 Amps @ 120Vac so theoritically the 6.5 should be able to supply the entire unit. With respect to consumption, the 6.5 uses 5.3 lb/hr at full load, so you would burn through a 40 lb tank in less than 8 hours. At no load (idling) it consumes 2.2 lbs/hr, so a 40 lb tank should last between 18 and 7.5 hours based on its load.
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #18

eee95 Whether you get the generator or not I would get the Gen Prep...makes it easy to add one later
RW36FB
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Site Team

My generator is the 5.5 and it does fine. I ran it for 8 hours with the a/c on while we sat overnight in a parking lot. I've used it several times while stopping for naps while on the road using it for an hour here and an hour there for the last 2 months and so far I've gone through 1 40lb tank.

I carry an extra 40 lb tank in my truck just in case

Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #20

eee95

I don't know if you can get it from factory but if you can I would have them install a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 surge and voltage protector and place it where it the system when using generator or A/C ...Save some heartache and expense due to fault problems at camp sites.
RW36FB