Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #1

Extended Warranties

Our coach is quickly approaching the first anniversary, I intentionally did not get an extended warranty when we purchased the coach but wonder about getting coverage before the two year bumper-to bumper expires.

Some say that the closer you get to the end of the two years, the more expensive the extended warrantee gets.

My questions...
Do you have an extended warranty?
If so, when did you get it, e.g. at purchase, during first two years, end of second year, after two years?
Which company did you get the warrantee through?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #2

Chuck,

Affirmative, we did get an extended warranty on the coach. On all other purchases, including vehicles, we decline the extended warranty. But on the Redwood, we decided to go for it for a number of reasons:
- the price was reasonable and I also negotiated a substantial discount
- this is our very first RV and had no idea how they are put together
- these coaches have some very complex and expensive systems
- the warranty price increases significantly as the coach ages and our negotiating position is less favourable, especially if some systems have experienced problems.

In summary, it was relatively cheap insurance and it gave me piece of mind while I learn how these thing work and how they are put together.

We have a First Canadian plan.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Our coach is quickly approaching the first anniversary, I intentionally did not get an extended warranty when we purchased the coach but wonder about getting coverage before the two year bumper-to bumper expires.

Some say that the closer you get to the end of the two years, the more expensive the extended warrantee gets.

My questions...
Do you have an extended warranty?
If so, when did you get it, e.g. at purchase, during first two years, end of second year, after two years?
Which company did you get the warrantee through?
We are in the same boat. I checked out Good Sams, (which seemed to have a better deal than OUR dealer). I felt the "double coverage" didn't warrant the cost. We will be looking at the options again in the coming months.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

We are approaching our two year mark and will be purchasing the extended service contract within the next two weeks.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
We are approaching our two year mark and will be purchasing the extended service contract within the next two weeks.
Are you looking at Good Sam?
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #6

The one I'm honing in on is Wholesale warranties. The Good Sam says it is a Extended Service Plan, not a EW, not sure what that means or how it is different from the Extended Warrantee??? Anyone know.

Anyone have a EW with another provider?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #7

Any one looking for a reasonable quote for extended service contract? I have a friend who works for a RV Store and will not rip you off. She represents a good company that I used on my last 5er and now am covered under my RW. PM me and I will gladly give you her contact information. She tells me it don't matter what state you are in or from.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

I believe an extended warranty is for a stated period of time, where an extended service plan is yearly. Myself, I don't go for either. Have had them in the past, but overall, come out ahead by putting what they would cost me away, use that to make repairs it would cover, and come out money ahead. No guarantee, but generally the odds are in the favor of the company offering the warranty or service plan.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

I will look at the different types of roofs next time around. Less maintenance. Airstream or Excel. Excel has a rhino roof.