Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Site Team

Floor Plan Ideas

I think Redwood has done a pretty good job with the floor plans. I would like to see some changes in order to make the PERFECT floor plan. Of course what's perfect for one won't be perfect for others.

I think the BR extended about 3 ft would make a pretty good RV. The Bonus room then would be around 7x8 which could be used as a side entrance toy room, office, a guest/bunk room or hobby room.

The MB needs to be extended just a foot so the pantry would be full size.

Who else has ideas?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

I would like to see the 31 SL offered in a side entertainment option and also offer a single (2 door) standard household refrigerator around 15-17 cubic foot. This would probably allow for a pantry next to it which is not available now with the 12 cubic ft 4 door refrigerator. I also liked the 34SK floor plan that was deleted. Not everyone wants a 38-42 foot luxury fifth wheel.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

I had a plan for the perfect RV for us, then they came out with it - the 38RL ,

I tripped the trigger about 1 year tooo early....

(but ours has some unique things no longer offered that I would miss immensely)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

I love 2 entry doors on ANY Rv.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #5

Dave,

The MB is a great coach, with the full pantry it would be even better, just about perfect for folks who like to have overnight guests and not have to share bathrooms [except for showers].
Your thoughts of extending the BR would be great for people who want/need that separate room.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I think Redwood has done a pretty good job with the floor plans. I would like to see some changes in order to make the PERFECT floor plan. Of course what's perfect for one won't be perfect for others.

I think the BR extended about 3 ft would make a pretty good RV. The Bonus room then would be around 7x8 which could be used as a side entrance toy room, office, a guest/bunk room or hobby room.

The MB needs to be extended just a foot so the pantry would be full size.

Who else has ideas?
We really like our 38GK. That said, from the shower forward to the bedroom could be reconfigured a bit. I think the shower is plenty big and could be shortened a bit, that moves the wall to the bedroom back. The toilet is super small, hard to move around in. On the way to the bedroom, there is a short wall that is the latch side of the bedroom door. That is just in the way. Also, can't get your face in the sinks without smacking your head on the upper cab. That bathroom/linen with w/d prep area could be reworked somehow.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

Dave,
I agree with the comment about the MB. We absolutely love ours but the smaller pantry did cause a few heated discussions between the wife and I. The kitchen seems to have much less storage, however there is SO much storage up in the main bathroom and over the top of the 1/2 bath that we make it work. But, like you said, a little extra length on the rig would make the kitchen perfect.

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #8

Just so you know.... the MB has a new option. In place of the half bath is a walk in pantry in the same footprint. I have not seen the photos yet...but the first of its kind was supposed to be at the Dealer Open House in Elkhart a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to seeing the new changes. For a full-timer like myself..... more pantry is VERY important.

Lady E Cooper
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #9

We liked the idea of the pantry instead of the bathroom since 99.9% of the time it is just the two of us traveling and working.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #10

We love the 2013 36FL. I would like to see the old plan back and do something with 2 chairs that are uncomfortable and replace them with recliners. Outside storage has been a problem as we loose the pass through like the rest of you have. It would be nice if there was a way to re-arrange the water, tv connections to a different location and make it a pass through along with changing the water filter.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 AM   #11
Site Team

The 31 SL is around 35 ft long. By extending it, they could build a pretty nice toy hauler.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
lwg

I wish the BR had the TV on the side instead of the back, and add a full pantry. I would extend the RV the 3 feet as mentioned and split the extra space between the bonus room and the living area. The difference between 41' and 45' is minor at best once your dealing with anything over 40'.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormarky View Post
We love the 2013 36FL. I would like to see the old plan back and do something with 2 chairs that are uncomfortable and replace them with recliners. Outside storage has been a problem as we loose the pass through like the rest of you have. It would be nice if there was a way to re-arrange the water, tv connections to a different location and make it a pass through along with changing the water filter.
We agree, our preference is for an FL model, but the new 38FL just doesn't work for us. The original 36FL, with the following modifications would suit us:
  • Dump the uncomfortable seats and replace with electric recliners in a theatre configuration.
  • Provide an option for a Queen size inflatable bed incorporated into the couch.
  • Add 1 ' to LR slides
  • Change LR TV to 50"
  • Max fan in LR
  • Residential fridge
  • Redesign the table and provide effective securing mechanism to the bulkhead, as the existing latch on window trim doesn't work.
  • Bedroom 1 or 2 feet longer to provide more space either side of king bed & supply storage under bed
  • Redesign basement for pass through and enlarge. Easy access to water filter
  • IS, disks & H tires
  • Redesign the dump valve compartment or tanks, so the door isn't open to utilise both grey tanks.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Rick and Mindy Quote: I also liked the 34SK floor plan that was deleted. Not everyone wants a 38-42 foot luxury fifth wheel. [/QUOTE]

We still like our "short-39 ft, from nose to back of ladder" 34SK floor plan. Maybe a replacement intermediate length floor plan would work for some people??
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #15

I agree with Mark, additional storage in the 36FL outside storage would be nice. For those of us with no generators, a retro fit door above the front storage compartment and reinforcement of the "generator cabinet" would allow for additional storage. Additionally, if a retrofit for the back cap storage (as seen on the 2014 models) would be a great addition. We really enjoy our 36FL and have traveled 65k miles since purchase in 2012. Our floor plan is great ( we do not care for the 38FL floor plan) and would like to see Redwood offer MorRyde suspension as an option as well as improve the circulation of the AC system by adding an additional return vent in the living room. I would also like to see a shore power cable reel added underneath near the rear shore power hook up and access to the water filter through the service compartment (fresh water fill/hookup location) as compared to unloading your entire storage compartment and having toe crawl through to the water filter access door to change the filter. I solved some of that stupidity when we installed a MorRyde storage tray (which should be an option as well) now I "ride" in to change the filter. All in all we dearly love our coach and would just like to see some minor improvements and a much better QC process in manufacturing.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #16

We are also disappointed that they dropped the 34SK model, which we have and love everything about it.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #17

Both DRV and Lifestyle offer a 32'. We were looking for a shorty so we could tow our boat behind it (2 years ago). They have their nitch, and was disappointed Redwood dropped the shorter ones.

Redwood would have been choice, because they had the 4dr fridge and King Bed, but the DRV and Lifestyle did not in the short ones.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #18

We have the 38FL and like all the windows in the front living area, plus we like the large Lane Theater Seating unit we were able to put in the front and have it face the TV.

What we really like is the larger bedroom on the 38FL with the side dresser and cabinets.
One of the mods we are looking at in the bedroom is removing the metal innerspring frame and putting a lift up platform in so we can access the storage under the bed. Also we are looking at getting a thicker mattress and removing the metal frame would allow us to have a thicker mattress since it has push the lower drawers in and go under the wardrobe in the opposing bedroom slide so mattress height is limited.

Like many other have said, better A/C cooling and air flow would be great improvement to our RW.

The access to the water filter on the FL is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen, I removed the water filter and bypassed it, now we just use a water filter outside on a stand.

As far as storage goes, having access to only one side of the basement storage is a PITA but we do have the back compartment and we do not have or need a generator so we removed the generator box and have a ton of storage in the front compartment. Overall we have about the same amount of storage as our previous 5th Wheel which was a Rear Living floor plan.

Having a power cord reel would be a nice addition and a remote for the slides, awning and outside lights is really missed (our previous 5th Wheel had a remote)

Redwood has to step up with better quality and offer options like the MorRyde IS suspension to compete in the high end 5th Wheel market or they will start to loose market share.

With the introduction of the Sequoia, Cypress and Carriage products, they will surely cut into the Redwood market share.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #19

Seeing a lot or people would like the cord reel, you would think they would mandatory it instead of the exterior tv. Our 36 Fl has 3 inside why would we need a fourth?

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Seeing a lot or people would like the cord reel, you would think they would mandatory it instead of the exterior tv. Our 36 Fl has 3 inside why would we need a fourth?
I'd be removing that if ours had it. The ones I've seen take up way too much space.