Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Design Changes

I believe Redwood has made a pretty good unit. Not bashing Redwood but I think they should incorporate a few changes to keep on top of the game. We all know the typical...better QC but other than that, on the model that you have, what should be changed. The following are my suggestions for the 36RL:

#1 make the batteries easier to maintain (this could be done with a tray)

#2 The LP bottles should be on a tray for easy refilling

#3 Put a a/c and heat duct in the front closet

#4 Move the washer dryer to the front closet to eliminate the water and drain hoses from having to move under the bed each time the slide is moved.

#5 the end of the slides should be painted to match the sides of the trailer. This would move Redwood up the ladder of class.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #2

We have the 36 FL and suggest the following points, in addition to most of the ones mentioned by Dave:

1 - Water filter and water pump access - they should create a ready external access to this area to save pulling everything out of the basement.

2 - Manual operation of the slides and landing gear - first they should provide detailed instructions how to operate system, including the location of the individual valves. Also locating the pump in a location where it is easier to insert the drill would be preferable.

3 - W/D closet, for those not wanting a W/D a great option would be shelving this cupboard at the factory for additional storage. Would have saved me a few days of work.

4 - Add an additional set of jacks at the rear of the coach

5 - Return the 38 FL living room layout to that of the 36 FL, but size the driver's slide to accommodate 2 recliners.

6 - Electric cable reel close to the ship/shore connection

7 - Electric stairs, if a reliable model is available

8 - Option to have all carpet deleted

9 - Option of a Maxx fan in the Living Room

10 - Option of an upgraded top quality A/V system - Bose speakers, better A/V receiver/amp, wireless system throughout the coach, etc.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Good suggestions
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Andy...you hit the nail on the head. Personally, we have yet to experience any issues related to the absence of rear jacks.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

All good ideas ... RW would be smart to monitor this thread (Jeff?) and pay attention. Since I don't have my unit yet, I can only add: improve the QC process at the factory. Provide rewards or incentives for workers on the line who find mistakes or problems. Then correct those problems on the spot. Provide incentive to dealers who do superlative PDIs, such as we've read about here in the past few days.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

We have the 31SL and off the top of my head I would make the following changes/additions:

1. Relocate the existing whole house filter for ease of use or offer a Kitchen Only filter and locate it under the kitchen sink.

2. Relocate the batteries so you don't have to get on your knees to check or service.

3. Every slide should operate with an independent switch. Every time I take my coach to my house to load for an upcoming trip I have to isolate the slides to open. Can't open slides on both sides at the same time due to width of street. Many fellow campers have told me that they sway away from a specific brand that does not offer independent switches. I have also found that with a long bed truck you cannot open the battery storage door all the way when hitched, meaning I have to crawl under the door to isolate a slide.

4. Install water manifold.

5. Offer a smaller residential refrigerator, especially for the 31SL. I'm not sure how large the current offering is but I assume it's around a 23-25 cu ft by the looks of it. People have full timed for years with a 12 cu ft RV fridge. Not everyone needs a huge 3-door fridge. A smaller 16-17 cu ft 2-door would work better in the 31SL, allowing for more cabinet space.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

1. Make one large door from floor to ceiling for access to the water pump and filter.
2. Have the power outlet mounted underneath the rear cap so the power cord hangs straight down so it does not hang out so far and does not make as much stress on the fiberglass and outlet.
3. Agree with others on the battery tray.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

The only thing I would have changed on mine was a King slide-in-slide, and they did that with the 38RL.

I honestly don't have any worthwhile complaints about the rest of it - it is a well designed and attractive coach!

Would agree Dave's #5 would look very "Prevosty" and I would pay for that option

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

The 36FB is very similar to the 36RL so my list is pretty much the same as Dave's with the exception of the W/D issue...I like having the entire front cap for closet, the W/D up there eats up way too much space for clothing.

Other wishes...
1. Power cord reel & storage in the rear, curb side section behind the kitchen/entertainment center slide
2. better sewer hose storage, one that would accommodate the newer, bigger diameter hoses
3. Water filter access.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Site Team

I still believe that one of the things that most folks deal with is the "Blue Slinky". Some of the upper end MH of the built in macerator pump.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
We have the 31SL and off the top of my head I would make the following changes/additions:

1. Relocate the existing whole house filter for ease of use or offer a Kitchen Only filter and locate it under the kitchen sink.

2. Relocate the batteries so you don't have to get on your knees to check or service.

3. Every slide should operate with an independent switch. Every time I take my coach to my house to load for an upcoming trip I have to isolate the slides to open. Can't open slides on both sides at the same time due to width of street. Many fellow campers have told me that they sway away from a specific brand that does not offer independent switches. I have also found that with a long bed truck you cannot open the battery storage door all the way when hitched, meaning I have to crawl under the door to isolate a slide.

4. Install water manifold.

5. Offer a smaller residential refrigerator, especially for the 31SL. I'm not sure how large the current offering is but I assume it's around a 23-25 cu ft by the looks of it. People have full timed for years with a 12 cu ft RV fridge. Not everyone needs a huge 3-door fridge. A smaller 16-17 cu ft 2-door would work better in the 31SL, allowing for more cabinet space.
Rick - noted your comment about opening the battery door when hitched. We have the same truck from 2012 and provided we are hitched straight the door opens OK, all be it with minimal clearance. I got Ford to install the hitch prep.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #12

Oriana,

I guess the reason why I have a problem is because I have the Rock Tamer Mud Flaps on my truck and that interferes with the door opening all the way.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

I cant open mine either - its about 1/4 inch off
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #14

Your hitch mounted a few inches forward or back can make the difference.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #15

I used the pre-made brackets for my specific truck so I really didn't have a choice. I don't think a problem would occur with a short bed though.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #16

I would like to see more skylight options in the living area. I really like Redwood, but I and others find them generally dark inside. Bigger windows and more of them would help also. On the 31sl I would like to see more slide length on either kitchen side or bedroom. Another words, expand the bathroom so more storage is available. Carriage had this type of configuration before.

- Come up with a more durable roof system.

- On the 31sl the awning does not extend far enough over the door/steps area to prevent
rain in that area. In fact, it cause more rain to fall in that area.

- I would like to see an external gas connection for hooking up external cooking equipment.

- Redwood should look to more partnering with other vendors who can add value to the 5th wheel experience. For example Redwood could partner with a bike rack provider or BBQ provider. Ideally each solution would consist of some type of unique value-add for Redwood.

- An integrated power cord reel/storage system is a must. Many cheaper 5th wheels offer it today.

- Bathroom towel hangers should be standard.

- Partner with brand name furniture companies and offer different options. My recommendation would be to stop investing in building your own furniture. Those resources could be focused on other differentiating features for Redwood.

- Offer an option for external speakers.

- Grey tanks would also benefit with an optional flush system.

- LED lighting over the stove top/under the microwave

- Offer properly installed shower doors (the doors seals are reversed in direction)

- Gooseneck LED lights over the bed for reading. Eliminate the flush mount. Many competitors already offer this.

I also agree with many of the other requests previously mentioned in this thread.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #17

I am pretty well satisfied with the way things are. A couple things are the individual slide switches and the rear stabilizer. A lot of the stuff a person can do themselves if they want. I put the rear stabilizer on, added the power cord real, Installed a propane hose from just before the regulator to the right side with a quick disconnect for the grill. I am planning on making a bigger door opening to gain access to the systems behind the storage wall. We use the closet area where the washer and dryer would go for a freezer and other bigger storage. I would guess that no matter what Redwood did, they wouldn't satisfy everyone and also the more you add, the higher the price.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #18
S&K

Suggestions for 36FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
The 36FB is very similar to the 36RL so my list is pretty much the same as Dave's with the exception of the W/D issue...I like having the entire front cap for closet, the W/D up there eats up way too much space for clothing.

Other wishes...
1. Power cord reel & storage in the rear, curb side section behind the kitchen/entertainment center slide
2. better sewer hose storage, one that would accommodate the newer, bigger diameter hoses
3. Water filter access.
X2 on all the above and
1. How about a drawer or two in the bathroom vanity?
2. Towel racks somewhere in the vicinity of the shower, and also haven't figured out what to do with my washcloth for the dishes. I did buy an 'over the door towel rack for both the kitchen area and the bathroom area, plus one to go over the bathroom door (outside near the shower).
3. A way to secure the slide out drawers in the pantry during transit. They do seem to shift and push out.
4. We really, really don't need a coat hook storage cabinet that doesn't fit our coats/jackets. Why not make it a full length unit for storing long things like brooms, mops and folding step stools?

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #19

Well they are listening some. They do now paint the slide ends and do have led lights above the bed and above the stove. They also have made the door larger for the water filter it can be done now with ease. Still a lot to improve on, they need to add the latches in the pantry that we've all installed, a way to secure the residential fridge and yes outdoor speakers would be nice. The outside TV in the slide is my favorite option that we got and almost didn't get it. I just ordered the power rear jacks I hope to tap into the power in the slide to run them. One model improvement that is huge is the rear compartment, I've got all my hoses and power cords in there. It's sure nice having them out of the basement storage.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #20

All great feedback! Will include this in the survey and feedback for Redwood @ the 2014 Rally. Keep it coming.......