Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #1

Finally looked at a Redwood.

Finally had a day this week to drive over to a Redwood dealer.
They only had one Redwood in stock and a Sequoia.
It was a non current 2014 front living room model. I was able to look at the build quality anyway. Looking to get a RL model.
I liked what I saw.
It was a shame this one had so many scratches from being on the lot there.
Couple quick questions.
Is the frame not a lippert product? And how does the full paint hold up to scratches compared to gel coat? Just seemed like this one was all beat up. Guess no one took care of it for a year or more that it has been there.

This salesman spent 90% of his time trying to convince me to buy a Grand Design. So not sure if he is the dealer for me.
But getting more excited now to start shopping. Still need to see a 36 or 38 RL yet. Hoping I can stop at Tiara in Indiana on one of my trips home.
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Check out the redwoods they are a little nicer than the sequoia ' s
They have the full paint which is like your cars finish. All the frame components are Lippert. I have an rl and it does the trick for us. When we were looking we took a year and looked at all of them. Redwood was the best bang for the buck. I am not sorry we bought what we did and would buy anothet. Good luck in your search
Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azandy View Post
Finally had a day this week to drive over to a Redwood dealer.
They only had one Redwood in stock and a Sequoia.
It was a non current 2014 front living room model. I was able to look at the build quality anyway. Looking to get a RL model.
I liked what I saw.
It was a shame this one had so many scratches from being on the lot there.
Couple quick questions.
Is the frame not a lippert product? And how does the full paint hold up to scratches compared to gel coat? Just seemed like this one was all beat up. Guess no one took care of it for a year or more that it has been there.

This salesman spent 90% of his time trying to convince me to buy a Grand Design. So not sure if he is the dealer for me.
But getting more excited now to start shopping. Still need to see a 36 or 38 RL yet. Hoping I can stop at Tiara in Indiana on one of my trips home.
Yes the frame is lippert. The paint is fairly durable, it will scratch but won't dull and oxidize like gelcoat. We have a 38 RL and love it, space galore.
Grand Design: the roof trusses are wood. Not many left doing that. What good is aluminum frame side walls and wooden roof trusses. Not for me.
In luxury 5th wheels I think Redwood has the best value. We like ours and would buy again.
Good luck on your search.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Yes the frame is lippert. The paint is fairly durable, it will scratch but won't dull and oxidize like gelcoat. We have a 38 RL and love it, space galore.
Grand Design: the roof trusses are wood. Not many left doing that. What good is aluminum frame side walls and wooden roof trusses. Not for me.
Good luck on your search.
Yep all the Chassis Components are Lippert (Falcon / FIT), Frame, Axles, Springs, Brakes, Level Up, Steps, Pin Box

We toured the Jayco Premium 5th Wheel Plant a few weeks ago while in Shipshewana for the Redwood Rally, they are using Wooden Roof Trusses too !!

We have a 2014 38FL and love the layout.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

I wasn't sure what the falcon FIT was. Thought maybe a different company.
Ya I'm not interested in a Grand Design at this point. The sales person was pushing them to me. I must not have been dressed well enough. Lol
We are going to upgrade to a high end unit. Going to do a five year plan on this one. Looks like I'll be living in it again next year. Have most of the years contracts already. Probably going to order in December or January. Unless I find a deal on a lot model.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Lots of great things going on at Redwood right now, they are listening to their customers and implementing many of their customer comments / feedback.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Ya I'm not interested in a Grand Design at this point. The sales person was pushing them to me. I must not have been dressed well enough. Lol
We are going to upgrade to a high end unit. .
The Grand Design owners I have talked to in CGs tell me the Grand Design units are pretty decent products for their market / price point but they are not Redwoods !!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 AM   #8

Ya the Falcon FIT thing is one of the marketing ploys Redwood has used since the beginning - but it's all Lippert.

If you kind of read between the lines on the brochure or website - the Falcon trade name just means that instead of mixing vendors - they us everything Lippert. In reality, the 12" I-beam frame is identical to nearly all the 5ers out there in this weight and size.

I wish they would drop that scheme and just say what it really is.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I wasn't sure what the falcon FIT was. Thought maybe a different company.
We are going to upgrade to a high end unit. Going to do a five year plan on this one. Looks like I'll be living in it again next year. Have most of the years contracts already. Probably going to order in December or January. Unless I find a deal on a lot model.
Andy , we sat in a Solitude 375RLE at the local show and really liked it.. BUT in MY EYES , There is NO comparison between the 2... I think that the main reason we liked it was because of the unique floor plan.. SO we went to the local dealer and they had the Solitudes parked directly next to the Redwoods... NIGHT AND DAY difference.. I know of 2 dealers pretty aggressive with Redwoods if and when your interested . . . 1 in South Jersey , and 1 in Ashland VA... If home service is not an issue with you , you can shop the price,., The South Jersey dealer has 3 on the lot , and Ashland had maybe 7 or 8 the last I looked ..

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

Thanks Joe .
I probably will consider that. Home dealer isn't real important. My kz hasn't been to Wisconsin since February. If you wouldn't mind pm me the names. Thanks. Andy